View Full Version : Its not all the 6315 device fault!!!!

q-live
01-28-2005, 01:31 AM
I was (AND STILL AM) sick of some of the major problems with the 6315 namely the camara, 2way messaging and this new problem about my mem always being low when i open up to many applications. Well now i am finding out that it isnt just my unit its got something to do with the tmobiles 2003 windows pc edition. I have a friend with the first pda tmobile had (we both had it) and he said he had to send off for a new one because he droped his (that one had the old 2002 ver) but when they sent this new phone they sent it with the new 2003 and he said hes having the same problems that i am having which is when he sends 2ways sometimes the person dont get the message he just gets a message saying " no text sent " and also if he hits reply to a message it never gets to the person, u basically have to pic the persons number again and send it all over again. Also he is having the same problem with the memory with the same softwre he had on the old 2002 version. This is why i have to leave tmobile soon because these problems been going on for months and they wont even ignology the problem so i no they arent fixing it. Is anyone else having these problems ?????????

ADBrown
01-28-2005, 08:12 AM
You know that T-Mobile has nothing to do with the manufacturing or software development for the 6315, right?

q-live
02-01-2005, 12:36 AM
no i didn't ..... i thought tmobile & hp had something 2 do wit it since its tmobile i have 2 call when it causes trouble.

Wiggster
02-01-2005, 03:22 AM
You're calling T-Mobile about a HP device whose problems stem from the Microsoft operating system inside the device. T-Mobile is giving you tech support because they sold you the device, not because they made it, and not because they developed the software it's running on. It sounds like your problem is in the Windows Mobile OS itself. If you're not liking it, you might switch to a different phone. Go to your T-Mobile store and see if they have any you like any better, that don't run Windows Mobile.

Myself, I'm looking to get a Smartphone, since I don't think I'll mind the troubles you describe.

TechSoEasy
02-16-2005, 06:00 AM
Actually ADBrown... T-Mobile has A LOT to do with the operating system. The imbedded Windows Mobile operating system is configured with a number of T-Mobile features, applications, and protocols which are unique to the 6315.

Of course, HP is responsible for any hardware configuration which causes problems. The bluetooth issues are almost entirely HP's fault... they still haven't come up with a driver that will make bluetooth headsets work consistently. They most certainly are responsible for outfitting the 6315 with the slowest processor in it's class (see: http://www.bargainpda.com/default.asp?newsID=2208&review=HP+iPaq+6315).

T-Mobile is the company which signed an exclusive deal with HP to provide service, so I find them at the very least fiduciarily responsible for delivering what was promised! Additionally, you can't walk away from your T-Mobile contract (usually)... so again THEY are responsible for the delivery of service. I wouldn't be surprised to see a class-action suit come out over this...

Just do a Google search "6315 review" and see if you can find ONE glowing review of the 6315. (I've had mine for three months and am ready to pawn it off on E-Bay... I definitely loved the all-in-one concept, but I wanted ALL in one, not parts-of-all-in-one-sometimes). Although I may tough it out a bit longer... there's not really anything else out there yet.

And Wiggster... NO, it's not the OS... Windows Mobile runs just phenomenally on other PDA's. I'd say to do the same thing I mentioned above... a Google search on "Windows Mobile 2003 review" and see if you can find a glaringly BAD one.

MitchellO
02-19-2005, 12:46 PM
I concur. Windows Mobile is not to blame. I have had it on 4 PDAs, and it has been great. Beats palm os.

I just got an XDA Mini and it rocks. It is fantastic. The phone works great, good reception, fast processor (PXA272 416Mhz compared to OMAP 168Mhz i think), decent 1.3mp camera (with good video), great screen (the best quality i have seen on a handheld. Comparable with the VGA screens) and super tiny. It is only slightly larger than my T610.

I think HP screwed up their device with that stupid processor. And it is to big. Good luck with it though. I hope you can get it working for you.

sobert
02-28-2005, 02:03 AM
Some random thoughts on the 6315.

Hp did not write the bluetooth - Broadcom did
Hp did not write the gsm software - Wavecomm did
Hp did not write the operating system - Microsoft did
Hp did not build the phone network - Tmobile did

Hp did put it all together with the hardware, then Tmobile added their customized software which some believe causes some of the issues.

Pretty much all of the current crop of pocketpc phones had the same bluetooth issues.

The battery life on this unit is amazing. That was obviously a large consideration on the design.

The latest ROM for the 6340 and 6365 fixes almost all issues.

It is interesting that the units that are used off of the Tmobile network appear to have less phone issues.

MitchellO
02-28-2005, 02:23 AM
That may be true, but it was still HPs decision to use all of that, and to use the slower processor. Granted, that gives it better battery life, but my XDA Mini with an Intel PXA 272 416Mhz processor gets great battery life with heaps of use (MP3, video, phone, GPRS, WiFi) out of a single charge). Not enough less to go to a much slower processor. IMHO.

MitchellO
03-09-2005, 10:11 AM
Out of interest, could you flash a TMobile h63xx with a more standard ROM, say HPs original version without the TMobile stuff? That might help with some problems if it is the TMobile stuff causing things to go wrong.

gpstoloff
03-09-2005, 06:56 PM
That may be true, but it was still HPs decision to use all of that, and to use the slower processor. Granted, that gives it better battery life, but my XDA Mini with an Intel PXA 272 416Mhz processor gets great battery life with heaps of use (MP3, video, phone, GPRS, WiFi) out of a single charge). Not enough less to go to a much slower processor. IMHO.

Actually, it was TI's design and both HP's and HTC's choice, as the h63xx series was implemented with the TI WANDA reference design -- which was the only line available 2 years ago with GSM/GPRS, WiFi, and Bluetooth all on the same integrated chip set. While the h63xx product development was underway, TI has since upgraded all of the OMAP chipset including the CPU -- so it would be interesting to see if anyone (including HP in the Mobile Messenger series) continues to use the integrated WANDA updated set.

Guess that's the problem with time lags in bringing new products to market!

MitchellO
03-09-2005, 09:46 PM
Guess that's the problem with time lags in bringing new products to market!

Thats absolutely right. I forgot HP had this thing made for ages before releasing it into a market that had moved on from what they had made.

TechSoEasy
03-07-2006, 09:30 AM
Out of interest, could you flash a TMobile h63xx with a more standard ROM, say HPs original version without the TMobile stuff? That might help with some problems if it is the TMobile stuff causing things to go wrong.

I just happened upon this thread again and thought it would be helpful to some if I posted an update... since I am still stuck with my h6315 (hours on the phone with T-Mobile produced NOTHING). I decided a few months ago to ditch the T-Mobile ROM and use the h6365 instead (http://www.lvlolvlo.net/PDA/Set%20V%20Instructions.htm).

I can only say that since doing that, I've had NO problems with the Bluetooth, it rarely locks up, and has otherwise been problem free.

However, I still think it's a lousy design and a crappy processor since I can't really add any applications because doing so DOES cause it to lock up due to lack of resources.

So... I hope to replace it soon... just not sure what I'll go with at this point.

Jeff
TechSoEasy