View Full Version : MAJOR flaw in i-mate jam

Mark Somerstein
01-25-2005, 08:40 PM
I am EXTREMELY frustrated with my new i-mate jam based on a change in one feature from my mda II, and I cannot believe that no review noted this critical flaw. The i-mate jam (and perhaps other new pocket pc phones but not the mda II) requires users to manually disconnect from a grps connection. This makes the device useless to me!! I had used my pocket pc phone mda II to "fetch" e-mail every 60 minutes from designated e-mail accounts. The old pocket inbox software on the mda II did this job fine and automatically would connect to the internet via gprs, logon to my e-mail server, perform any pending tasks, such as grabbing any new mail, disconnect from the server, then disconnect from the gprs connection. The new software disconnects from the e-mal server, but leaves the gprs connection live so the power to the pda stays on all the time and drains the pda because the gprs is still connected after the fetch function is fully performed. On the mda II, the pda would turn off after 3 minutes, then awake in an hour later to check the mail again. THIS NEW SOFTWARE IS TOO STUPID FOR WORDS. I have confirmed with i-mate via their technical support what I state in this post regarding how gprs works and how inbox now works. I have owned over 10 pda's during the past 15 years, and I cannot believe that after all this time designers cannot get the simplest things right. It is always something. The hp-200 lx was better than all of junk that I have endured over the past 15 years. If anyone has a suggestion to accomplish the simple task of getting e-mail (software that can control the gprs connection to automate a disconnection??), I would certainly appreciate one otherwise I will e-bay this pos pda and hope that no one else buys one - except mine :)

Paragon
01-25-2005, 09:38 PM
In other discussions on this topic it has surfaced that it seems to be the carriers initiating this.

On the JAM if you hold down the end button for a few seconds it will disconnect GPRS. T-Mobile have gone a step further in this and have removed that function from the Compact, so it is very difficult to turn off GPRS.

There is an app that fixes this problem though. I haven't used it on my JAM for very long, but it seems to be ok so far.

http://www.gb-soft.cz/XDAII/product_gprs_tweak_en.htm

Good luck!
Dave

g0097
01-25-2005, 10:44 PM
My goodness!! I just got my JAM fifteen minutes ago and I came on to Thoughts and saw the title of your post. As I opened it, all i could think was, oh hell....well...I am glad to see that it is something that can be fixed. I will download the program Paragon linked to and see how it works. :D

Mark Somerstein
01-26-2005, 03:01 AM
Thanks very much for your reply. This software fixes the issue. Sorry to send out a panic, but I am pretty familiar with available software and did not know about this application. Thanks again. Now I just need to figure out why the graphics seems much slower than on the mda II.