View Full Version : Recommended Freeware CD --> mp3 Converter?

Lex
02-04-2005, 03:12 AM
Never tried music on the PPC so I'm hoping this post is OK here. Is there a good freeware CD to mp3 converter to use on the PC so I can put music on the PPC?

mattp
02-04-2005, 03:25 AM
I think there is a ton of free software that will convert music CDs to mp3. MusicMatch is one that I've used to do this in the past.

Alot of people prefer wma to mp3. Not sure, but I'd think Windows Media Player would convert them and they play well on a ppc.

Darius Wey
02-04-2005, 03:28 AM
CDex? (http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/) Even still, Windows Media Player does the job.

MacBriar
02-04-2005, 01:55 PM
I have used CDEX to rip my entire CD collection to 256K MP3s for my HTPC, I also used this program to rip selected CDs to WMA 96K which I find a perfect balance of size+quality for listening on my PocketPC (at 96K an album is generally about 40MB).

CDEX gets my vote for being free, easy to use and ripping to a number of formats; MP3, WMA, WAV, Monkeys Audio, and I think EAC. It gets album information from a free CDDB and the only feature which I think would be a welcome addition would be the ability to automatically retrieve album art.

More information at http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/

Hope this helps.

Ewan

CTSLICK
02-04-2005, 07:51 PM
Another vote for CDex, good stuff and free to boot.

phritosan
02-04-2005, 10:12 PM
i love dBpowerAmp, but i cant recall if its free or not...

:wink:

ctmagnus
02-04-2005, 10:39 PM
I was going to suggest that one as well, as it is free. Some of the plugins for it aren't free, however.

Hrun
02-04-2005, 11:01 PM
Must admit I have been using iTunes lately, mostly because I am pleased with the player aspect and if I rip the songs with it they are automatically added to the playlists.

cDex is alsp superb, free and offers lots of adjustment so gets a vote from me.

MROX
02-05-2005, 02:35 AM
CDex is the one for me too. I recommend that one for sure.

Sven Johannsen
02-05-2005, 03:32 AM
There's always Windows MP10...it's free, does mp3 (and wma BTW). It seems to me that ripping music has to be somewhat standardized if the resultant file is to be compatible with the standard. There can certainly be UI differences and some user options in the ripper, data rate, file name structure, but an mp3 is an mp3 (or a wma is a wma). I expect that more can be done with the player as you take a standard digitized file and reconstruct it, or play it, with potential options I'm sure.

DaViD_BRaNDoN
02-05-2005, 11:13 AM
Try dBpowerAmp (freeware). Has supports for many audio formats

Strayyycat
02-06-2005, 04:32 PM
I have used one called Free CD-DA Extractor for a long time now. You can get it at www.poikosoft.com. It's fast, gets info from freedb, and can convert to and from a variety of formats.

From the author:
Easy CD-DA Extractor supports following audio file formats: MP1, MP2, MP3, Windows Media Audio 8, Windows Media Audio 9, Windows Media Audio 9.1, Ogg Vorbis, MP4, M4A, AAC, FLAC, Musepack, VQF, WAV, AIFF, Monkey's Audio, and Shorten. Also, the Nero Digital (Nero AAC) is supported if you have the Nero Burning ROM installed on your computer.

Privacy Policy: Easy CD-DA Extractor is safe software; It does not install adware or spyware. It does not change any system settings. It does not install any system drivers. It does not install any files to Windows system folders. Easy CD-DA Extractor installs all its files to its installation folder which you can specify during the installation. You can easily uninstall the software from the Windows Add/Remove Programs.

Company information: Poikosoft is a one man company located in Finland, Europe. Easy CD-DA Extractor is a software developed and maintained by Jukka Poikolainen. First Easy CD-DA Extractor version was available in December 1997, it was the first CD-ripper that was able to rip CD's to MP3.