View Full Version : Pocket Painter

isomaniac
01-21-2005, 10:36 AM
I am trying this software and I have a problem. When I choose to OPEN file, I cannot select file on my SD Card. Even if I choose "ALL FOLDERS", it still cannot display the folders/files on my SD Card....

Any help please?

Menneisyys
01-21-2005, 10:59 AM
I am trying this software and I have a problem. When I choose to OPEN file, I cannot select file on my SD Card. Even if I choose "ALL FOLDERS", it still cannot display the folders/files on my SD Card....

Any help please?

Create a file named ignore_my_docs in the root of the SD card (it may contain anything, so it needn't be 0 byte in size). It'll instruct Pocket Painter to search for images in not only My Documents of your card, but also in other folders.

isomaniac
01-21-2005, 05:34 PM
Thanks! It works!!! But why?

Also, how can I change the size of the pen? It is too thick...I want thinner pen so that I can write thinner lines on the photos.

Thanks.

Menneisyys
01-21-2005, 05:51 PM
Thanks! It works!!! But why?

It's a pretty old, WinCE-related feature. See e.g. http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2863

Also, how can I change the size of the pen? It is too thick...I want thinner pen so that I can write thinner lines on the photos.

Thanks.

Press the button that has a back, filled, small circle in it - it's on the bottom of the tool palette.

isomaniac
01-22-2005, 03:37 AM
Thanks!! It works!!! I like Pocket Painter for its small program size and fast statup time. I wish it can add BROWSE thumbnail feature so that I don't have to rely on Ipaq Image Zone to browse browse for the exact jpg I want to edit.

Menneisyys
01-23-2005, 08:37 PM
Thanks!! It works!!! I like Pocket Painter for its small program size and fast statup time. I wish it can add BROWSE thumbnail feature so that I don't have to rely on Ipaq Image Zone to browse browse for the exact jpg I want to edit.

It doesn't know thumbnails - that's what its brother, Photo Explorer 1.55 ( http://www.aidem.com.tw/English/en_photoexplorer.htm ) offers. Some info:

QVGA in QVGA; forced VGA should be avoided (minor annoyances). Works OK in native VGA. 14 Mpixel thumbnail reading speed: 4:18 (average). Loaded the 6.6 Mbyte, 14 Mpixel image in 3-4 secs (very good, if not the best!).

Pros:
- excellent shrinking quality, unlike with most other apps
- excellent speed
- annotations are stored in the original image directory in the standardized format, unlike with most other apps
- 18 transition effects
- slideshow is able to synchronize with sound files, to wait for their end, unlike with most other apps
- integration with Aidem Pocket Painter to do the non-viewing (that is, editing) stuff. Editing done in Aidem Pocket Painter, however, don't see at once in Photo Explorer – the image must be saved from Pocket Painter and reloaded into Pocket Explorer.
Cons:
- problems in GIF slideshow with some (e.g., the Zoom) transition effects: only displays them in the left upper quarter screen; the other screen areas are filled with static
- no quick delete. (Not a serious problem – you'll hardly display GIF slideshows. JPG slideshows aren't affected by this bug.)
- even a bit of zooming results in pixelizated images (a tradeoff of very fast JPG decoding / loading)
- while rendering the thumbnails, it's totally unable to open any images – in this respect, it's even worse than XnView. Fortunately, it only renders a page of thumbnails: after rendering them, it again responds.
- no EXIF support

Verdict: not bad, especially if you use it together with Aidem Pocket Painter. Then, it becomes a very good, albeit a bit expensive tool.