View Full Version : easy question i can't find w/ a search (exactly)

zilla31
01-28-2005, 05:01 PM
what's the best program (free if possible) i can use to set some mp3 snippets i have as alarm sounds/system notifications, etc.?

thanks!!!

zilla31
01-28-2005, 05:46 PM
alarmToday has some "other" features i could also use - so i'd consider that - but there still doesn't seem to be a way to add to the default list of alarm sounds in WM, or to use mp3s.... hmmmm.

Darius Wey
01-29-2005, 04:07 AM
what's the best program (free if possible) i can use to set some mp3 snippets i have as alarm sounds/system notifications, etc.?

thanks!!!

Are you after a program designed to run on the PC or Pocket PC?

zilla31
01-29-2005, 04:59 PM
PPC thanks.

Darius Wey
01-30-2005, 01:23 PM
Off the top of my head, I'm not sure if there's any dedicated program designed for snipping sections of MP3s to use as alarm/notification sounds. Is it too much trouble to edit it on your PC and copy it over to your Pocket PC?

zilla31
01-31-2005, 12:37 AM
actually i have no requirement to snip the mp3 - i already HAVE the snippets (i did create those on my PC). what i can't figure out how to do is set an mp3 as an event notification etc. there seem to be tons of programs that will let you set a timed alarm (like a wakeup call for example) to play an mp3, but i can't find any that will just play a certain mp3 when say an agenda fusion reminder goes off, or when you active sync, or other system sounds... make sense?

ps thanks for the help!

PDANEWBIE
01-31-2005, 02:18 AM
My thought would be you would have to figure our what audio is to be played by each program and replace it manually. I have not heard of a program that just blanketly changes the alerts on many different programs.

Darius Wey
01-31-2005, 02:25 PM
actually i have no requirement to snip the mp3 - i already HAVE the snippets (i did create those on my PC). what i can't figure out how to do is set an mp3 as an event notification etc. there seem to be tons of programs that will let you set a timed alarm (like a wakeup call for example) to play an mp3, but i can't find any that will just play a certain mp3 when say an agenda fusion reminder goes off, or when you active sync, or other system sounds... make sense?

I understand what you're looking for now.

I've not really investigated the use of MP3s as audio files being used in alarms/notifications, etc. but you can do an MP3 > WAV conversion using an application on the PC (there are many that do it - some freeware, some not). Once you've done the conversion, just copy and paste it into the \Windows directory of your Pocket PC, and you should be able to select it from the drop-down menu in the alarms/notifications settings page.

zilla31
01-31-2005, 02:43 PM
oh cool - i can just do that as a stop gap then... thanks!! (even though wav's are generally way bigger files than mp3s :(