View Full Version : 3 Dead rx3715's in 2 Months!

lorettaboy
01-29-2005, 04:24 PM
Over the course of the last two months I have been very unfourtunate indeed. I have lost 3 different iPaq's to the filestore lock-up issue. Thankfully, my unit has been covered under warranty, actually the first unit was only days old when it died. Before last night, I thought the culprit was the ROM update, but my latest victim only had the factory ROM installed. Now I perceive there may be a more serious issue with the new iPaq's. I certainly do not want to risk getting a new unit, and having it die all over again.
Of course, one of my reasons for buying an HP was the supposed quality of their product. We'll that quality is being brought into question by my experiences. It should be interesting to see what HP does for me in this situation. I am thinking of demanding a new hx2750 for my troubles. It only goes for $49US more than a rx3715, and with all the problems I have been having with that model, you think they would comply. We shall see. All I want is a unit that will last more than a week!

Kati Compton
01-29-2005, 05:48 PM
Sorry to hear about all your trouble - let us know how it goes!

mariesi
02-03-2005, 02:36 AM
I too am on my third iPAQ since Christmas. I wonder if there are some serious issues with the rx3715 that should be made public?

Okay, shame on me. I should have done better research.

But I'm here now, to learn which one I do want -- this third rx3715 is going back tomorrow!

Good luck ...

lorettaboy
02-03-2005, 06:12 PM
I too am on my third iPAQ since Christmas. I wonder if there are some serious issues with the rx3715 that should be made public?

Okay, shame on me. I should have done better research.

But I'm here now, to learn which one I do want -- this third rx3715 is going back tomorrow!

Good luck ...

Yes, I totally agree that HP should make these issues public. But this is not likely to happen soon, because even they don't know what is causing the problems at this point.
What should happen, is the admins from these pocket pc sites should post a warning about the rx3715. I mean, I have posted my problems on several different sites, where others have detailed their own (same) problems, and nobody seems to care too much. This is a serious problem with the unit, that has been experienced by many users, not just a few.
Anyway, I sent my 3rd unit back to HP. In return, they sent me an hx2750 and a digital camera(SD type). So hopefully this unit is solid, and will not bread down.
mariesi, I don't know about you, but I have given up on the rx3715. Just too much trouble to get a new unit every week and have it fail all over again. Best of luck to you though
:wink:

Ripper014
02-03-2005, 08:35 PM
I personally do not feel that Hp has made a decent PocketPC in a few generations... With my last purchase I gave my money to another manufacturer... Continuing to support them would be to validate that their current line of devices was acceptable... they are not.

Before jumping on the leaky Hp ship... you might want to research elsewhere... Dell, Asus, Loox and Toshiba all have devices... though some are not as easily attainable as the Hp... you may find a better unit.

lorettaboy
02-03-2005, 10:14 PM
Hey Ripper014. Yes, the quality of these new iPAQ's is questionable. But, even within the new line itself, big quality differences exist. So far I have owned the rx3115, the rx3715, and the hx2750. I can tell you that while the rx models are a bit on the cheap side, the hx line seems to have a very good build quality. This is quite apparent when you have used both devices.
I originally used a Palm, but jumped that ship with the release of the T5. What a joke that device is!! Still no built-in wifi... see ya!
I was seriously considering buying a Dell PPC, but in the end, their poor battery life was the deal breaker.

Ripper014
02-03-2005, 11:01 PM
Yep I totally agree with your assessments... but I wanted VGA... otherwise there was no reason to really upgrade from my Hp2210 (see I did own a Hp at one point). But comparing all the different models... I found that the Toshiba e830 gave me the best value for my money. It filled all my requirements... and gave me more for my money than the other offerings... If money was not an issue, I would have considered the Loox 720. But after having my unit now for a few months... the 4" screen has become an important issue... something I did not realize prior to purchasing it.

To fully make use of VGA in true 640x480 mode I think you need to have a 4" screen or "bigger"... any smaller and it is not really usable. Just look at all the posts at Aximsite about how small the fonts are and how they can not read them. I truly believe that the Toshiba was a good balance between everything available. Though a faster processor would have been nice... but then no matter what I would have purchased... "a faster processor would be nice".

lol...

Oh and for those that say they use it in QVGA it looks great... but why waste the cpu cycles... on a display. I do not see any reason to use a VGA device in QVGA... resources could be better spent otherwise on a true QVGA device.

KimVette
02-04-2005, 12:16 AM
I personally do not feel that Hp has made a decent PocketPC in a few generations...

HP hasn't made a decent PocketPC since they axed the Compaq-designed units and their original Jornada line.