View Full Version : Need advice on new PDA........PPC VS. PALM

dclax07
01-25-2005, 05:05 AM
Hi

Im a student and I decided I needed a PDA. I got one freshman year ( a crappy ipaq 3835 ) and I used it for less than a week before selling it, I hated it. Plus I didnt find that I used it much besides listening to music and playing games. Now that I have my ipod, I decided I needed a PDA .

Main uses

Organization/Planning
Email
Programs - I like small programs, even if useless such as periodic table, spanish verb conjugator, whatever.
Word/Excel - Or anything like it

Criteria

Form factor - Must be small enough to fit in my pocket...my ipaq i had to buy in my backpack and that wasnt pretty

price - 300-400 USD

power - must be capable of running most small/mid apps and email + organization.....Im not going to be using this for intense gaming or GPS or whatever.

I havent looked at PDA's in a long time so i dont know whats out in the market as of now.....

I was thinking of mostly a T3, but I dont know any of the new sony or Ipaq's that came out. The last time i looked at PDA's was when the h4150 series came out. I remember i liked the h4150, but dont know whats on the market right now

Thanks

Deemo
01-25-2005, 05:42 AM
If I were you I would look into picking up a used HP 2210/2215.
Even at over 1 year on the market is is an excellent machine.
It has good battery life and solid HP build - well except for the side grips but I haven't had an issue.
It should do the trick.

Menneisyys
01-25-2005, 10:18 AM
I was thinking of mostly a T3, but I dont know any of the new sony or Ipaq's that came out. The last time i looked at PDA's was when the h4150 series came out. I remember i liked the h4150, but dont know whats on the market right now

As you don't want to browse the Web / don't want to play / don't want to watch videos (in these areas, the PPC is orders of magniture better), I'd really consider the T3 over any QVGA Pocket PC because of the quality (and the resolution) of its screen. It just can't be compared to any QVGA PPC.

I think you also should post your question to a non-PPC-only forum; e.g. http://discussion.brighthand.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=206

surur
01-25-2005, 01:22 PM
If I were you I would look into picking up a used HP 2210/2215.

I think he should get a palm V. Im sure its very cheap on ebay and the battery life will amaze him :)

Surur

twmiller
01-25-2005, 04:53 PM
I would consider a palm OS over a PPC, for what you want.

Go over to a palm forum and ask around there.