View Full Version : Lost File Explorer

Cordium
01-22-2005, 08:37 AM
I have an XdaII. Been using it for a few months and love it.

It runs Pocket PC software, but somehow I've lost the 'File Explorer' application which allowed me to navigate and find files.

I've seached the device itself, and used the ActiveSync Explorer looking for this missing app.

It was on my device when I bought it. Checked the CDs which came with the device and that 'File Explore' isn't listed on them.

Is there some hiddne place on the device I need to find? Or, better yet, can I download and re-install it on my device?

Thanks for any guidance on this.

Menneisyys
01-22-2005, 09:18 AM
I have an XdaII. Been using it for a few months and love it.

It runs Pocket PC software, but somehow I've lost the 'File Explorer' application which allowed me to navigate and find files.

I've seached the device itself, and used the ActiveSync Explorer looking for this missing app.

It was on my device when I bought it. Checked the CDs which came with the device and that 'File Explore' isn't listed on them.

Is there some hiddne place on the device I need to find? Or, better yet, can I download and re-install it on my device?

Thanks for any guidance on this.

1. Create a file named File Explorer.lnk in a text editor on your desktop, with the following contents:

21#:MSFEXPLORE

2. copy it to \Windows\Start Menu or \Windows\Start Menu\Programs on your device.

If you don't have a desktop computer but you really need FE, you can also do the following:

1, press the Action button on your PDA, and tap-and-hold the time signal in the upper end

2, after the red circle animation finishes, release the clock; in the pop-up menu, choose Run and enter :MSFEXPLORE in it to temporarily start it.

BTW, this trick is not really documented in any MS docs.

Cordium
01-22-2005, 09:43 AM
Ok, I did the first option you mentioned:

1. Create a file named File Explorer.lnk in a text editor on your desktop, with the following contents:

2. copy it to \Windows\Start Menu or \Windows\Start Menu\Programs on your device.

Now, I generic file in my Programs folder shows up with the name : File Explorer, sure enough..... but.... when I click on it, I get a 'par' error saying:

Cannot find 'par' (or one of its components). Make sure the pathe and filename are correct and all the required libraries are available.

I assume that means this is a bigger problem than just creating a shortcut/pointer.

Menneisyys
01-22-2005, 09:47 AM
Did you try the 2nd option (running it directly)?

Cordium
01-22-2005, 09:53 AM
Um, I couldn't get that option to work.

My interface doesn't show a clock/timer signal when pressing the Action button. No red circle.

Is there another way to get RUN: to come up?

Menneisyys
01-22-2005, 10:10 AM
Um, I couldn't get that option to work.

My interface doesn't show a clock/timer signal when pressing the Action button. No red circle.

Is there another way to get RUN: to come up?

I meant the clock in the upper right corner of the screen.

Cordium
01-22-2005, 10:20 AM
The only thing that happens when I tap and hold on the time is it asks for 'analog or digital' dlsplay options.

Cordium
01-22-2005, 10:25 AM
Nevermind, I got it to show the RUN dialogue box..... I just wasn't coordinated enough at first.

So, I input MSFEXPLORE ,clicked OK and another error:

Cannot find 'MSFEXPLORER' .....

Menneisyys
01-22-2005, 10:26 AM
The only thing that happens when I tap and hold on the time is it asks for 'analog or digital' dlsplay options.

Do you press the Action button at the same time?

Menneisyys
01-22-2005, 10:27 AM
Nevermind, I got it to show the RUN dialogue box..... I just wasn't coordinated enough at first.

So, I input MSFEXPLORE ,clicked OK and another error:

Cannot find 'MSFEXPLORER' .....

No trailing R and insert a heading : this way: :MSFEXPLORE

Cordium
01-22-2005, 10:29 AM
Got it......... missed the colon (:).

So that did it. But when I close out of it and try to start it with the initially installed .lnk file, I get the same par error.

Will I always have use RUN to start FE? Or is there another solution for a pointer/shortcut within the interface?

Menneisyys
01-22-2005, 10:35 AM
Got it......... missed the colon (:).

So that did it.

This means the link MUST work. Are you sure it only contains one row:

(the number at the beginning doesn't really mean much for current OS'es; you may even try incrementing it.)

Cordium
01-22-2005, 12:32 PM
Yup. one line.

Copied and pasted it as you typed it.

Increased the number from 21 to 22 to see what would happen.... no change except after rebooting the PDA, the icon in the interface changed from the generic page icon to the more familiar 'folder' icon...but still no navigation abilities....and a persistent par error.

Then, I increased the number to 23 from 22 and rebooted the PDA again.

At first, the top 'recent' icon gave navigation abilties.... yeah! But the main menu icon opened IE and showed: 23#:MSFEXPLORE as text in the web browser window.....

At first I though ' one step forward, three steps back'... but then I rebooted the PDA about three more times, and for some reason, after only rebooting that many times........everything works.

Thanks for the help and your patience. Much appreciated.