View Full Version : 2210 Battery Backup question

MonkeyMera
01-26-2005, 10:34 AM
Ive just bought a ipaq 2210 secondhand, and i removed the main batter from the back just to have a look and when i switched it back on it was at the tap on the crosses screen all the progs were losts etc, is there an internal back-up battery? and how do i change it? and how long do they last?

Thanks

Monkey

phs
01-26-2005, 10:54 AM
The 2210 has a backup battery, says right there in
Start => Settings => Power

MonkeyMera
01-26-2005, 11:42 AM
It says 100%, but is that just allowing the PC to run from the main battery and keep it going untill it gets charged again,

Can i take the main battery out of the unit for say 1 min (to allow swapping of batteries) and NOT loose any programs, data setting etc or does the main battery have to stay in to keep the information backed up?

is there a seperate smaller round watch type battery like a BIOS battery on your computer that acts like a temporary backup battery, if so how do i change it cos i think its dead.

Menneisyys
01-26-2005, 01:36 PM
It says 100%, but is that just allowing the PC to run from the main battery and keep it going untill it gets charged again,

Can i take the main battery out of the unit for say 1 min (to allow swapping of batteries) and NOT loose any programs, data setting etc or does the main battery have to stay in to keep the information backed up?

is there a seperate smaller round watch type battery like a BIOS battery on your computer that acts like a temporary backup battery, if so how do i change it cos i think its dead.

It's a capacitor, not a (rechargeable) battery. This is why it's not swappable and seems to be "rechargeable" (although it's just charging/filling a capacitor).

In general, it lasts for the time you change your main battery - 1 min max (but you'll able to swap batteries in 10-20 secs). I've swapped my 2210 batteries a lot of times and never had problems because of the backup "battery" emptying. Of course, I've tried to do this very fast.

Robb Bates
01-26-2005, 02:55 PM
It's a capacitor, not a (rechargeable) battery. This is why it's not swappable and seems to be "rechargeable" (although it's just charging/filling a capacitor).

Actually, it says right on the Power screen that it's a Li-ion battery. A small one, no doubt, and soldered onto the main board.

Just being nit-picky.

Robb

Menneisyys
01-26-2005, 03:03 PM

Actually, it says right on the Power screen that it's a Li-ion battery. A small one, no doubt, and soldered onto the main board.

It's because of the operating system, and not the actual hardware. All capacitor-based current PDA's have (almost) the same 'Backup battery' display, while, physically, they have all moved to the much easier / safer capactor technology.

MonkeyMera
03-07-2005, 04:13 PM
When i take the battery out and put it back in (max 10 seconds) the unit is back to factory preset and i have ot install everything, so as far as im concerned the backup battery/capacitor what ever is dead, is this easily rectified?

how long should the main battery last for, im getting max 3 hours is the the norm, ive had the PDA on charge over night and it still only lasted this long, with the loght set to the lowest and the Beam and bluetooth switched off as well as the sound, thats not continuous but speard ofver 2 days 1.5 hours 1 day 1.5hours the next then the unit is dead.

PDANEWBIE
03-07-2005, 04:50 PM
3 hours continuious use is fine on a 2215 depending on the brightness of your Backlight. the backlight level will be one of the largest factors of runtime along with your integrated BT and if you have a WiFi-Card in.

I would see if you can find a how to on changing that capacitor I am sure it can be done manually if you know how to solder (that is if this PPC is out of warranty) almost sounds like the capacitor is not holding its charge.

Oh yeah and fixing the capacitor is not going to change your batteries max run life.

If you don't mind a bulge (an extra quarter inch on the back of the PPC) you can ditch your HP cradle buy a USB charging cable (like 15$) and get the Mugen extended life 2200mAh battery for over double the runtime of the 950mAh battery

stevelam
03-29-2005, 03:51 PM
3 hours is that it!!! :wink: I usually get at least 5 hours. A good tip if you are playing music is to set a button to toggle the screen on and off. Also if it was second hand the battery could be in bad condition as with constant draining and re-charging they lose power. Also try a reset while charging as this resets the piece of the operating system that says when it is charged :mrgreen:

Kowalski
03-30-2005, 08:10 AM
3 hours seems a little bit short with backlight on low and beaming, BT and wi-fi off.
i have a 1.5 year old 2215 and still get 5~hours of work with 50% backlight

Menneisyys
03-30-2005, 09:03 AM
3 hours continuious use is fine on a 2215 depending on the brightness of your Backlight.

I'd say at least 5 hours with a decent (but not full) backlight and with moderately CPU-intensive apps. The 2215 doesn't "eat" much.

Menneisyys
03-30-2005, 09:06 AM
When i take the battery out and put it back in (max 10 seconds) the unit is back to factory preset and i have ot install everything, so as far as im concerned the backup battery/capacitor what ever is dead, is this easily rectified?

I've also had some hard resets because of the 20-40 secs the capacitor is able to power RAM (and the HardCE batteries...). It seems it can't be fixed...

how long should the main battery last for, im getting max 3 hours is the the norm, ive had the PDA on charge over night and it still only lasted this long, with the loght set to the lowest and the Beam and bluetooth switched off as well as the sound, thats not continuous but speard ofver 2 days 1.5 hours 1 day 1.5hours the next then the unit is dead.

3 hours with the 2215 is definitely NOT the norm with sporadic use you've described. The 2215, with a healthy battery, is capable of at least 2 times more.