View Full Version : Which Bluetooth GPS is best?

stsanford
01-26-2005, 09:19 PM
I'm seriously considering getting GPS for my car through the PDA. Anyone out there have any recommendations?

Thanks!

Scott

Sooner Magic
01-26-2005, 09:59 PM
I bought the Socket (Model D1598) and have been very pleased. It is so sensitive that I can leave it in the center console and it still maintians contact with 3-5 satellites!

stsanford
01-26-2005, 11:09 PM
Thanks for your feedback, how does the software work. Is it like the ones reviewed here on PPCT?

Specifically, I'm interested in audio as well as visual waypoint and direction notification.

I'm planning on using it in a Jaguar X-Type, so if anyone has any experience with where to mount the PDA would be terrific.

Thanks,
Scott

PDANEWBIE
01-27-2005, 01:45 AM
You can go here and take a look at reviews both hardware and software -

http://www.pocketgps.co.uk/index.php

As far as PDA mounts there are a ton but I don't know of any conprehensive sites on reviews them. If you do a google search on PDA car mounts you can find alot.

I like the looks of http://www.proclipusa.com as it has a dual mount solution (for bluetooth GPS and a PDA and the mount is integrated into your car style).

You can have the sky be the limit they have mounts that amplify audio for voice instuctions to be loder if you have a soft audio PDA they also have a in mount PDA charger so your PDA actually gets charged while its turned on and running.

As far as GPS hardware I am using a GlobalSat BT-308 and I have not had one iota of issues with it short of when I first tried to use it (before I let it charge up).

Software usually is ran on the PDA and then has maps preloaded (If you have a large CF card or SD card you can store more maps).

As far as hardware your looking for anything that holds a fair amount of satelites even in non LOS (line of sight) situations. I actually have been able to keep my BT in the glove compartment without any problems.

Basically each part is independant of the other software, mount, and gps hardware unless you buy a package that is all inclusive. The problem with the all inclusive packages is usually the mounts aren't the best or the software they include isn't the one thats best for you.

jimski
01-27-2005, 07:07 AM
Tom Tom Navigator 2004 was easy to set up right out of the box. It only took one trip home from the office to figure out how everything works. I am using a simple cupholder mount (power for PDA and Bluetooth GPS, speaker & volume control) from Mobile Plant but I am sure there are many other options

stsanford
01-28-2005, 06:09 AM
So you like TomTom, that's good, it's top of my list so far, one question though: What software are you using?

I love those cusom mounts, I was looking at one with the speaker and charger built in, but we're talking over $160 for just the mounting solution. Ouch! I mean, I don't really have a budget, and I don't want a cheap solution, so I guess I can pony up the money for the proper mounting hardware....

STS

Richard76
01-28-2005, 08:34 PM
You might want to visit this site and read some excellent reviews on both hardware and software!

http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/default.asp?_SetCurrentVersion=EN

Good luck.