View Full Version : Multi PPC2003 emulator?

Amelia
01-25-2005, 05:59 AM
Can start many emulators in one computer?
I would like to test multi-client application (over network), if one computer can only start one emulator, that means I need to use many computers to test the application?! 8O

Any idea?
Thanks.

GSmith
01-25-2005, 05:41 PM
Yes, multiple emulators can be run simultaneously. But I've never tried running multiple emulators *with* connectivity, yet. This would be difficult (impossible?) to do while debugging multiple clients in VS.NET.

Also, getting connectivity with ActiveSync for downloading software to each emulator would be difficult to manage. You might have to do that one at a time. Ugh.

Take good notes while you're doing it, and if you get this working, please post!

Greg Smith
Author, FeederReader - The Pocket PC RSS reader and podcatcher
www.FeederReader.com

Amelia
02-01-2005, 03:49 PM
Thanks, GSmith.

I tried to ask in few forums, all the answers are the same. And I think that's the final answer: cannot run 2 PPC emulator (same type) in one PC.

Thanks your help!

GSmith
02-02-2005, 05:09 PM
I would suggest you try it. You will probably only get one connected to VS.NET debugger, but the other one might have ethernet connectivity, just not through ActiveSync. It will be hard, I'm sure, as there is very little documentation on it to this level.

This is one of those advanced things that many people have uninformed opinions about (although maybe some of the opinions you've gotten were informed). Depending on exactly what you're trying to do, it may be possible.

For example: I've run ActiveSync inside a Virtual PC and connected to an external iPAQ 2215 running over bluetooth, emulating a serial port. It had some problems, but was for a little while my main development system.

I don't know anyone else that's done this, and I'm sure some would say it isn't possible.

There's nothing to lose by trying it! Good Luck!

Amelia
02-11-2005, 10:01 AM
Hi.

The most "successful" multi-PPC with connectivity (emulator) I can get is using one PPC 2003 emulator and one PPC2002 emulator.

Sync the exe to 2003 emulator (using ActiveSync, and deploy the same application into 2002 emulator.
Then, 2 of them can communicate with each other through a server.

However, I can't run 2 same-version emulators (eg: both is PPC2003 emulator) with connectivity.

Did you try to run 2 or more same-version emulator at one time with connectivity?

On the other hand, if you have another one real device (I only have one to test it. Who has 2 or more real devices, maybe can test it), then you can connect it though PC connection (I don't have WiFi at home), and you can have THREE devices (2 emulators + 1 real device) to communicate to each other!

GSmith
02-11-2005, 02:27 PM
I haven't tried this with connectivity. I only noticed that I can open multiple emulators. And now that you mention it, yes they were different versions, not multiple instances of the same. If you need multiple modern versions of the emulator and cannot get the same one executing twice on your machine, there are many emulator images available for WM2003SE including various permuations of 240x240, VGA, Landscape. You may be able to get multiple of those running as well.

You are breaking new ground here. Keep this thread updated with your progress!

Sounds like you got further than some people thought you would. Those NAYSAYERS!

Congratulations.