View Full Version : Dave's iPAQ Reviews the iTech Bluetooth Virtual Keyboard

Darius Wey
02-01-2005, 12:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://davesipaq.com/articles/iPAQ_Bluetooth%20Virtual%20Keyboard_iTECH_2P.html' target='_blank'>http://davesipaq.com/articles/iPAQ_...d_iTECH_2P.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"A new era of wireless mobile communications is about to begin with the introduction of the world's first wireless Virtual Keyboard by iTECH. The Bluetooth VKB is an enhanced version of their Virtual Keyboard (VKB), which is a tiny device slightly larger than a pack of gum that projects a full-size keyboard on any flat surface through a unique system using infrared technology. Truly, we are about to enter into an era of unprecedented convenience!"</i><br /><br />Jack, over at Dave's iPAQ, managed to have a look at the iTech Bluetooth Virtual Keyboard <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36789">I posted on a week ago</a>. Are any of you interested in purchasing this accessory?

freitasm
02-01-2005, 12:23 AM
Interesting... I remember correctly that was one of the few sites that also posted a review of the ill fater iBiz Laser virtual Keyboard. I wonder if this is the cause of the demiss of the product :twisted:

marcm
02-01-2005, 12:34 AM
Hmm... I think I'll stick to my ThinkOutside BT keyboard... This is a neat concept though. Maybe more competition will drive the costs of other BT keyboards down... :D

Racer-X
02-01-2005, 12:50 AM
Not sure I like any of these virtual keyboards. Who wants to tap on the table top? :?

Looks like Dave really likes it though based on the comments at Gizmodo. (http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/peripherals/input/itech-bluetooth-virtual-keyboard-reviewed-031655.php) :lol:

24va
02-01-2005, 12:56 AM
ok, I know that this is bleeding edge, but I would still expect to see $224.99 in the Con section :)

Vincent M Ferrari
02-01-2005, 01:39 AM
I just wouldn't want it, period. It seems silly to me, to be honest.

It's almost in polar opposition to what the trend in PDA keyboards is. They're getting more touch-typable, while this thing is out there that basically requires you to look at it to type.

Nice wowie kazowie neato skeato buzz type toy, but beyond that, I think its use is seriously limited.

mcsouth
02-01-2005, 01:45 AM
I suppose 'never-say-never' is probably in order here, but there are a few things that I question about this device that I don't see mentioned in this review...

As 24va mentions, I see the $225 as a huge con - sure, this may be bleeding edge, but this is a pretty deep cut! :lol: Seriously, that is a lot of money for a keyboard, and when I consider the pause I had about $100 for a Dell BT keyboard, $225 is not even a consideration.

Given the tall, slender shape, how well will this device 'stand up' on less than perfect surfaces. I can imagine trying to use this on an airplane, with the movement of the tray table causing this to constantly tip over while in mid sentence.

Dave sure seems to rave about his typing experience with this device, but admits he is not much of a touch typist. I seriously wonder how this can compare to a conventional keyboard, where you can find your home position by feel, and the resistance of the keys is part of the experience. Wouldn't 'touch-typing' on a table top be hard on your fingers, causing carpal tunnel, repetitive stress syndrome, or something similar to set in fairly quickly? You may argue that this is intended for casual use, but the price certainly takes it out of that realm in a hurry for a lot of us.

I don't know....I may have to eat crow later on this issue, but I seriously question the overall efficiency of something like this. The "WOW" factor certainly can't be ignored, but for that kind of money, I'd rather shop for a PMP or other, more useful device.....

rmasinag
02-01-2005, 02:57 AM
I would definitely spring for one of these! But no more than $150. So it's only novelty for the time being. :(

Jack Cook
02-01-2005, 03:08 AM
mcsouth

Actually it is quite surprising to see how stable it is. The position of the sensors inside and their weight give the device great stability. I would not be concerned about it tipping over in a plane...actually if that ever happened, I'd be more concerned if we were going to make it.

It is a different feel but you become used to it very quickly. And no, there is no pain in my fingers…you would be surprised how well it works. There is a “click” sound that you can enable that gives a similar feeling you get when type on a regular keyboard. It’s pretty cool actually.

Jack

OneAngryDwarf
02-01-2005, 07:19 AM
for the price no thanks... but awesome idea... integrate these things cheaply in the future and we have a whole new level of convenience... sure it isn't going to be as nice as a real keyboard but you can use a real one if you have it and the virtual one when you don't have the space. I mean I carry my ppc around naked in my pocket and 99.9% of the time have absolutely no room to carry a keyboard around so something like this (at a cheaper price point would be awesome)... maybe in like 2-3 years!

cubed
02-01-2005, 04:14 PM
I have the perfect solution...

Since the virtual keyboard needs a flat, clean surface such as a desk or table, you could just take an actual keyboard and set it down on the flat surface in front of you. Then, position the virtual keyboard so that the holographic display is in line over the top of the actual keyboard. This will allow you to feel your way around and have the resitivity and other olfactory sensations of a real keyboard experience!!!

Oh, wait. I guess at this point, you could just plug in the actual keyboard.

Sarcasm aside...this is pretty cool. I don't see how it is going to survive as a viable product, but I give them a round of applause for innovation.

rocky_raher
02-01-2005, 04:34 PM
Actually, what impressed me was the infrared sensor that detects the location of the spot on the desktop you're pressing. That has application beyond keyboards. Picture any control surface with a lot of buttons; for example, the numbered floor buttons in an elevator. Rather than using 50 separate electromechanical buttons, which can wear out or break with use, you would have a surface with the buttons painted on. The infrared sensor gizmo would detect which floor button the user was "pressing." There would be considerable savings in manufacturing and maintenance cost.

rocky_raher
02-01-2005, 04:40 PM
I'm tempted to get this for the geek value alone. I'd love to sit in the Barnes &amp; Noble coffee area typing away with this thing, even if I didn't have anything worthwhile to type! I just like to let the rest of the world (especially the technophobes!) know that the future is here.

Of course, (estimated geek value) &lt; $226. But, with any new technology, the price should drop with time. VCR's, CD-ROM's, and flat panel monitors were all extrobitant when first introduced.

rocky_raher
02-01-2005, 04:43 PM
Next, I hope they develop a virtual mouse and a virtual stylus!!

Or, how about adapting that holographic LED to produce a virtual Carrie Fisher saying, "Please help me, Obi-wan, ..."

k_kirk
02-01-2005, 05:15 PM
... typing away with this thing, even if I didn't have anything worthwhile to type!

Just being cheeky here... Are you sure you are not at a Barnes Noble already typing away with this thing, even though you didn't have anything worthwhile to type? Come on... 3 posts in a row? ;-)

rocky_raher
02-01-2005, 05:38 PM
Come on... 3 posts in a row? ;-)

Too much caffeine this morning. Almost as soon as I clicked on "Submit," I thought of something else to say. Anyway, the three thoughts are sufficiently different that I don't feel guilty about submitting them as three separate items.

mcsouth
02-02-2005, 03:05 AM
mcsouth

Actually it is quite surprising to see how stable it is. The position of the sensors inside and their weight give the device great stability. I would not be concerned about it tipping over in a plane...actually if that ever happened, I'd be more concerned if we were going to make it.

It is a different feel but you become used to it very quickly. And no, there is no pain in my fingers…you would be surprised how well it works. There is a “click” sound that you can enable that gives a similar feeling you get when type on a regular keyboard. It’s pretty cool actually.

Jack

I take it the unit is kind of bottom-weighted, then...sort of like the whole "Weebles wobble but they don't fall down" kinda' thing? It just looked in the review as being tall and slender, so it made me wonder.

Like I said, never say never.....it sure would be interesting if this type of technology was built right into the pda. If that was the case, I would be tempted to take one of those stands that Dave got in the review, cut it up, and super-glue the legs to the back of the pda - instant prop stand!

Sven Johannsen
02-03-2005, 06:04 AM
Given the tall, slender shape, how well will this device 'stand up' on less than perfect surfaces. I can imagine trying to use this on an airplane, with the movement of the tray table causing this to constantly tip over while in mid sentence......

No need to worry about this. You won't be using a BT anything in a plane any time soon. Not legally anyway.