View Full Version : Removing Notication Bubbles on XP Pro

jbachandouris
01-24-2005, 11:14 PM
Ever since I installed SP2, XP insists on telling me that there are no networks available and that it has connected to a LAN. I have already tried un-checking the boxes in the network properties box,but that does not seem to help. Is there a registry tweak necessary?

Paul Martin
01-25-2005, 04:49 AM
You know, I've been wondering the same thing, so I did a little looking at found this handy page at Microsoft: Disable Notification Area Balloon Tips in Windows XP (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307729&sd=tech). I also saw a tip that the free XP powertoy TweakUI (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx) will also do the job (and no messy registry settings for you to do)! Hope that helps.

Paul

jbachandouris
01-25-2005, 11:51 AM
:| I was hoping it would be possible to disable balloon tips ONLY for the networking section. Apparently not. I did find Power Toys already, but I was trying to find a way to make it work in one area (networking), not all.

Paul Martin
01-25-2005, 02:34 PM
Sorry, didn't realize that you were only looking to turn off the networking bubbles. If you find an answer, please post back!

Steve14965
01-28-2005, 08:11 AM
I too would like to rid of the networking bubbles. I have 3 network cards (ethernet, Netgear 108MBPS notebook card, built in broadcom wireless b/g) and every time on start up it alerts me I am not using 2/3 networking cards. Also especially annoying when it randomly pops up telling you that you're connected to the wireless network.

Steven Cedrone
01-28-2005, 01:15 PM
Try this:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

Create a new DWORD value called EnableBalloonTips.
Give it a decimal value of 0 (zero)
Click OK.

Keep in mind, this may disable ALL of the balloon notifications on ANY item in the systray (not just network notifications)...

Steve

*You may need to reboot for this to take effect!

JustinGTP
01-28-2005, 08:11 PM
Steven,

That was the tip that PMRADIO gave to jbachandouris already. If you were to have read their posts, jbachandouris told us that he only wants to disable network bubbles and nothing else.

-Justin.

Steven Cedrone
01-29-2005, 12:21 AM
Steven,

That was the tip that PMRADIO gave to jbachandouris already. If you were to have read their posts, jbachandouris told us that he only wants to disable network bubbles and nothing else.

-Justin.

Thanks for pointing that out Young Honda! Pleasure to have you around to make sure I don't foul up!!! :roll:

Steve

Janak Parekh
01-29-2005, 02:10 AM
:| I was hoping it would be possible to disable balloon tips ONLY for the networking section. Apparently not. I did find Power Toys already, but I was trying to find a way to make it work in one area (networking), not all.
I did a lot of searches on this topic a year ago, and found the answer is "you can't turn off just network bubbles". Not a very clever design on the part of Microsoft. :(

--janak

Jonathon Watkins
01-29-2005, 03:35 PM
I did a lot of searches on this topic a year ago, and found the answer is "you can't turn off just network bubbles". Not a very clever design on the part of Microsoft. :(

I just turned off all bubbles on my laptop. The wifi bubble was driving me nuts.

Wiggster
01-29-2005, 03:48 PM
Can't you just double-click on the network icon in the taskbar, click Properties (or go to Start->Control Panel, Network Connections, right-click on your connection, go to Properties) and uncheck "Show icon in notification area when connected"? I don't think that it'd show a notification bubble when there's no system tray icon.

Janak Parekh
01-29-2005, 07:51 PM
Can't you just double-click on the network icon in the taskbar, click Properties (or go to Start->Control Panel, Network Connections, right-click on your connection, go to Properties) and uncheck "Show icon in notification area when connected"? I don't think that it'd show a notification bubble when there's no system tray icon.
Hmm - the problem with that is I want the icon, just not the popups, since I need to know the status of a wireless connection (for example). But I'll play with it.

--janak

jbachandouris
01-30-2005, 12:42 AM

No you cannot. I had already unchecked the box, but that does not stop the network bubbles.

On a side note: when you install a new hardware device, what do you think Windows uses to let you know? You guessed it bubble notification! This is sooo annoying! Before SP2, I did not have ANY problems with unwanted notifcations.