View Full Version : PDA Browsing this forum

Hrun
02-04-2005, 07:23 PM
Now I finally have my Ipaq connected to the internet I am loving browsing the forumson it.

However the result is slow and awkward. Does a mobile version of this forum exist such as the one at 1src

http://www.1src.com/mobile/

This is a pleasure to use and I so wish for the same experience with this forum.

Heres hoping for a positive result

Giles

Wiggster
02-04-2005, 07:28 PM
It sure does! Just sign up as a subscriber (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/subscribe.php?&ssm.perform(home)=&) and then whenever you log in on your PDA, you'll be redirected to this nice mobile version.

http://www.wiggster.com/images/PPCTMobile.gif

Hrun
02-04-2005, 07:46 PM
Cheer for that - considering the media appear of many devices I am surprised they dont advertise it better.

My first thoughts were THEY WANT MONEY! See the 1src forum is free, but then I started thinking and at the end of the day I donated at 1src as they added something to my life (sad eh)

This is just another method of achieving the same result as running a community is not free. So count me in.

See you from my Ipaq

Wiggster
02-04-2005, 07:52 PM
Welcome to subscriberhood!

This site is well worth the price of half-a-cup-of-coffee a month. I come here daily, there's always something interesting. The benefits of joining are great; you can customize the layout of the site a little bit, get rid of ads, and keep food on Jason's table.

Hrun
02-04-2005, 08:08 PM
Welcome to subscriberhood!

This site is well worth the price of half-a-cup-of-coffee a month. I come here daily, there's always something interesting. The benefits of joining are great; you can customize the layout of the site a little bit, get rid of ads, and keep food on Jason's table.

How much for a coffee? expensive over there, you can get a whole cup for the same amount here in the UK. Biggest reason for me is the food on the table, although Jason must eat lightly if my subs are going to keep him in grub.

I am still surprised this option is not better advertised. I had found the mobile link but thought it was a read only version of the front page. There was no mention of the opportunity to access so much more.

Ps This is officially my first post on this forum on the small screen

Thanks once again for the link

Giles

applejosh
02-04-2005, 08:27 PM
After getting a wifi enabled PPC, I decided to try out the mobile version by doing the 2 week subscription demo thing. I registered pretty soon afterwards. It looks great on my QVGA iPAQ. (Plus, I'll probably be getting a case for my iPAQ soon, and the discounts at Sena will come in handy.)

Hrun
02-04-2005, 10:21 PM
After getting a wifi enabled PPC, I decided to try out the mobile version by doing the 2 week subscription demo thing. I registered pretty soon afterwards. It looks great on my QVGA iPAQ. (Plus, I'll probably be getting a case for my iPAQ soon, and the discounts at Sena will come in handy.)

Haven't managed to get the wifi working yet. I have an adhoc setup and whilst it says I have a connection I cannot do anything with it. May have to sort a router. In the meantime I am quite happy with a bluetooth connection which seems to be fine from the sofa :lol:

Giles

applejosh
02-04-2005, 10:44 PM
I used Bluetooth networking with my T3, but it was dreadfully slow (but then the only choice for the T3). I think I tried it with my iPAQ when I got it, but it wasn't nearly as fast as wifi. I do have an access point at home (it's WEP'd for all those who care - when it dies I'll get something with WPA) which I use for couch surfing or if I have to pull out the work laptop for actual work through my company's VPN, also from the couch. I've become such a lazy bum. :)

JD Silver
02-04-2005, 11:45 PM
Welcome to Pocket PC Thoughts!

Although I am subscriber, I usually do my mobile browsing using Thunderhawk as my browser. Thunderhawk is a combination of software that displays in landscape mode, and a server-based service that reformats the page to fit. It is MUCH faster than Pocket IE. The downside is the monthly fee of about $5 US. I even use it on my PPC / Phone device (Samsung i700) and it is reasonably quick using 1xRTT to connect. Try it for 30 days free of charge at www.bitstream.com

Have fun!

Hrun
02-05-2005, 12:09 AM
I used Bluetooth networking with my T3, but it was dreadfully slow (but then the only choice for the T3). I think I tried it with my iPAQ when I got it, but it wasn't nearly as fast as wifi.

Ah, but you have to understand I am still on a dialup connection so bluetooth speed in not an issue.

frankenbike
02-05-2005, 04:04 AM
Since I did the reg hack to get Pocket IE and FTXPBrowser recognized as IE6, I don't get the mobile version of PPCT except for the home page. The forums are the same format as the desktop version.

applejosh
02-05-2005, 05:51 AM
Ah, but you have to understand I am still on a dialup connection so bluetooth speed in not an issue.

A-ha. That does make a difference. Stick with bluetooth at home and use wifi at your local coffee shop. :)

Janak Parekh
02-05-2005, 07:27 AM
Cheer for that - considering the media appear of many devices I am surprised they dont advertise it better.
Hmm - interesting - I'll pass that bit of info along to Jason. I wonder if he should put a small informational string on the desktop forums when browsed from a mobile device.

My first thoughts were THEY WANT MONEY! See the 1src forum is free, but then I started thinking and at the end of the day I donated at 1src as they added something to my life (sad eh)
There's a simple reason: it's not practical for both bandwidth nor space purposes to put ad banners on the mobile forums, so Jason decided to make it a subscriber feature.

This is just another method of achieving the same result as running a community is not free. So count me in.
Welcome, and thanks for your support - we appreciate it. :D

--janak

Janak Parekh
02-05-2005, 07:30 AM
Since I did the reg hack to get Pocket IE and FTXPBrowser recognized as IE6, I don't get the mobile version of PPCT except for the home page. The forums are the same format as the desktop version.
Depends on if you're a subscriber. The mobile forums will only activate if all of the following conditions are true:

1. You visit with a browser that uses a mobile browser string;
2. You are a subscriber;
3. You are logged in.

If any of the three are not true, you get the desktop forums.

--janak

Hrun
02-05-2005, 09:39 PM
Hmm - interesting - I'll pass that bit of info along to Jason. I wonder if he should put a small informational string on the desktop forums when browsed from a mobile device.

Welcome, and thanks for your support - we appreciate it. :D

--janak

Thanks. boy my spelling is bad on this machine.
I think it needs more than a string? from the forum. I found the mobile site ok (just add /mobile to the web addy) but once on there it appeared to be just a reader of the front page. I saw no indication that I could access the forums from that page. Hence this thread.

Giles