View Full Version : Startup to Create Real Wi-Fi Sharing Device

Damion Chaplin
02-14-2007, 01:30 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,72693-0.html?tw=rss.index' target='_blank'>http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,72693-0.html?tw=rss.index</a><br /><br /></div><p><em>&quot;Three digital music veterans have launched a stealth startup and are close to unveiling both a new portable media player and what they're calling an &quot;internet radio ecosystem,&quot; Wired News has learned... Capitalizing on their involvement in earlier generations of digital music devices and services and using what they learned the first time around, they're building a portable player they hope will be the first major step forward in the category since Apple released the iPod... The device will feature wireless connectivity, a new type of integration with online radio stations, a social aspect and most likely some sort of automatic customization feature for recommending new music, according to a source familiar with the product. It's unclear whether these features have all been finalized, however, and some details could change between now and the product launch.&nbsp; In interviews with Wired News, the company said it was &quot;too early&quot; to discuss which types of connectivity its device will offer, but disclosed that &quot;traditional USB connections will (only) play a minor role in getting content to your device.&quot; A spokesman added that the device has yet to be officially named.&quot;</em><br /></p><p>That sure didn't take long.&nbsp; I figured eventually someone would think &quot;Say, DAP Wi-Fi sharing is a good idea.&nbsp; Too bad Microsoft dropped the ball on it.&nbsp; I know, let's just do it ourselves!&quot;, I just didn't think it would be this fast.&nbsp; Frankly we still haven't a clue whether Wi-Fi sharing is something people actually want or will use.&nbsp; Sure, we can all say &quot;But does your DAP share via Wi-Fi?&quot;, but how many of use will ever actually do so?&nbsp; Probably not me, but then again my 'social' is real small.&nbsp; ;-)</p>