View Full Version : Whats working with your USB Host Cable?

Phillip Dyson
01-22-2005, 06:17 PM
There is a thread over at FirstLooks.org (http://www.firstloox.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2356&page=1&pp=15&highlight=ratoc)
talking about what works with their USB Host capabilites.

Just thought I would bring the discussion over here for the Toshiba e800 series.

After installing the Ratoc driver, here is what my e830 recognized ...

Sony USB 2.0 thumbdrive
Apple 10 GB iPod 8O My stylus was floating next to the format tab in Resco explorer. Wondering if I could just use it as a harddrive. I was able to browse it. Not ready to commit though. :lol:
Nikon Coolpix 3200

Anybody else go anything interesting?

gregmills
01-22-2005, 08:29 PM
I have an e750 but I'm using the same driver.

I can browse files on my Olympus Camedia D-580 and a MicroAdvantage QuickiDrive (USB thumbdrive).

I bought an HID gamepad on eBay but it wasn't recognized by either of two HID drivers I tried. But then it wasn't recognized by XP either (stupid gamepad).

Dyvim
01-22-2005, 10:02 PM
I have successfully connected:

1. Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop Pro keyboard & mouse (although the mouse doesn't do anything)
2. SanDisk Cruzer Titanium 512MB flash drive
3. SanDisk ImageMate SD/MMC card reader (kind of useless since device already has SD slot)
4. LaCie 80GB USB HD

I have failed to connect:
1. Canon Poweshot S410 camera (no problem since I can just pop out the CF card and put it in my e830 directly)
2. SanDisk ImageMate 6-in-1 card reader (4 slots, shows up as 4 drives on my PC) - this only shows up if I use the CF slot (which is the 1st of the 4 drives), so seems like Mass Storage driver is expecting only 1 drive per device. None of the other 3 slots show up.

I'm using the Ratoc driver

Phillip Dyson
01-25-2005, 04:26 AM

{snip}

I bought an HID gamepad on eBay but it wasn't recognized by either of two HID drivers I tried. But then it wasn't recognized by XP either (stupid gamepad).

Great. Lets not forget our older siblings.
This guy seems to have some joystick working.
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36580

Hey its a start. :)

mraya
02-10-2005, 07:41 PM
I have connected my camera to my e755 using the RATOC drivers, but also tried to connect an external CD burner, it seems to recognize the device (it doesn't ask for a new driver as it gets connected) but it says that it "needs to reformat the Storage Card". I think it is because of the File System, has anyone tried or achieved something like this?

WhiteStarLine
02-11-2005, 02:21 AM
Every day I rely on this driver to run my PDA. I have a Toshiba E750 with WM2003 and as soon as I get to work I connect up the powered USB hub with keyboard, mouse and thumb drive.

Full details are at http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=756102#post756102.

While testing I've connected two thumb drives at different times and put my 512 MB SD card into a 6in1 reader so that I could browse it. I tried to get my USB 2.0 external HDD but it seemed to need more power than the PDA could supply as the drive can be heard spinning but I cannot 'see' it. This is the case even when the power comes from a laptop (USB connection #1) and the data USB cable is plugged into the PDA.

When I return home I use a DELL keyboard with 2 port USB hub.

Phillip Dyson
02-11-2005, 04:00 AM
Every day I rely on this driver to run my PDA. I have a Toshiba E750 with WM2003 and as soon as I get to work I connect up the powered USB hub with keyboard, mouse and thumb drive.

How's the mouse working out for you?

WhiteStarLine
02-15-2005, 01:36 AM
How's the mouse working out for you?

Just perfect and has been since I installed it. I switch it on and run it when I'm plugged into a USB charger and close it down when I leave. You don't have to do this but I notice that if I am on battery power and the e750 suspends, the mouse doesn't work when I turn the power back on.

This is a very minor annoyance for an application that has given me such tremendous functionality.

equlizer
02-16-2005, 07:18 AM

{snip}

Great. Lets not forget our older siblings.
This guy seems to have some joystick working.
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36580

Hey its a start. :)

Yeh thats me :) I use the gamepad everyday. Youll just have to go to a store with lots of gamepads and try each one out

ddc
03-01-2005, 05:29 PM
So far, here's what I 've tried with success, infact I haven't found anything that doesn't work as expected.

Olympus D540z
Gyration wireless keyboard
Generic 6 in 1 card reader - (I think it's Verbatim)
Generic 128MB USB Key
Apple Pro USB Keyboard (!)

I was recently on a 2 week vacation and I forgot to bring my extra xD memory card for my camera, so at the end of each day, I just hooked up my camera to the USB host cable and copied the pics off the camera onto my 1GB SD card in my PDA. It was also really nice for viewing the pictures too.

Phillip Dyson
03-02-2005, 02:24 AM
So far, here's what I 've tried with success, infact I haven't found anything that doesn't work as expected.

Apple Pro USB Keyboard (!)

Cool!
How is the wireless keyboard hooked up via USB Host?

ddc
03-02-2005, 05:07 PM
The wireless keyboard has a USB receiver:

http://www.gyration.com/ultragt-compact.htm

grimzo
03-02-2005, 05:20 PM
hey this is cool - i have have a toshiba e830. What do I need to get to be able to connect USB devices to it? I ordered the USB sync cable -will that work?

Menneisyys
03-02-2005, 05:23 PM
hey this is cool - i have have a toshiba e830. What do I need to get to be able to connect USB devices to it? I ordered the USB sync cable -will that work?

Nope, you'l need the USB host cable. The USB sync cable is only meant for syncing with a desktop/notebook computer.

grimzo
03-02-2005, 05:32 PM
Where can I get this host cable from? (I'm located in Canada)

Ripper014
03-02-2005, 07:07 PM
Where in Canada....?

You can get it here at Handheld Canada... however they charge quite a premium to ship it. You were able to get it from Shop Toshiba Canada but when I last looked they had taken it off the site. But... a member of the Vancouver PPC Club tells me that they will be restocking.

http://www.handheldcanada.com/handheld/showProductDetail_en.jsp

grimzo
03-02-2005, 09:15 PM
I'm in Montreal

midtoad
03-21-2005, 05:17 PM
I ordered the USB mass storage driver from Detlef Jennet, at http://www.deje.gmxhome.de/software.html, well over a month ago. He received my PayPal payment but has not shipped me the driver. I've written to him 4 times about it and he hasn't replied even once. Has anyone here had any luck getting a response or a driver out of this guy?

... one day later... I got ahold of Detlef on the phone in Germany. He told me that he has been effectively without internet access since January, and now has a backlog of several thousand e-mails to work through. That explains his delay in getting me out the driver that I ordered.

BTW on his website you can get a trial version of his DeJe driver. Each time you use an external device, it will work for 15 minutes. So that's a way to use his driver temporarily while waiting for the full version to arrive.

cheers
S

Phillip Dyson
03-21-2005, 11:27 PM
I didn't even realize that there were commercial drivers. I've been using the Ratoc driver that I found over in the Brighthand forums.