View Full Version : Have You Tested Your Code With WM2003SE?

Janak Parekh
02-06-2005, 08:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=6a34dc83-c3ce-4a4c-ab83-491fd5729551&displaylang=en' target='_blank'>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...&displaylang=en</a><br /><br /></div>If you're a Windows Mobile developer and haven't tested your applications for new resolutions and orientations, now might be a good time... especially since <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37280">devices with newer screen layouts</a> are rumored to be right around the corner. ;) If you haven't seen it already, Microsoft has a handy little download to help you out.<br /><br />"Develop for the newest edition of Windows Mobile software. Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition offers new screen orientations and resolutions, including landscape, square and VGA support for Pocket PC and QVGA support for Smartphone.<br /><br />1. Read best practices in the whitepapers in the Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition Developer Resources package<br />2. Test your applications, using the Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition emulators for Pocket PC and Smartphone<br />3. Make your applications screen orientation and resolution independent, so you can target the full range of hardware innovations on the Windows Mobile platform with a single code base"

Wiggster
02-06-2005, 08:42 PM
Download available only to Genuine Microsoft Windows? What's the deal with that? If you think I'm about to download something from Microsoft just so they can see if I PAID for a product of theirs... you'd be right.

Anyways, this seems useful, but the information is already available on MSDN if you do a proper search about screen orientation or screen resolution. But putting the Best Practices in one place is a darned nifty idea. But it's still darned hard to have a program that looks good in 240x240 and 640x480 :wink:

Peter Foot
02-06-2005, 10:07 PM
If you click continue the next screen will allow you to continue without validating windows - pick "No, do not validate Windows at this time, but take me to the download."

Very strange I must admit, nromally this has been used for windows components such as Photo Story etc which plug directly into Windows XP

Peter

Janak Parekh
02-06-2005, 11:27 PM
Download available only to Genuine Microsoft Windows? What's the deal with that? If you think I'm about to download something from Microsoft just so they can see if I PAID for a product of theirs... you'd be right.
All Microsoft downloads will go through the genuine checker eventually, it appears. For now, as Peter said, you can click through.

But it's still darned hard to have a program that looks good in 240x240 and 640x480 :wink:
Indeed, I'm sure there will be certain classes of programs that won't scale to both.

--janak

Darius Wey
02-07-2005, 07:41 AM
Very strange I must admit, nromally this has been used for windows components such as Photo Story etc which plug directly into Windows XP

Some other downloads have been subjected to the same genuine checks for a while now, but most aren't mandatory. Only special components such as Photo Story required a mandatory check before you could download it. For others, you can simply click-through... for now that is.

Dave Beauvais
02-08-2005, 07:14 AM
All Microsoft downloads will go through the genuine checker eventually, it appears. For now, as Peter said, you can click through.
I dread that day, but we all know it's coming. Yet another Microsoft service which will force me to start up IE and re-enable ActiveX. :evil:

Wiggster
02-08-2005, 02:01 PM
I dread that day, but we all know it's coming. Yet another Microsoft service which will force me to start up IE and re-enable ActiveX. :evil:

Actually, I did it in Firefox with no problems. It takes you to a page that prompts you to download an EXE and run it, rather than an ActiveX control.

Dave Beauvais
02-09-2005, 06:52 AM
Well yes, for now it still works, but there are rumors that it will not be an optional step at some point in the future.