View Full Version : what is "Microsoft SQLCE 2.0"?

phritosan
02-03-2005, 11:00 PM
i was going through my remove programs list and found "Microsoft SQLCE 2.0" on my device, but i cant recall why i have it installed. it takes up quite a bit of room. can anyone think of what i might have installed this for? i know its a long shot. if a list of programs i have installed would help, let me know

thanks! :)

Don Tolson
02-03-2005, 11:45 PM
From what I've seen doing reviews, SQLCE is a reduced version of MS' SQL Server relational database software. Many Pocket PC programs which store and maintain a small database use this as a framework. I suspect it is a library of routines for storing, retrieving, and otherwise managing the database.

I don't have a comprehensive list of applications which make use of this library, but maybe if you check back through the applications you do have installed, one of them might need it. If not, the alternative is always a) do a backup; b) remove SQLCE; c) see if anything stops working.

mattp
02-04-2005, 03:14 AM
I recently got the copy of MasterSoft Money Lite when Handango was offering it for free, and it also installed SQLCE as well. Maybe you got this program, too? I didn't even realize it was on there until I was recently moving several programs from main to flash memory.

phritosan
02-27-2005, 11:24 PM
*update from the thread grave*

it turns out that pocket e-sword installs it as well. im trying to remove the program from my device, without success. it wont delete a font (the one thats 1.5M!), same problem i had getting pocket uno off.

i reinstalled pocket e-sword, maybe i can get it off now

*update edit*

reinstall installs 3 different fonts that it also cant remove. however, going through memmaid to file explore, i can delete the fonts and then uninstall.

ctmagnus
02-27-2005, 11:30 PM
To delete a font, you'll have to change the file extension of the font, soft-reset the device and than delete it.

Lex
03-13-2005, 03:30 PM
To delete a font, you'll have to change the file extension of the font, soft-reset the device and than delete it. Thanks for that tip CT ! I don't like carrying extra font baggage either.

Kowalski
03-14-2005, 09:39 AM
sql CE is a standalone database server which is strip down version of SQL, and a companion to SQL server.
a couple of mounths ago, i installed a program called achive it! and it installed SQL CE on my device.

you shouldnt uninstall the service unless you are desperate on storage space, because a program relying on this service will check the system if the service exists, and if it is there, wont install a second instance. if you remove the service any other programs relying on SQL CE will cease to work

phritosan
03-16-2005, 05:28 AM
i removed it because it was taking up too much space, that was several months and 6 posts ago. i hadnt tried pocket bible since then. when i did, it didnt work, wouldnt uninstall the font, so i reinstalled, saw that it installed sql, deleted the font, and uninstalled both.

dead topic, thanks for the help everyone