View Full Version : Want to Join the Pocket PC Thoughts Review Team?

Jason Dunn
02-01-2005, 06:00 PM
Do you have a talent for writing and a desire to share you opinions with others? If so, you might be just the type of person we're seeking for the Pocket PC Thoughts review team. We're looking for individuals who enjoy trying out new software and hardware for their Pocket PCs, and who are willing to share what they find with our community. Above all, reviewers enjoy writing on a subject they're passionate about – the biggest difference between a Pocket PC Thoughts reviewer and a reviewer from a mainstream publication is a personal commitment and interest in the subject matter.<br /><br />Being on the review team is a volunteer position, but hey, fame and glory last forever right? ;-) Reviewers will have the opportunity to try out the latest Pocket PC software and hardware (some of which they'll get to keep), and be given an opportunity to share their findings with the greater community. Pocket PC Thoughts is a professional publication with established copy editing and layout procedures, so if you're looking to gain experience as a writer, writing for us is good training.<br /><!><br />In order to qualify for a position on the review team, we're asking those who are interested to write a sample review of a Pocket PC software title or accessory that they own. The review should be between 500 and 1000 words in length, should be of a current product that's available on the market today, and be based on the Thoughts Media Inc. review template (<a href="http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/images/reviewtemplate.doc">DOC</a>|<a href="http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/images/reviewtemplate.pdf">PDF</a>). Reviews will be judged on the quality of writing (spelling, grammar, and terseness), the analytical skills of the reviewer, and the adherence to our template. While we have a talented copy editor to help polish up the reviews, you should submit a review that has been checked over several times for accurate spelling, grammar, and working hyperlinks. Sample reviews should be submitted as a single Word document with embedded images. Be sure to keep the original images in the event that your review is selected for publication (once graphics are embedded into a Word document, they lose quality when extracted).<br /><br />The only expectation for being on the review team is that you write one review a month. It's a volunteer position, but it's still important that everyone on the review team is productive and active. Obviously there are exceptions (illness, vacation, etc.) but if you want to have your work read by 35,000+ people a day, we need you to commit to writing one review a month.<br /><br />We will be accepting sample reviews up until February 21st, and by March 14th the new members of the Pocket PC Thoughts review team will be announced on the site. Please submit your sample reviews to me via email ([email protected]). If you have any questions that might be relevant to other reviewers, please ask them in this discussion thread. Otherwise, please send me an email, not a private message. Thank you!

PDANEWBIE
02-01-2005, 07:07 PM
Cool looks like it would be fun

Steven Cedrone
02-01-2005, 07:21 PM

Punctuation! :wink:

Jon Westfall
02-01-2005, 08:58 PM

Punctuation! :wink:

Punctuation is important when writing professionally? Who would have thought...

The reviews around here are always great to read, and the layout is a nice feature you rarely find elsewhere.

Alpha2004
02-01-2005, 10:13 PM
The reviewers for this site do not get a choice of what they want to review, correct?

OSUKid7
02-01-2005, 10:52 PM
I remember you posting about this awhile ago...maybe even a year ago? I'd love to be on the Thoughts team, but I really don't have the time to do this now. :| Best of luck to those who apply. :)

Wiggster
02-01-2005, 11:10 PM
All potential applicants, don't forget, you get bonus points if you use this image:

http://www.wiggster.com/images/BluetoothCasket.jpg

Jason Dunn
02-01-2005, 11:12 PM
The reviewers for this site do not get a choice of what they want to review, correct?

Sure they do (as long as it's Pocket PC-related of course)! It would be a sucky job if they had to review things they didn't want to review. :-) The way it works is that you can pick the items you want to review, and quite often when we're contacted by vendors about their new hardware/software, we'd pass that along to the review team and say "Hey, anyone want to review this?". Sometimes there will be a really hot product that I'll NEED reviewed, but people still get the option to volunteer for that review or not. :-)

Jason Dunn
02-01-2005, 11:12 PM
I remember you posting about this awhile ago...maybe even a year ago? I'd love to be on the Thoughts team, but I really don't have the time to do this now. :| Best of luck to those who apply. :)

Well you sure do have lots of time to post here? :wink: :lol:

marcm
02-01-2005, 11:59 PM
I'd do it, but i don't think I can cram reviewing games for Mobile Tech Review, High School, AND reviewing for Pocket PC Thoughts. :? It's a great opportunity though! Also, reviewing is great practice for writing essays in English in school! <font size=0>And a great reason to always be on your Pocket PC</font> :wink: Best of luck to those who apply! :D

Jason Dunn
02-02-2005, 12:09 AM
I'd do it, but i don't think I can cram reviewing games for Mobile Tech Review...

Yeah, we don't "share" reviewers with competing sites - it's just too complicated. But if you ever want to quit that site, hey, let me know. :lol:

normanjwilson
02-02-2005, 12:23 AM
As a Subscriber (officially for about 5 minutes, but I've been a reader for several months since Acquiring my x50v) with an avid interest in writing and in the Pocket PC revolution (I've converted recently) I'd like to know if the offer to become a part of the review team is valid for people living north of the 49th? I would like to make sure that such an arrangement would be viable before I submit a review. I have a product in mind, for your information, that I've not seen reviews of in the common forums. It's the AirCable Bluetooth Serial adapter (bought one for my business needs) and I think something that people could find useful once they know about it.

*--- Butter Applied Here ---*
And... thanks for an awesome site with excellent content. PPC Thoughts has become my Primary source of information daily as to what's new in the market as I learn and experiment with my new Personal Assistant/Entertainment system. Keep up the great work!
*--- Subject is well buttered ---*

Tongue firmly in cheek, and fingers on the home row awaiting your response.

Regards

Norman J. Wilson
Beautiful BC Canada
(sorry my handle is not more imaginitive, but it's a statement in itself)
Dell Axim x50v with many cool extras!

Jason Dunn
02-02-2005, 12:36 AM
I'd like to know if the offer to become a part of the review team is valid for people living north of the 49th?

Why certainly! I live just to the east of you in Calgary. :-) We have review team members all over the world: Canada, USA, Europe, Australia...

allenalb
02-02-2005, 01:07 AM
I would be interested in joining the team. I have an interesting idea that I was going to try on my own (never launched) technology review site that I would be willing to share (or just give away, heck, i'm not usin' it!) if you are interested.

My PDA background consists of 2 iPAQs (3975 and 5555), one HPC (old 2 meg clamshell Compaq), a Toshiba e805 and my current Dell x50v. Oh, yeah, a first generation Newton and more Sharp Wizards and Zauruses (Zaurii?) than you can shake a stylus at, as well.

(notice the lack of palms in there... I didn't even use one when I was a U.S.R. rep)

PM me if you want the free idea :)

OSUKid7
02-02-2005, 01:13 AM
Well you sure do have lots of time to post here? :wink: :lol:
shhh! No one needs to know that. ;) :lol: Really though, I'm too busy with my last semester of high school, getting ready for college, trying to start a business, and very involved with NYLF (http://www.nylf.org) with their Message Boards (http://community.nylf.org) and IRC. (http://irc.NYLF.org)

Maybe some day months or years down the road, I'll apply, if there's an opening. ;)

nixonda
02-02-2005, 01:31 AM
Pocket PC Thoughts has been my primary source for the latest information on everything PockerPC. I am a new subscriber, but have been downloading PPT religiously via Avantgo since I purchased my aging Ipaq 3635 in 2001. I have visited many other sites, but none have equaled your content.

I would be glad to give this project a try, but I might be out of date with my current Ipaq. If this is a consideration for this position then I fully understand, and you can withdraw my name.

I primarily use my Ipaq as an electronic replacement for my old paper DayRunner.

Jason Dunn
02-02-2005, 01:37 AM
PM me if you want the free idea :)

Well, if you're interested in joining the review team, submit a sample review and if you make it, you can implement your own idea. :mrgreen:

Jon Westfall
02-02-2005, 02:45 AM
Pocket PC Thoughts has been my primary source for the latest information on everything PockerPC. I am a new subscriber, but have been downloading PPT religiously via Avantgo since I purchased my aging Ipaq 3635 in 2001. I have visited many other sites, but none have equaled your content.

I would be glad to give this project a try, but I might be out of date with my current Ipaq. If this is a consideration for this position then I fully understand, and you can withdraw my name.

I primarily use my Ipaq as an electronic replacement for my old paper DayRunner.

Congrats on your first post here. It always amazes me how many people read the site for years and then finally 'break out' and post.

jsm30625
02-02-2005, 05:03 AM
Does the written review require visual aids/pictures of the product we are reviewing?

Jason Dunn
02-02-2005, 06:44 AM

No, that shouldn't be a problem - most software should still work on that device, although you'll be limited in terms of what hardware you'll be able to review.

Jason Dunn
02-02-2005, 06:45 AM
Does the written review require visual aids/pictures of the product we are reviewing?

Yes - in the example/template I've linked to, there are images, so your review should also have an image or two. I'm more concerned with the writing though. ;-)

KTamas
02-02-2005, 08:16 AM
Well...good luck everyone...I'm already writing reviews and news for another website but is always good to see more and more review from my fav. PPC site :)

Islanti
02-02-2005, 05:55 PM

Yes - in the example/template I've linked to, there are images, so your review should also have an image or two. I'm more concerned with the writing though. ;-)

I don't know Jason, this sounds like a good filter... if you can't figure out how to take a PPC screenshot, then you're not eligible to do reviews. ;)

Jason Dunn
02-02-2005, 06:09 PM
I don't know Jason, this sounds like a good filter... if you can't figure out how to take a PPC screenshot, then you're not eligible to do reviews. ;)

Being able to follow instructions is a key factor in being a good reviewer, so rest assured when I see the sample reviews come in I'll be paying attention to whether or not people read my post and followed my instructions. :-)

Alpha2004
02-02-2005, 10:35 PM
Good luck to all the future reviewers. :)

I already have my hands full, so I'll pass on this one.

bob1919a
02-03-2005, 04:05 AM
I would try out too, but I got http://xhardwarereviews.com on my hand. I'm still an avid PPCT reader though! Good luck to all try-outers! 8)

Ed Hansberry
02-03-2005, 04:34 AM
All potential applicants, don't forget, you get bonus points if you use this image:

http://www.wiggster.com/images/BluetoothCasket.jpg
We have a WINNER!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

PDANEWBIE
02-04-2005, 02:49 PM
I'z were doing a how you call it roughy copy? Me has to think if your editor know how my words should read? Me no get scren drawings but I can scan in my crayon render input by my how you call it sibling. Wold this werk?

Okay, seriously now, after a little while mulling over this project I have become interested. I actually do have a few questions on the format that I have not seen answered in this thread.

1) Name at the top of the article - Do you want real names or Forum posting name?
2) The "Product Catergory" field - Are we to fill this out? Is there a master list of catergories that we are to pick from or should we just make one up?
3) Word limit - Is 1000 words a hard limit or can we go over this?
4) Pictures - I know you said you can and should add pictures. Is there a number you try to keep the pictures under in order to keep contant fast on the web? I.E. I have about 8 - 9 pictures because the software I am reviewing has both a client side and a PPC side setup.
5) Usage of reviews - Will these submitted reviews be used in the event we are not picked? (It may be fun to see my review make it to your pages even if you don't want a lousy sap like myself on your team!)

Thats all I can think about right now. I have a rough draft about 10 screen captures (both XP and PPC) and a few good thoughts about this product that I hope I can share with everyone.

Darius Wey
02-05-2005, 08:21 AM
1) Name at the top of the article - Do you want real names or Forum posting name?

Your forum nickname should be enough. If you are brought on to the team, then we'll start introducing the real you. ;)

2) The "Product Catergory" field - Are we to fill this out? Is there a master list of catergories that we are to pick from or should we just make one up?

There isn't a strict guideline for this. But if it's a finance application, you can call it "Software: Finance" or something along the lines of that. If it's a PDA case, you can call it "Hardware: Protective Case". Just a general category assigned to it is suffice.

3) Word limit - Is 1000 words a hard limit or can we go over this?

It's not super strict, but it'd be nice to keep to that word limit for the sake of those reading it. If, however, the review is interesting and requires a little more analysis than usual, then it's okay to go over the word limit.

4) Pictures - I know you said you can and should add pictures. Is there a number you try to keep the pictures under in order to keep contant fast on the web? I.E. I have about 8 - 9 pictures because the software I am reviewing has both a client side and a PPC side setup.

Pictures are great, and if you are brought on to the team, we'll show you how to keep loading time to a minimum. If you want to add pictures, then by all means, feel free to do so. You should be able to work out when there are too many or too few pictures complementing the text.

5) Usage of reviews - Will these submitted reviews be used in the event we are not picked? (It may be fun to see my review make it to your pages even if you don't want a lousy sap like myself on your team!)

No clue. It's up to the review editors to decide on that one.

But keeping all of what I have said aside, remember what Jason has said: "Being able to follow instructions is a key factor in being a good reviewer, so rest assured when I see the sample reviews come in I'll be paying attention to whether or not people read my post and followed my instructions."

So be sure to follow what is specified carefully. ;)

PDANEWBIE
02-10-2005, 02:24 AM
Would I get extra bonus points if I directed someone from within the company that supplies the product that I reviewed to advertise on the webpage? :)

Honestly though, good luck to everyone who sends in their review. I just wish we didn't have to wait for the middle of March to hear if we made it or not.

BTW - How many reviewers are you actually going to pick from the submissions?

Phillip Dyson
02-12-2005, 09:20 PM
How are reviews assigned?

Is there a pool of items that the review team pick from? Or do the review team members seek out items on their own?

Darius Wey
02-13-2005, 02:35 AM
Is there a pool of items that the review team pick from? Or do the review team members seek out items on their own?

In a nutshell, both. When nice items get sent to us, we put it up to the review team to see who's interested in reviewing it. Of course, reviewers are also more than welcome to review a product of their interest if they want to. Otherwise, that would make a reviewer's job boring, wouldn't it? ;)

veethree
02-21-2005, 06:25 AM
Are you going to be acknowledging receipt of reviews? I did send one through but haven't heard anything back, so I'm not sure if it was received or not. Of course, it could just be that you're totally swamped with applications...

Darius Wey
02-21-2005, 06:28 AM
Are you going to be acknowledging receipt of reviews? I did send one through but haven't heard anything back, so I'm not sure if it was received or not. Of course, it could just be that you're totally swamped with applications...

Jason happens to be out of town at the moment, so I'm not sure what he's got planned in terms of receipt of reviews. I'm sure once he returns, he'll clarify many questions discussed in this thread.

Phillip Dyson
02-21-2005, 07:54 PM
Thats a great question.
I was concerned about the very same thing. Especially when my first attempt failed (on my side, or my ISPs smtp).

The first next one seemed to go through. But ...

A receipt would ease a little of my anxiety. :)

Jason Dunn
03-01-2005, 12:57 AM
Hey gang! Darius has fielded most of the questions already, but no, I haven't responded to the emails that I've received with review submissions. Ultimately it was a stupid idea for me to do this right before leaving for vacation, because I already have enough email to deal with as it is. ;-) I'll try to do a quick "got it!" response to the ones that I do have. One challenge is that many people didn't submit reviews, they submitted URLs to past reviews that they've written, so that slows down things further because I have to go to various Web sites to read the reviews. I'll probably do another front-page reminder about the review team this week before closing down the process.

Phillip Dyson
03-01-2005, 01:00 AM
thanks Jason

Don't killl yourself.
Hopefully I will know if I need to resubmit before the deadline closes.

Welcome back.

Dave Dixon
03-11-2005, 10:39 PM
I didn't get a "got it!". :mecry:

Wait, maybe nobody else got a "got it", either! :?

Jason Dunn
03-11-2005, 11:34 PM
No, hardly anyone got a "Got it!" - I'll do that today, sorry...

PDANEWBIE
07-05-2005, 01:31 PM
Did this ever pan out at all? I got a "got it" a few months ago but I don't think I ever saw anyone getting selected or rejected. Just curious if it was still in the air or if a selection had been made since I never saw anything front paged.

Jason Dunn
07-05-2005, 03:11 PM
Did this ever pan out at all? I got a "got it" a few months ago but I don't think I ever saw anyone getting selected or rejected. Just curious if it was still in the air or if a selection had been made since I never saw anything front paged.

No, it's actually 100% my fault - I haven't contacted people to get the process started. I feel terrible about that. :oops:

PDANEWBIE
07-06-2005, 03:05 PM
Cool, just checking, as I was writing something up for a friend and it made me think of the review. I thought I had missed the train then spent a little while searching the news to see if anyone had been picked. :)