View Full Version : BargainPDA Review The Zaurus SL-C3000

Jonathon Watkins
02-03-2005, 01:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.bargainpda.com/default.asp?newsID=2379' target='_blank'>http://www.bargainpda.com/default.asp?newsID=2379</a><br /><br /></div><i>"The new Zaurus SL-C3000 from Sharp is a linux-based PDA incorporating an Intel XScale PXA270 CPU at 416 MHz. It has a 640 by 480 pixel screen and is physically quite similar to the previous Zaurus clamshell models, the main difference being that it has a 4 GB hard drive built in. That's quite a step forward and delivers speed and mass storage at a price which would be very hard to match in Compact Flash (CF) or Secure Digital (SD) format."</i><br /><br />Ian Giblin from BargainPDA has done another mammoth sized review of a Linux based PDA, the Sharp Zaurus SL-C3000. (The linked front page carries the introduction, features and conclusions, while mid-sections will open in separate pages for in-depth analysis). The SL-C3000 is not sold in the U.S., but is available via import electronics reseller Dynamism, who convert the Japanese device to English and provide technical support and a warranty program. Reading the review, it strikes me that as with many of the Zaurus range, the hardware seems excellent but is let down by the software. Ian says that you will probably need to buy third-party software, should 'be prepared to do some customisation' and had to run a text line command as the super-user to convert a few more of the menus to English. This is definitely a case of W?BIC! Personally I prefer to be on the cutting edge, rather than the bleeding edge. ;-)

dh
02-03-2005, 02:28 AM
Reading the review, it strikes me that as with many of the Zaurus range, the hardware seems excellent but is let down by the software. Ian says that you will probably need to buy third-party software, should 'be prepared to do some customisation' and had to run a text line command as the super-user to convert a few more of the menus to English.
Spot on about the hardware, the clamshells from Sharp are in a class of their own.

The only reason there is an issue with the software, is that the models sold here are using a translated version of the ROM that is supplied by Sharp.

With the other clamshells, the 750, 760 and 860, there are serveral third party ROMs (basically Linux distributions) that are available. These are designed to run in English , are free and are no more difficult to install than a ROM upgrade on a PocketPC.

I have the Cacko ROM on my 860 and it is just fantastic. It's much more stable than any of the MS OS versions, can't remember ever having to reboot my system.

As mentioned in the review, the built-in PIM apps are not the greatest (just like with PocketPCs-but there are excellent third party apps that rival programs such as Pocket Informant.

Most Zaurus apps are free (an advantage of an OpenSource OS), I've only every had to buy two - Textmaker and StageOne.

Once the 3000 has been around a bit longer, the community will produce new ROMs for it to elliminate the need to use the translated Sharp version. It will be a great mobile device when that happens.

The only thing missing (and the reason I have not bought one) is the lack of embedded wireless. I can't imagine launching a high end mobile device without this.

Typhoon
02-03-2005, 07:45 AM
[quote=Jonathon Watkins]Once the 3000 has been around a bit longer, the community will produce new ROMs for it to elliminate the need to use the translated Sharp version. It will be a great mobile device when that happens.

...I was never able to get over the fact that it is one inch.

Snail
02-03-2005, 05:05 PM
Hmm... I've always quite liked the look of the clamshell Zaurus's (Zauri?), but I've been too much of a Luddite to take the Linux plunge... Plus the price is a major obstacle to get over!