View Full Version : Audible support for Level 4 files on PPC

EricMCarson
01-26-2005, 04:39 PM
I have been bugging Audible about why they do not support Audible Level 4 files for playback on the PPC. They have replied back to me twice saying that it is a limitation of the Pocket PC and not an Audible limitation ("Audible is not responsible for making devices support Audible formats). I asked why they cannot just release a new Audible player that supports level 4 files and I got the same response that it is a problem with the Pocket PC platform, not Audible.

I just cannot believe that an MP3 player can play back Level 4 files and my Pocket PC cannot. I greatly prefer Level 4 sound quality and with the cost of SD memory anymore, size is not an issue.

Is there a limitation of the Pocket PC platform that I am not aware of (particularly in devices released in the last 2 years) that would prohibit playback of Audible Level 4? Maybe we should start a petition to get Level 4 support on the PPC (at least on Windows Mobile 2003 devices) in order to take advantage of the sound quality?

ChristopherTD
01-27-2005, 08:25 AM
There is no reason why they cannot do this - it is just a matter of development resources.

Conduit Software (who make Pocket Player) were looking at adding Level 4 support, but I don't know where they got to.