View Full Version : New ROM Updates for the Dell Axim X50 and X50v

Darius Wey
01-28-2005, 05:00 PM
Dell have just released new A02 ROM updates for the <a href="http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/type.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&SystemID=PDA_AXIM_X50&category=0&os=PPCA&osl=en&deviceid=6739&devlib=7">Axim X50</a> and <a href="http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/type.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&SystemID=PDA_AXIM_X50&category=0&os=PPCA&osl=en&deviceid=7464&devlib=7">Axim X50v</a> units. Some of the updates include improved card reading performance, improved wireless features, and improved GAPI and touchscreen performance, among others. The updates are around 22MB to 24MB in size. As always, when updating the ROM, be sure to follow the instructions carefully.

Boxster S
01-28-2005, 05:09 PM
So does this wipe out your existing data?

wocket
01-28-2005, 05:23 PM

Yes indeed it does wipe all. Performs hard reset.

david291
01-28-2005, 05:31 PM
Yes. That's why you'll want to:

1. Backup your data
2. Perform ROM update
3. Restore your data

Boxster S
01-28-2005, 05:34 PM
Bah, I don't have another hour and a half to reinstall my countless number of programs to Flash ROM and CF.

Not enough incentive for me to upgrade unless I'm bored some day in the next few weeks or so.

MPSmith
01-28-2005, 05:38 PM
Bah, I don't have another hour and a half to reinstall my countless number of programs to Flash ROM and CF.

Not enough incentive for me to upgrade unless I'm bored some day in the next few weeks or so.

See post above yours... :wink:

Boxster S
01-28-2005, 05:52 PM

See post above yours... :wink:

The thread over at Aximsite showed that people are having some issues with using that method. It's always SMART to reinstall all programs after an update like this.

jngold_me
01-28-2005, 06:09 PM
Yes. That's why you'll want to:

1. Backup your data
2. Perform ROM update
3. Restore your data

You may not be able to "restore your data" if you are using a backup util. The backup signature might not match the ROM data when you upgrade. The last iPaq 4150 update had this scenario. Data could be restored, but you had to install all apps over again.

Just something to consider.

Jason Dunn
01-28-2005, 06:09 PM
1. Backup your data
2. Perform ROM update
3. Restore your data

Doing a restore after a ROM upgrade is a usually a very bad idea - the ROM upgrade might toss DLLs and such into RAM, and doing a restore overwrites things like this. A complete rebuild is the only viable way to have a stable Pocket PC (unfortunately). :-(

whydidnt
01-28-2005, 06:12 PM
It's not so bad, having to reinstall all your programs - IF you have a central location that you've stored all your serial numbers. I use SplashID for this and their all there in the desktop version. You can reinstall en-masse from within Active Sync. Just go to tools -> Add/Remove Programs and select those that you want to reinstall. Using this method you have to reinstall all selected programs to the same spot, but I usually just reinstall first to RAM, then to Memory card.

After reinstalling all the programs, sync with the desktop and all your PIM data will reappear.

Vincent M Ferrari
01-28-2005, 06:27 PM
Okay, so now that everyone has gotten their "I'm not doing it" out of the way, did anyone actually do it and did it fix any issues for you? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

joefuture
01-28-2005, 06:43 PM
Stupid question... how do you perform a hard reset on the x50v?

Update: found it here:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1091161&amp;c=us&amp;l=en&amp;s=dhs&amp;cs=19

acollet
01-28-2005, 08:18 PM
UPdated, applied and seems all okay here! Nothing to noticible as far as changes yet but seems snappier!

Jonathon Watkins
01-28-2005, 09:40 PM
Nothing to noticible as far as changes yet but seems snappier!

Snappier is a change I can live with. ;-) I don't have time to do the update at the moment. I need my PPC and don't have the time to set it up again. I very much welcome the fixes, especially the speed and display improvements. I look forward to getting time to try it out.

muaddip
01-28-2005, 09:46 PM
I did the update.

The wireless button now pops up with a message telling you to press it again in 5 seconds to active. Nice if you accidentally press the button in your pocket or pulling out of the sleeve.

The screen is definitely more responsive, especially the built-in keyboard which use to have a lag when you tap it. Now it is very fast and response to a pretty light touch.

Overall it is a definite upgrade for anyone unhappy with the screen responsiveness, the rest of the fixes and additions are nominal..

They still have not corrected the BT memory problem as far as I can tell.

bitbank
01-28-2005, 10:36 PM
I noticed that the A02 ROM improved the GAPI performance for lagacy applications. It's still not as fast as Picard/Emulamer's tweaked one, but a definite improvement.

L.B.

egads
01-28-2005, 10:49 PM
I flashed the ROM update and for the most part it went well. I like the feel of the screen now, before the update I thought I was going to break the screen trying to type sometimes.

My only problem is when I hit the WiFi enable button I get a "Hit the wireless button again within 5sec's to enable". I hit the button again within 5 sec's and NOTHING???

I've re-maped the wireless botton to bring up the WLAN utility so I can enable it there.

Anyone else seeing this?

ctmagnus
01-28-2005, 10:49 PM
1. Backup your data
2. Perform ROM update
3. Restore your data

Doing a restore after a ROM upgrade is a usually a very bad idea - the ROM upgrade might toss DLLs and such into RAM, and doing a restore overwrites things like this. A complete rebuild is the only viable way to have a stable Pocket PC (unfortunately). :-(

One of the more recent versions of Sprite backup has a device update mode where you do a backup that you are able to successfully restore to a device with a different rom version.

JoshB
01-28-2005, 11:19 PM
I've downloaded and tried out the update, and everything went fine.

You can read my impressions at:

http://www.tinyscreenfuls.com/2005/01/dell-axim-x50-rom-update-available.html

I'll update that post with any issues or problems I run into, but so far, so good! :-)

Josh Bancroft
www.tinyscreenfuls.com

gtmtnbiker98
01-29-2005, 12:49 AM
The upgrade process went off without a hitch and the screen sensitivity and overall speed of the Axim is double what it used to be. The ROM upgrade is well worth the time and effort.

One happy camper here.

nategesner
01-29-2005, 01:11 AM
I can confirm the install went without a hitch. Wireless button takes two presses to activate or de-activate, which keeps me from accidentally hitting it (which I do a lot). Screen is much more responsive to taps and seems to re-draw a little faster. I'm very happy!

Only problem is, my Acrobat Reader causes a soft reset each time I close it. I have the exact same software loaded as I did before the install, so I don't know why it started doing this all of a sudden. I've read that it is a conflict caused by WisBar Advanced 2, so I'll check that page and look for a fix.

This update is worth it!

takotchi
01-29-2005, 05:34 AM
Doesn't work for me at all.

Downloaded the gigantic 24.7MB file. Had to use a file-resuming application because I'm stuck with dial-up and IE/Firefox can't resume and tend to not download files "all the way". Downloaded the whole file, but it has an error unzipping. Of course, the program refuses to update the ROM because of a bad checksum. Everything appears to be there though.

Downloaded it again... still doesn't unzip correctly or install. Downloading 24MB files on dial-up is not an easy task and there should be no problem with the file being corrupt since I download other large files without problems, as long as I use a download utility.

I'll try it again, but I'm not getting my hopes up. :roll:

JoshB
01-29-2005, 05:48 AM
Could be the "download utility" causing the corruption. Do you have any other way to get the file? A friend with broadband and a CD burner? A public computer and a USB flash drive?

bvkeen
01-29-2005, 04:28 PM
Got my x50v Tuesday and did the ROM update last night, without a hitch. This is the fastest I ever did an upgrade like this!

ethancaine
01-30-2005, 12:04 AM
I installed the A02 ROM update, and have had no problems yet. The update text seems pretty accurate, also. Haven't been able to test the GAPI performance seeing as I have yet to get my game discs.

takotchi
01-30-2005, 02:02 AM
I got it working, finally. Unzipped correctly and installed fine.

Biggest thing I notice is the touch screen sensitivity seems better. Overall, it's an okay update.

kelevil
01-30-2005, 05:37 AM
i thought the update would be flawless until...

i ran ozvga
you basically cannot do anything except open up settings...can't run programs or file explorer even
i guess ozvga doesnt work with A02 update

any suggestions for another app that'll give me a great resolution while still using the A02 update?

isilver
02-01-2005, 04:43 AM
I did the update and everything is running flawlessly. No problems to report. All my programs are running smoothly. It does seem a little more touch sensitive and my cf/sd cards do see to transfer a little faster but not enough to care.

If you want to "kelevil" then just use SE_VGA. It's a free application to get a better resolution on your Dell Axim x50v. it worked for me.

QYV
02-01-2005, 08:09 AM
you basically cannot do anything except open up settings...can't run programs or file explorer even
i guess ozvga doesnt work with A02 update

This statement alarmed me so I e-mailed the author of OzVGA. He thought that it should still work, so after updating my ROM to A02, I reinstalled OzVGA. It appears to work fine on my device - I was able to run in "OzVGA" (true VGA) mode, resize the scroll bars using the Settings screen, and open Messaging, PIE, Excel, etc. without any difficulty.

When you reinstalled OzVGA, did you both copy the necessary files back to the \Windows directory as well as adding the .exe itself? Not sure what else could be the issue...

Len M.
02-03-2005, 02:21 AM
It wouldn't install using a PC running Win 98SE and ActiveSync 3.7.1. I could download it, unzip it, run it, save the current ROM to a file, but when I tried to update to the new ROM, USB disconnected and then couldn't reconnect. It hung there until I soft reset the X50v.

I tried it on an PC running XP and it installed without a hitch.

dutone1
02-04-2005, 06:46 PM
I had the same experience as above, with the USB disconnecting and then hanging, but I have XP. Any thoughts? I've emailed Dell and am waiting for a response, but this forum indicates a smooth upgrade for the most part. Thanks.

Len M.
02-04-2005, 07:08 PM
I had the same experience as above, with the USB disconnecting and then hanging, but I have XP. Any thoughts? I've emailed Dell and am waiting for a response, but this forum indicates a smooth upgrade for the most part. Thanks.

You might try using ActiveSync 3.7.0 instead of 3.7.1. My Win 98SE PC has 3.7.1 while my XP has 3.7.0.

dutone1
02-04-2005, 07:21 PM
Thanks, Len. I'll give it a try. Unfortunately, I'll have to wait for IT to come over and use their admin rights to try it. Regards.

dutone1
02-09-2005, 09:00 PM
Just an update on above. Dell tech support was helpful in identifying problem as being my firewall. Once I set up on my desktop at home, I was able to upgrade to A02 with no problem with ActiveSync 3.7.1.

Everything worked when I re-partnered with my work laptop. Screen response seems better on PDA. Syncs with Avantgo, as it did before.

So far, so good.