View Full Version : Looking for Software That Allows Me To Control The # of Appts Displayed

shawnc
01-24-2005, 07:47 PM
No rant here (OK, maybe a quick one). It is mind-boggling to me that a product marketed as an Organizer (that is the core function of a PPC/PDA) needs a 3rd-party app to display more than one appointment OR any amount of Tasks on it's main screen. Really, this is no less egregious than releasing an Organizer with known malfunctioning alarms. All these other bells and whistles that we have come to love are nice, but you can't possibly make this product mainstream as an organizer that will only display one appointment, no tasks, and oh by the way, the alarms don't work. We can explain this all we want, but trust me, it is incomprehensible to anyone that is a non-techie (and to most techie's as well).

Enough of the rant. I'm trying to find a free or very inexpensive piece of software to address these shortcomings. Given the choice between free and something for say $5, I'd rather pay the $5 if the installation is simple and straightforward. By this I mean I download an executible file, dock my PPC, and that's it. A little while ago Ed posted on a free product that would address the multiple appointments. I tried it but couldn't figure out which files needed to be copied to my PPC and how to complete the install. I was going to give it a 2nd try but could not find Ed's post (yes, I did a search :wink: ).

As always, any help is appreciated.

ironguy
01-24-2005, 08:16 PM
I personally use PocketBreeze from www.sbsh.net. This program is a Today page plug-in and you control the amount of space it takes up on your Today screen. You can control the number of days to display, you can filter appts, tasks, etc. There's really too much to list here about how good this program is.

The technical support for this program and its associates is second to none. The forums are lively and the developer answers quickly. Updates and improvements are frequent. I urge you to check it out.

:D

surur
01-24-2005, 08:19 PM
Try this:

Calendar+
Calendar+ is a Today screen plug-in that expands on the existing Microsoft Calendar Today plug-in.

http://mohairsofa.com/Default.aspx/document/10

Free, very simple, and very well regarded.

http://mohairsofa.com/content/photos/normal/Photo_21.JPG
http://mohairsofa.com/content/photos/normal/Photo_25.JPG

For every hole MS leaves there is some-one to plug it.

Surur

shawnc
01-24-2005, 08:40 PM
Thanx Ironguy/Surur. Both of these appear to be exactly what I'm looking for.

For every hole MS leaves there is some-one to plug it.

I know you're right and I don't expect MS to supply a perfect product. But there are 3 things that are simply unacceptable, short-sighted, and downright stupid on their part:

Inability to display multiple appointments on an ORGANIZER
Alarms that don't work on an ORGANIZER
Intentionally misleading unsuspecting consumers that the OS provides a version of MS Word by providing an Icon that mimicks that which consumers see on their desktop. Then providing a product that in no way provides even minimal or basic sync functionality.

All other shortcomings appear reasonable in my opinion. These 3 simply cross the line.

Thanx again.

shawnc
01-25-2005, 03:12 AM
I went with Calendar +. Man, this is sooooooooooo cool! Installation was a breeze and the display is extremely customizable. I LOVE IT! I turn on my PPC and immediately see my appointments for the next 2 days. It's almost like my PPC is an..................Organizer :wink: .

ctmagnus
01-25-2005, 03:42 AM
If you like that, there's a 30% discount for PocketBreeze on the Subscriber's discount page. Just thought I'd bring that up since you display the badge and all... ;)

shawnc
01-25-2005, 04:03 AM
ct,

I like free but there is something about 30% off that piques my curiosity. After reading your post I went back and took a real good look at the software. For 10-bucks, I may pick it up.

Thanx,

applejosh
01-25-2005, 05:03 AM
I've never used Calendar+, so I can't compare the two. But I do love Pocket Breeze. After visiting the forums and seeing how active and responsive the developer is, I was sold. (I wasn't a subscriber at the time, so I even paid full price.) It's hands down the most useful today screen plugin I've come across. Try the trial, visit the forums, and see what you think.

Disclaimer: After seeing that I've mentioned Pocket Breeze on a number of occasions, I should mention that I don't work for SBSH nor do I get any kind of compensation for talking about Pocket Breeze. I just like the software a great deal.

Kati Compton
01-25-2005, 05:46 AM
I recommend PocketBreeze the most - I think it's definitely worth the money.

But if anyone really needs free, I used to use tAgenda and was reasonably happy with it.