View Full Version : Using Side Kick with Cingular

q-live
01-28-2005, 01:19 AM
Can tmobiles side kick be unlocked to be used with cingular network and where can i get that info?

Cybrid
01-28-2005, 02:22 AM
Can tmobiles side kick be unlocked to be used with cingular network and where can i get that info?
Do they use SIM cards?

galt
01-28-2005, 02:33 AM
I'm sure you can use the Sidekick as a phone on other GSM networks, but you will not have access to the data services as those are provided through Danger, the designers of the Sidekick. Their backend servers power the data service for that device and are only provided for their carrier partners. In the USA only T-mobile and a small carrier named Suncom can offer data service for this device.

q-live
02-01-2005, 12:43 AM
yes cingular uses sims. & if voice service can be cracked why can't data since they both are gsm?

galt
02-01-2005, 03:08 AM
yes cingular uses sims. & if voice service can be cracked why can't data since they both are gsm?

Typically when you unlock a phone to use on another carrier's network, all you are doing is unlocking a bit of code on the phone that makes it so that you can only be authenticated on that carrier’s network. In the case of the Sidekick, it's not just about getting your device freed to allow it to be used on another carrier's regular network.

You need to understand that every data service on the Sidekick (AIM, web, e-mail, actually everything, I'll explain why in a sec) is provided by a company other than T-mobile. T-mobile’s partner, Danger (who designed the Sidekick), provides and manages the data services for the Sidekick. The Sidekick is basically a thin client device - it's a pretty cheap and low powered device that relies on the services Danger provides, which are distributed to the device through T-mobiles network. When you type in the URL of a web page on the Sidekick, Danger's server fetches the page, formats it in a way that makes it smaller (data wise) and easier to view on the small screen of the Sidekick and then sends it to your device. The Danger servers not only provide most of the heavy-lifting (computing wise) for the device, Danger also stores all data (web bookmarks, e-mails, notes, contacts, AIM buddy list) for the device so if it fails or is lost you don’t lose any data. Without this service, which Danger provides only to the customers of the carriers who are licensed to offer the device, the Sidekick is just a very heavy phone.

Is it possible to “crack” T-mobiles servers so that they mistakenly allow you access to Danger’s servers and allow your Sidekick data to operate even if you don’t have a T-mobile contract? Um… I can’t say it’s impossible: http://www.securityfocus.com/news/10271 8O