View Full Version : Problem with engaging Power save mode after firmware update

Gif
01-29-2005, 05:02 AM
Hello All,
I'm just hoping to capitalize on some of your collective expertise here. I recently updated the flashrom on my A730W with the download available on thie company's web site. After doing this I was rather upset to find that the device was now unable to engage the power save mode in the system settings window where you can adjust between the Turbo, standard and lowe power modes. That is to say, the check box is now greyed out and does not allow me to check the option to automatically adjust processor speed.
So my question is this. Have any of you performed the update and if so have you encountered this problem? More importantly, any thoughts on how to fix this? I was pretty shocked to find that ASUS doesn't even offer the original system bios on the install CDs.

asuspocketpcw
02-07-2005, 07:12 PM
I did the rom update on mine too. I notice that the automatic mode is greyed out only if you select the Power Saving Mode above: if you select that, you are already running at the lowest speed so there is nothing else to save! (thats why they grey out the auto box). I use Standard Mode setting and then check the auto save box to let it slow down from there as it sees fit--seems to work good and battery life is decent so far :)

Gif
02-13-2005, 05:50 AM
Yeah,
The problem I have is that it is greyed out no matter what mode it is in. I contacted tech support at ASUS and they stated that the upgrade wasn't supposed to be issued in the first place. So, I have to send it in to them to get the original rom loaded back onto the device.

asuspocketpcw
02-15-2005, 07:14 PM
Oh...thats a bummer. The update really improved my camera function and my power settings still work fine--I wonder why it didn't work for yours?

Gif
02-27-2005, 03:57 PM
I really liked the camera upgrade as well. I decided to keep the rom update and run pocket hack master to scale the processor speed. It's not an optimal solution (there's a problem with the screen whining and pocket hack master appears to incompatable with the use of WiFi) but it does allow me to both over and underclock the processor much better than the original feature in the os.

thimyee
02-28-2005, 01:49 AM
I try to download the firmware but I do not understand what is AP4. Can anybody help

asuspocketpcw
02-28-2005, 06:06 PM
AP4 is the farthest right of the 4 hard buttons (on the front). I think it must stand for Application button #4 or something :)

kevinsky18
03-01-2005, 09:37 PM
I'm glad to hear they are updating the camera firmware. I new the camera had a lot more potential and just needed an update.

thimyee
03-06-2005, 11:28 AM
I have try to install the ROM update. It took me quite a way and still not successful. Please advise what is the approximate duration before the PDA indicate update is successful

asuspocketpcw
03-07-2005, 08:28 PM
Its been awhile since I did the ROM update so I don't remember exactly how long it took but I'm thinking it was on the order of 15 minutes. It did take awhile.

Gif
03-15-2005, 01:56 AM
I found this at the asus support site.

http://www.asus.com.tw/support/faq/qanda.aspx?KB_ID=100092099

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Why can't I access A730W Automatic Power Saving Mode?

In order to increase WiFi performance, "Automatic Power Saving Mode" will be disabled automatically in A730W.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

So the feature appears to be available prior to the ROM upgrade, but updating appears to disable this feature in the interest of WiFi compatability. However, asuspocketpcw reported still being able to use the feature after upgrading. Does anybody have an idea as to why my device would be different? After installing Pocket Hack Master it's really only a minor annoyance, but I still wish everything worked like it should.

asuspocketpcw
03-15-2005, 07:57 PM
The name I ended up with might be misleading--I don't have the W version and maybe thats why the power save option is still available after ROM upgrade for my straight 730 (I used the 100$ I saved on a non-W 730 to buy a 1GB memory card instead!). My impression is that maybe WiFi needs a faster processor speed and so they don't allow the power saving mode to click in and mess up the WiFi connection. Just my guess :?

1BADRIDE
03-15-2005, 09:21 PM
Hi there... my first post here so GREETINGS!

In regards to the ROM update and subsequent unavailability of certain options - what ROM version/ROM date are you running?

My A730W has ROM Version V3.43.02.7 WWE w/ROM DATE 2004/10/22.

The option to use automatic mode in the power savings area is available and in my case it is checked. I selected Turbo mode and checked the automatic mode box. The checkbox is always available regardless of which of the 3 modes I select.

Gif
03-16-2005, 04:00 AM
Way more about this topic here:

http://www.pocketmatrix.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20474

1BADRIDE
03-16-2005, 04:25 AM
Damn... how many forums do I need to join!??
:roll:

jld
03-16-2005, 03:52 PM
Might have a solution here...

Can someone send me a copy of the file "mycpl.cpl" of the ORIGINAL A730 ROM that still has a functional "Enable Automatic Mode" none-greyed check box file?

It is under the \windows\ directory.

From this I will try to forge it to allow the bit to be changed under the new ROM and post back results here.

Thx,

asuspocketpcw
03-16-2005, 06:44 PM
:) I have the same versions you do (and my powersave works as well). I'm glad to see you have Kingston memory cards working on your ASUS. I've been ignoring them because of some earlier negative comments I read.

Hi there... my first post here so GREETINGS!

In regards to the ROM update and subsequent unavailability of certain options - what ROM version/ROM date are you running?

My A730W has ROM Version V3.43.02.7 WWE w/ROM DATE 2004/10/22.

The option to use automatic mode in the power savings area is available and in my case it is checked. I selected Turbo mode and checked the automatic mode box. The checkbox is always available regardless of which of the 3 modes I select.

1BADRIDE
03-16-2005, 08:48 PM
I tried SANDISK and other memory cards, but the Kingston higher end series (Elite Pro) are much faster than the others.

I have not had any issues with ANY type of Kingston memory, ever.

Lukas44
03-23-2005, 08:24 PM
Might have a solution here...

Can someone send me a copy of the file "mycpl.cpl" of the ORIGINAL A730 ROM that still has a functional "Enable Automatic Mode" none-greyed check box file?

It is under the \windows\ directory.

From this I will try to forge it to allow the bit to be changed under the new ROM and post back results here.

Thx,

Cool, both files are posted at pocketmatrix, and users there are swapping files temporarily to enable checkbox, but they are different so just swapping leaves problems.

I also am shure this was done for the WiFi.
I have original file which can enable checkbox, and the WiFi blanks out and jams at times with this box enabled.
So I am thinking about looking into this new file, to see what else it is doing.