View Full Version : Need not be a phone.

scoobie
02-06-2005, 06:00 AM
I am looking for a Device that has a wide screen but small enough like a PDA yet not as expensive as the VAIO world's smallest true windows OS touchscreen 'PDA'.

My main purpose is to view documents like PDF, Word Doc & pictures.
I tested PDA pocket PCs of 4" screen size. But it seems a bit of a stretch to my eyes. 5"-6" would be ideal. Any Foldable Screens to make it compact? I heard of new age FOLED technology which has screens as flat as paper and bendable and emits wonderful colors. Any of you tech kings know of such product or can help me?

Thank you.

Wiggster
02-06-2005, 06:11 AM
I am looking for a Device that has a wide screen but small enough like a PDA yet not as expensive as the VAIO world's smallest true windows OS touchscreen 'PDA'.

My main purpose is to view documents like PDF, Word Doc & pictures.
I tested PDA pocket PCs of 4" screen size. But it seems a bit of a stretch to my eyes. 5"-6" would be ideal. Any Foldable Screens to make it compact? I heard of new age FOLED technology which has screens as flat as paper and bendable and emits wonderful colors. Any of you tech kings know of such product or can help me?

Thank you.

Foldable screens? Doesn't exist in the consumer market. Right now the best that you could get would be like the Nintendo DS; two screens that are attached with a hinge. The truly foldable or paper-thin displays are just in the development stage, they're far, far from ready for production. That's the reason that the top-of-the-line, $60,000 thin TVs you see are still three inches thick-- there's no way to make the screen as tiny as you want.

Bottom line, you can't get a 6" screen and have a small device, right now. 4" is going to be about as big as you can get on a Windows Mobile device. There aren't many PDA-form-factor Windows PCs, other than the OQO (http://www.oqo.com/) and Vaio U (http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/LC_ViewPage-Start?isurl=true&basetemplate=/lc/base/lc_hf.isml&page=static/lc/vaio/notebooks/u/index.isml). You may want to look into a Tablet PC; it'll be bigger, but it's the only way to get the screen size you want.

scoobie
02-08-2005, 07:11 AM
Dear Wiggy,

Would u know by chance, if the Word / Adobe Reader found in HP iPaq, the 4" one, comes with 'zooming' features? Due to the screen size, I most likely will frequently need to zooming to get the details in pdf or word doc or even powerpoint slides, that is if MS Powerpoint is also available on Pocket PC. I would like to think that the touchscreen & zooming features together should be able to address these needs.

Sad to say, if it does not come with flexible zooming feature, who can read from a 4" PDA with ease?

Btw, I need something that can fit into a pocket. I was so happy when I saw ads for VAIO U but the price also shocked me :mrgreen:

Thank you very much.

Regards,
Scoobie