View Full Version : Happy with your X50?

Orbsplateau
02-03-2005, 10:17 PM
Hi,

I'm consdering buying either the
X50 416
X50 520
or H2215

in the next few days... jut wanted to know, are you guys happy with your X50?

does anyone own the 416Mhz version?

I'm a little hesitant because I've never seen an X50 up-close. A little worried that at 165grams, it will feel too heavy compared to my 120grams h1910.

I was also worried about the display quality, but I've been told that the screen is top notch.

any comments are appreciated since i'm having a hard-time deciding.

dstrauss
02-03-2005, 11:26 PM
EVERYTHING is going to feel too big/heavy compared to your 1910 - the best form factor EVER in PPC or Palm arena. However, the specs of the x50 (particualrly the v model) are incredible. If size is critical, only the 4150 will do (same as 1910 WITH bluetooth and WiFi) but only available as a refurb or eBay anymore. Why HP dropped that form factor is a complete mystery to me (the new "Media" serieis can't hold a candle to it).

Don Tolson
02-03-2005, 11:48 PM
Is the X50 really in the same price range as a iPAQ 2215? I thought the X50's were considerably more expensive.

Ripper014
02-04-2005, 01:57 AM
The model he is referring to is the x50... it is missing the "V" for VGA... I believe this is a QVGA device. I am not an expert on Dell ppc's so I could be wrong...

Orbsplateau
02-04-2005, 05:42 AM
Size/weight is a bit of an issue since I always have my PDA with me.
I think I've been a bit spoiled by the h1910.

I got an h1910 after my cassiopeia, mostly to take advantage of the small size and low weight.

The h4150 is available on ebay. Some are refurbished but some claim to be new. They sell for about te same price as the 416Mhz X50.

One thing that worries me about the h19xx and h41xx is their fragile nature and build quality. I went through three h19xx units before the warranty finally ran out. My h1910 was beautiful, but it felt a little flimsy. The screen would break easily.

Their battery life is short too. On same days. this was an issue.

---
as for the h2210, it's actually MORE expensive than a X50 basic (416Mhz). It's slightly cheaper than a X50 mid (520Mhz).

---
yes, only the X50v sports a VGA screen. The other 2 have a trans-reflective QVGA screen found on most modern PDAs.

shawnc
02-04-2005, 01:32 PM
I gave my Axim to my son when I purchased my 4150. Two things I can say for certain, there is nothing flimsy about the build quality/feel and the battery life is simply incredible.

No VGA and the latest OS are the only downside to owning the 4150. I've been trying to buy a new PPC for over a year and none of the new models even comes close to tempting me.

Orbsplateau
02-04-2005, 05:00 PM
thanks for your comment guys, I'd still like to hear more about the X50 if anyone would like to share their thoughts.

I'm officially considering the h4150 as well since I found some new units on ebay. I posted a message in the ipaq thread to get some more info.

MROX
02-05-2005, 02:28 AM
I got my X50v since about a month.

Since you are looking for the X50 maybe, I'll only tell you that the weight is ok. Not light as my old Palm, but weight was a concern for me and I can well live with my X50v.

I have to say that I would have bought anything else then Dell if my requirement could have been reach with other PPC.
Before I had it in my hand I tough it was the ugliest PPC. Now still think the sylver plastic is not my first choice, but still it's a nice looking device.

The design... Wow! It feel REAL good in my hand. Those radius at the base are just perfect. I can fit it in my coat and even in my pants pocket and it's still confortable enough and it doesn't show up too much because of those radius.

I can manage my battery life for a regular day without too much problem, but I will need a second batterie for sure.

I have to say, I'm really statisfy with the product.

Good luck!

Mona13
02-05-2005, 03:14 AM
I love my x50v. It's the best PPC I've ever owned and I've owned quite a few, all were iPAQ's from 3600 to the 5555.

It feels better in my hand, more stable, better clarity, etc.

The only thing I miss is the extra main memory, but it hasn't caused problems so far. I am more cautious about adding software to main memory than with the 5555 though. I have a 1 gig SD & 1 gig CF card and really like having both.

Battery life hasn't been a problem. It's in a cradle at work, but I bought two extra standard size batteries just in case. I haven't had to use either one of them yet. I keep a cradle at home with the PPC in it using the Dockware Pro screensaver. It's always ready to go and makes a great picture frame!

Atomb
02-05-2005, 08:42 PM
i recently got my x50mid (520MHz) and i'm very happy with it. my friend has the 2215 and if you're coming from a 19xx then the 2215 will really disappoint you. not to mention the build quality issues with the rubber grips coming off...

the x50mid is essentially the 4150 with 2 memory slots (CF and SD) and 2003SE operating system. For pretty much the same price.

I looked at the 4150 and the dell x50mid and after listing both of their benefits it was an easy decsion. i can live with a slighlty longer shape (maybe 1/8" ?) for dual slots (i use a canon Digital camera which uses CF and i need that slot) and 2003SE...

the build quality is equal to the 4150 and 3715 i've compared at the electronic stores so i wouldn't worry about the dell's build.

i guess i'll push for the x50 mid because that's what i just bought, but i bought it after a few weeks of serious research and comparison and that was my final choice!

Good luck!

Menneisyys
02-06-2005, 12:50 PM
You may also want to check out http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37309 - almost the same subject.

Orbsplateau
02-09-2005, 07:36 PM
thanks guy, your comments have been very helpful.

I'm especially happy that not many of you have complained about your X50s.

Although I haven't decided 100% between the 4150 and the X50, I'll probably get the X50 if I can get it for a good price.

I'm not bothered by the size so much anymore. This weekend I had the chance to try a Toshiba e830 and I didn't find it too big. The x50 is slightly smaller than e830.

what's holding me back now is the price. I can get the 4150 for about the same price as an entry level x50 (if not for less).
Maybe I'll wait around for a good deal.

drop
02-09-2005, 10:41 PM
OK, I'll bite.

I know you want a 4100-like X50. But would you even consider an X50v?

If you watch it, Dell often put out incredible deal. According to this post (http://www.aximsite.com/boards/showthread.php?t=71197), for one day, on 2/8, X50v was $379.

Jeff00000168
02-10-2005, 02:14 AM
I just wrote and erased 2 long paragraphs...

Long story short...

Get a Pocket PC with at least 520MHz :)

MROX
02-10-2005, 05:41 AM
Maybe I'll wait around for a good deal.

As drop said, if you wanna hunt for a deal, keep a eye on the X50v also. It's worth it!

Orbsplateau
02-10-2005, 05:04 PM
I just wrote and erased 2 long paragraphs...

Long story short...

Get a Pocket PC with at least 520MHz :)

You shouldn't have said that.... now i'm really curious, what was in those 2 paragraphs?

Yes, the 520Mhz is faster than the 416Mhx version but other than that... why at least 520Mhx?

Also keep in mind that with Canadian pricicing, I have the choice between buying the
X50 520Mhz Advanced
X50 416Mhz Standard + 512MB Sandisk CF card + 1 year "complete care" + leather case
X50 416Mhz Standard + 2 year "complete care"

All 3 options cost the same... and given that I don't have wifi at home I don't think i'll be using it much. My cell phone is bluetooth enabled, couldn't I just use that to connect to the net if I really needed to?

this is why i was leaning towards the X50 standard

Orbsplateau
02-10-2005, 05:09 PM
x50v? hmm... thanks for the heads-up but it's a little out of my price range... especially since if I bought it, then I would also like to buy an extended warranty to protect my investment.

Unfortunately, the deals you guys mention are NEVER seen in Canada.

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37466

I'd have get a friend in the US the buy it for me.

Menneisyys
02-10-2005, 05:18 PM
In Canada, the Toshiba e830 is also pretty cheap - every considered it? Not the smallest/lightest unit (to put it mildly), but you can get it at an unbeatable price.

xxpinballxx
02-10-2005, 06:44 PM
Just opened the Axim x50v.....Sure hope it stacks up to my expectations.....If not I will be anxiously waiting my back ordered treo 650!

drop
02-10-2005, 07:16 PM
Now I understand. I don't know too much about X50/v pricings outside of US.

I am not commenting on the "complete care". Different person has different needs. (I didn't buy any additional warranty on my X5 or X50v)

However, do find out if you could get memory card or case from elsewhere. I often find other vendors sell these products at a more reasonable price with a lot better selection. Again, things might be different in Canada.

MPSmith
02-22-2005, 03:07 AM
x50v? hmm... thanks for the heads-up but it's a little out of my price range... especially since if I bought it, then I would also like to buy an extended warranty to protect my investment.

Unfortunately, the deals you guys mention are NEVER seen in Canada.

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37466

I'd have get a friend in the US the buy it for me.

My advice is either go with the X50v or don't go Axim X50 at all. The lesser models don't appear worth it to me for the price. I've got an X50v and LOVE it. I wouldn't have any other PPC. Nuff said...

Edit: I've changed my mind (and right quick!!!). After some quick research, I see that you can get a "lesser" X50 for a great deal.... $234 USD for the 416 mhz unit. That's pretty awesome...
Also, the X50v is available right now for $394 USD.

Atomb
02-23-2005, 07:27 PM
Heya Orbs,

I didn't realize you were in Canada (so am I)

In January i got the x50 mid (520MHz) on sale for $449. When i was going through the 'customize it' feature, i noticed that the memory cards were quite a bit cheaper than the devoted page for the memory cards on the dell site.

I ended up getting the 1GB SD card for $81 (CDN!).

I would wait until there is at least a $50 off sale and get the mid then. I happens about once a month on the dell.ca site.

As for not having wifi at home and therefore not needing it...i had the same thought, but now that i have wifi i am amazed at how many places there are where i can use it (not to mention the 5 networks i have in my own living room from neighbours that don't protect their networks!). I'm glad i spent the little bit more for wifi and i know you won't regret it either.

jumping to the x50v is nice and i almost did. but i took a serious look at my 'PDA needs' and couldn't justify the $599 CDN price.

Like the saying goes "nobody ever gets a bad deal!" (because nobody ever wants to admit it!) so use your judgement and piece together what everybody says here.

i know you'll find wifi fascinating (like i found out!) and based on what i'm reading, you may be in the same boat as me and not require the higher end VGA screen (and cost associated with it) of the x50v.

good luck!

Orbsplateau
03-02-2005, 08:37 PM
Hey Atomb,

I really appreciate your sincere thoughts on this issue.

I finally placed my order... and I got the 416Mhz version. I just received my X50 today. I almost got the X50mid but i changed my mind at the last minute.

I had a chance to use a friend's Wifi enabled PDA for a few days and I don't see myself using it very much. I admit it would be very handy... but mostly for mylaptop. The wifi drained the PDA's battery too quickly... so I realized i might need an extra battery if I got a X50mid.

My budget was really limited here (this wasn't a "planned" purchase. My ipaq died on me and I needed a quick replacement. I had just spent big bucks on a new digital camera and a cellphone).

I spent the money I saved on the 416 on a 1-GIG Lexar SD card (TigerDirect). I also got a Wifi card for my laptop.

I expect to replace my PDA and cellphone in 2 years... at which time I'll probably "combine" the two and get a PDA phone with Wifi and the works.

I'd like to thank everyone for their comments. It made making my decision a bit easier.

Sven Johannsen
03-02-2005, 11:04 PM
I also got a Wifi card for my laptop. .

Did you think to get a CF WiFi card with PCMCIA adapter for your laptop? Then you could have used it in the Axim as well. :)

Orbsplateau
03-03-2005, 01:17 AM
Did you think to get a CF WiFi card with PCMCIA adapter for your laptop? Then you could have used it in the Axim as well. :)

Nope! didn't thank of that... it's a good idea though. Getting the best of both worlds.

Guess how much I paid for my Wifi card though... $16.99 CAD! That's like... $13.50 US (it was a disconitnued model).