View Full Version : MPx220 or RazrV3?

jake080
01-27-2005, 02:44 AM
im looking into switching to cingular, and like these two phones, im wondering about some peoples personal prefs!
cost is of no concern.
also, if there are any cingular users in central tx, that could give me an idea of reception expectation in the austin/roundrock/taylor area, that would be great!

tia!

Kowalski
01-27-2005, 11:44 AM
they are not comparable at all.
one is stylish, good looking, durable and light weight
other has a very good OS and programs.

so if you use your phone just for making calls, than v3 is realy a good choice. if you dont mind physical characteristic, and want to use your mobile phone for PIM programs, than you should buy motorola

Menneisyys
01-27-2005, 11:52 AM
im looking into switching to cingular, and like these two phones, im wondering about some peoples personal prefs!
cost is of no concern.
also, if there are any cingular users in central tx, that could give me an idea of reception expectation in the austin/roundrock/taylor area, that would be great!

tia!

The Mpx220 is a good, second-generation (the first-generation Mpx200 was a real disaster) smartphone with MS Smartphone 2003SE operating system. This means you can install a lot of third-party software on it (there're much less software for the MS Smartphone OS, however, than for Pocket PC). So, if you need a MS Smartphone phone, go for the mpx220. If you "only" need a decent phone, you may want to get the other.

You may also want to check out http://www.mpx200.org/forums/index.php?showforum=72 and http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=51

shawnc
01-27-2005, 12:21 PM
I agree with kowalski. It's apples and oranges. Take a look at how you plan on using the device, then the decision should be easy.

jake080
01-27-2005, 04:28 PM
for me, mostly talking and morning alarms ;)
but of course any extras i will take advantage of, and well the mpx220 is like 110 usd cheaper through amazon (150 after rebate opposed to like 260 after rebate). i love the look of the v3, and the construction, like the keypad thing, and the aluminum casing, and the use of usb rocks too... but yeah... any linkies to reviews on both... from the SAME person?
just to get a good biased opinion ;) cuz im seriously split, but now leaning a little more towarsd the mpx220 with the extra features... need info on actual battery life though, amoung other things
thanks again!

Menneisyys
01-27-2005, 04:39 PM
but yeah... any linkies to reviews on both... from the SAME person?
just to get a good biased opinion ;) cuz im seriously split, but now leaning a little more towarsd the mpx220 with the extra features... need info on actual battery life though, amoung other things
thanks again!

The ppl at mpx200.org say that it has much better battery life than the Mpx200. You should check out both mpx200.org and Smartphone Thoughts; a lot of people are posting cool info.

BTW, if the Mpx220 is indeed cheaper than the RazrV3, I'd certainly go for the Motorola.

jake080
01-27-2005, 04:42 PM
ok, one more ? (im too lazy to get a smartphonethoughts account)...
there is an internal and an external mini-sd, correct, assuming this, i could add on 2 512 chips, making 1024+the built in, right?!?

maximus
01-28-2005, 01:28 AM
BTW, if the Mpx220 is indeed cheaper than the RazrV3, I'd certainly go for the Motorola.

Both phones are from motorola.

Back on topic. As a current user of both mpx220 and V3, let me share this observation :

Motorola V3 : Nicely shaped, very thin, big keypad, all metal body, high quality speakers, etc. I purchased this for my wife, and she mentioned that the thinly shape fits very well into her small handbags. This is a phone for stylish users.

Motorola mpx220 : Now, this is a serious phone. A full fledged quad band smartphone with mini SD slot. Since I use mpx220 several weeks ago, I have been leaving my older PPC at home several times already. Everything that I need from a pocket PC, the mpx220 can do. The only time I really need my PPC is during picture taking trips, where I need the 3.5" screen to view the images from the digital camera.

It really depends on how you plan to use it. For us, we need two phones at all time. V600 and mpx220 for me, V3 and XDA mini for the wife. Works for us :)

shawnc
01-28-2005, 03:16 AM
I would kill for the opportunity to have eiher one of these devices. At the end of the day, I simply love the form-factor of my 4150 too much to switch right now. If I had to make this difficult choice, I'd go with the razr. Man, that is one s-w-e-e-t device.

xxpinballxx
01-28-2005, 09:15 PM
I am acutally a lucky owner of both but the MPx220 was real problem since I purchased it before all the firmwares were worked out. I had it switched out 3 times before now.

THe v3 is very nice but awkward when trying to hold it while doing other things. It has the same similar features built in that most phones have now days.

I find the MOX220 not as much of a smartphone as I would like. Not that there aren't plenty of programs and functionality but it seems to be a little tricky getting everything you want and need to work right all at the same time.

It might be just a problem with my phone but it has happened with all three of them I had. It seems that the screens freeze when using the different programs excessively. Maybe my fingers are just too fast.

I bought the V3 because I wanted a more phone only unit and opted to get a seperate PDA.

The MPX has a nice battery life for me though. I charge it about 6 night a week on average sometimes less. I used it most of the day for phone and PDA use. The only real battery drain I found was using the betaplayer and watching converted movies or smartphonetv.

The Mini SD slot is nice with a 512 card. Hold alot of programs. I actually have two one for MP3's so when I have a long ride I can listen to them.

Its really a decision of whether you need all the functions of a PDA or not.
Hope this helped a little.

jake080
01-29-2005, 03:51 AM
thanks guys... definately thinking i would get more out of the mpx220 :)
also, still curious about the minisd expansion options... there are 2 slots, correct? one externally acessible and one internal? also, motorola says max 512mb, the largest chip available is 512, soon-to-be 1024... i need some thoughts on this all... will there likely be firmware upgrades as the capacities get larger?!?

xxpinballxx
01-29-2005, 04:05 AM
I have sen 1gig miniSD online. I believe they are already available.

There is one mini slot on the outside, I have never heard anything about an internal miniSD slot. Or seen it personally.
THe phone specs say 512 because that is the largest that was out.
However does not mean that larger wouldn't be recognized. I am not sure if a 1gig mini will be read as 1gig or just 512 and the other 512 unseen or what. I have two seperate 512s.

It is a real nice phone and has some great apps that you can use on it.
Look at smartphone.net and handago.com. Both have a bunch of programs and smartphonethoughts.com had a world of info that I used and found very helpful as far ass tweaks and problem solving.