View Full Version : SIM exchange

george616
01-23-2005, 06:28 PM
hi,
in two months im buying the hpipaq 3615 with the unlimited data plan and a calling plan, i travel to mexico at least 4 times a week and the ipaq is to much for mexico (3 phones stolen) i was wonderingif you could use the sim card of the ipaq for, my current tmobiles samsung e315 cell and sierre wireless card from tmobile also ?? and if you can, are there any extrta charges in the data transmision even with the unlimited data plan?.

thanks.

George

Menneisyys
01-23-2005, 08:41 PM
and if you can, are there any extrta charges in the data transmision even with the unlimited data plan?.

I, being an EU citizen, don't know much about the American roaming rates. I'm pretty sure, though, that it will cost you a lot to roam abroad. The best solution is getting a pre-paid card as soon as you arrive at Mexico. Most probably there're pre-paid constructions with data capabilities.

At least this is the case inside the EU: if I go to another country, I don't do any GPRS roaming because it would cost me a fortune (20-30 euros a day!). I just go into the first GSM shop and buy myself a local SIM card.

george616
01-23-2005, 09:12 PM
well i was not very expecific, i live in the border with mexico in laredo, texas and i dont use roam when i cross the border, its 8 to 10 miles in mexico where i have tmobie regular signail, the problem is that i want to know if i can use the sim card of an hp ipaq with unlimited data plan and a calling plan with a cell phone and a sierra wireless card this products all from t mobile.
the city across the border is very dangerous so i would like to take mi cell phone instead of the hp ipaq, and the wireless card for laptops has a sim card slot so maybe i could use the same sim card for the three devices??

Menneisyys
01-23-2005, 09:16 PM
well i was not very expecific, i live in the border with mexico in laredo, texas and i dont use roam when i cross the border, its 8 to 10 miles in mexico where i have tmobie regular signail, the problem is that i want to know if i can use the sim card of an hp ipaq with unlimited data plan and a calling plan with a cell phone and a sierra wireless card this products all from t mobile.
the city across the border is very dangerous so i would like to take mi cell phone instead of the hp ipaq, and the wireless card for laptops has a sim card slot so maybe i could use the same sim card for the three devices??

If the other devices aren't locked, then, you can put your other SIM cards freely in them.

george616
01-23-2005, 09:19 PM
how would i know if they are locked, and if they are how woul i unlock them?

Menneisyys
01-23-2005, 09:26 PM
how would i know if they are locked, and if they are how woul i unlock them?

Simple: just put your SIM card in them. If they refuse to use it, then, they're locked. Nothing else will happen - nothing will be ruined/destroyed.

george616
01-23-2005, 09:44 PM
ok, just talk to customer care in tmobile and they said that i could use a bluetooth adapter to connect to the internet with my laptop, would you recomed the bluetooth or the wireless card?

Menneisyys
01-23-2005, 09:51 PM
ok, just talk to customer care in tmobile and they said that i could use a bluetooth adapter to connect to the internet with my laptop, would you recomed the bluetooth or the wireless card?

To connect to a mobil phone? The BT card.

Or, if you also have a Wi-Fi subscription, then, the wireless card - but it will hardly have any use 8-10 miles from the border, unlike GSM. (Wi-Fi has much less range.)

george616
01-23-2005, 09:58 PM
not wifi, gprs and it does work 8 to 10 miles into mexico with the regular sigal no romaing charges.

tmobiles sellls the hpipaq 6315 with bluetooth capabilities and the sierra wireless card that supports gprs.
with an adapter i could connect the ipaq with my laptop and surf the web or use the sierra card with the hp's sim card, this were the 2 options tmobile gave me.
wich is the best? are they differences?

yankeejeep
01-24-2005, 01:05 AM
For your use, the functionality of either the PC Card or the BT connection to your iPaq would be the same. The PC Card would be easier to slip into a pocket of your notebook case. On the other hand, if you had the iPaq with you, you could quickly connect to check for email without needing to start your notebook to make the connection. It really depends on what you want for flexibility.

There may be situations where the PC Card gives you somewhat faster connection speeds, but you can't count on that to be consistent.

george616
01-24-2005, 04:39 PM
thank you for you help

George