View Full Version : Pocket PC FM Radio

hoffm11
02-01-2005, 06:37 PM
Has anyone used any of the Pocket PC radio ad ons such as the iBiz PocketRadio? Your experiences?

tchart
02-02-2005, 02:21 AM
as far as I know they dont work with PPC 2003, not sure why. Maybe they have a new version out nowadays...

Also a major downside is that although you can control the radio with your PPC you have to listen to the radio via the headphone jack on the card and not through your PPC's headphone jack

Ripper014
02-02-2005, 06:56 AM
Works on my updated Hp2200... works on my Toshiba e830... so I believe that it works on 2003... do I use it... never. Why did I buy it...? I was cheap... lol...

Does it work... yes... as mentioned it only plays out of the headset... and you need to plug into at output port on the cf card... but it is not a big deal. I could see using it if it was both "AM" and "FM"... as it is... I don't really see the point. I would "AM" for sporting events.

kozak
02-02-2005, 04:22 PM
Only way I'd use it if they didn't stick out so much out of the CF card slot. You're always trying to get as compact as you can but some manufacturers just love to add bulk.

ipaqczar
02-02-2005, 07:37 PM
Hi,

I don't have one but the reviews I've read online say the CF radio cards are a waste of money.

Think about it - you can get a small FM portable radio at dollar stores that will perform the same function.

I picked one up on a trip to Texas - it included the little radio, headphones, and 2 AAA batteries for $1.

Now their are drawbacks - it only had a scan button - so if you wanted to switch back and forth between stations it was a pain.

Does someone have a brand name CF radio card that does both AM and FM? That might increase the value somewhat.

Ripper014
02-02-2005, 08:22 PM
As I said I neither love them or hate them... but they do work. But I did want to clear something up... you can set channels... there are 3 bands... allowing 6 stations per band, so you can preset 18 stations.

The unit does protrude out about an inch... and since I have a Sena case... it does not work well with my unit if I want the cover closed. My point is that it does work as advertised.

I am not making any judgement as to its worth to any individual. Actually since you brought it up... I just pulled it out and am using it as we speak.

ipaqczar
02-02-2005, 09:08 PM
Hi Ripper014,

Can you post the name of the AM/FM card? All of the ones I have seen are FM only.

Do you have any info about the antenna inside the card - i.e. is it pretty decent?

carphead
02-03-2005, 10:41 AM
I have a Ambicom CF-FM which I got as a freebie from Dell when I brought my X50.

It works in 2003SE (VGA) fine. As a FM Radio it's fine but I wouldn't buy one. Far better to buy a small FM radio.

Ripper014
02-03-2005, 08:25 PM
Hi Ripper014,

Can you post the name of the AM/FM card? All of the ones I have seen are FM only.

Do you have any info about the antenna inside the card - i.e. is it pretty decent?

Sorry I think you must have misunderstood my post... my card is FM only I have never seen a card that provides both. As far as the quality of the broadcasts... it is ok... nothing great.

I have the iBiz card... I think I got it for either $9.99 or $19.99 I can't remember... but it was on sale... and I find it hard to sometimes resist a sale. Plus I seem to somehow justify that I will use it... in this case. No... I have never really used it. But like I said... if it has AM... then I might just to listen to sporting events...