View Full Version : Backup and restore software?

wsegard
02-02-2005, 09:31 PM
Does anyone know of any software that will do a full backup and restore of my Toshiba e800? The Wifi switch has quit working and it is still under warranty. I want to be able to do a complete backup of the unit, then be able to use that backup on a new or replacement unit that Toshiba will probably send me. I am hoping to skip using Active Sync to restore my information. It is so cumbersome and takes so long, especially when restoring my data from other installed programs. The backup software that came with the unit does a wonderful job whenever I have had to do a hard reset, but I am told by Toshiba that it will not work on a different unit even if it is the same model and I have the backup stored on a memory card.

buzzard
02-02-2005, 09:42 PM
Sprite...available here http://www.spritesoftware.com/home.html
the premium version saves the backup on your PC, the basic will save it on a memory card

Wiggster
02-02-2005, 09:50 PM
Just to be safe, you should do an ActiveSync backup as well. Yea, it'll take time, but since you're sending the unit away anyway, it'll be worth the 30 minutes to have anothcr backup.

yankeejeep
02-03-2005, 02:45 PM
The built-in Data Backup app on the Toshiba does a good job, or has for me. You want to make sure that you choose full backup rather than PIM only. I carry a couple of backup files on a CF card, the most recent as well as my last-known good backup, and they have saved my beans a couple of times when I've been away from the office.

While a backup on ActiveSync is a good idea as a last resort, I have had problems with AS backups in the past a find the included Data Backup much more trustworthy.

Ripper014
02-03-2005, 08:43 PM
I agree... the built-in backup or Sprite is a huge advantage... especially when you are away from you home computer. I always carry one backup when I know that I will not be able to access my desktop for any prelonged period of time. There is nothing more frustrating than not being able to use your device.

Thankfully it has only happened to me a few times... and only on the Hp2210... it seems everytime it got dropped it reset. Even once... when it slipped out of my jacket and I caught it before it hit the ground it reset.

Anyway... carry the backup... 5 minutes and your back up and running. You only need to use it once to see it was worth the effort.

wsegard
02-04-2005, 10:24 PM
Thanks so much for all the suggestions. I know it is best to do an Active Sync and of course I do that on a daily basis. But in my case this can take anywhere from 8 hours to 2 days to do a full reinstall. One of the slowest programs I run is Franklin-Covey's Plan Plus. So if there is a way to do a good restore without using Active Sync, It's worth it. The Toshiba installed backup software that came with the unit has saved my but on several occasions. By the way, I am using SPB Pocket Plus on my unit as per past recommendations on this forum. It is wonderful. I use my Toshiba at the Jim when I work out to listen to audable books and with this PocketPC and it’s Hold button (used to disable all external buttons) keeps it from starting other programs while in my pocket. And the Pocket Plus Screen Toggle feature not only shuts down the screen (while continuing to play the books or music and saving battery power) it keeps any screen taps from starting other programs. It’s been worth every penny. I am going to try the Sprite Backup, It sounds great.