View Full Version : Active Sync Problems

tvos
01-21-2005, 02:12 AM
PPC Users,

Been using pocket pc for the last year now and I really enjoy the product. I own a audiovox thera and samsung i700 pocket pc phone edition.

What I've noticed is that active sync 3.7 or 3.8 no matter what I do always run into problems losing usb connection. I am starting to think its possibly the usb connection itself and not active sync due to other usb devices showing problems - mobile mate drive, camera etc..

The pc that I built 3yrs is a asus motherboard p3333 and a intel pent iv 2.0 processor. I have over 1gig in memory and running win xp pro.

Any ideas that can help would be appreciated. This error is either active sync or usb drivers. But I am learning towards active sync..

Dave

drowe
01-21-2005, 02:25 AM
Does the PPC just lose connection for no reason and then taking it out of the cradle and putting it back in fixes it? If so, I don't have any solution, but I will let you know you are not alone in this behavior....... It's not a killer, just one more little annoyance.....

tvos
01-21-2005, 07:53 PM
it seems to effect anything to do with usb connections. like my mobile mate that has a removable sd/mmc card reader. sometimes it will mount the drive and then disappear. i know you're thinking it has to be usb possibly drivers or a bad usb device on the motherboard or pci card.

i will try to verify that by updating my usb drivers see if that makes a difference. but to answer your reply with active sync. i can have the device in the cradle and active sync will lose connection forcing me to reboot and play the connection game.

dw

DaViD_BRaNDoN
01-23-2005, 08:43 AM
You might wanna try to check out the power management feature of the USB Controller/Root Hub under Device Manager

tvos
01-23-2005, 05:21 PM
Dave,

What am I exactly looking for in the properties of the usb controller?

Please advise step by step.

Thanx.

Tvos

yankeejeep
01-23-2005, 06:33 PM
Take a look at the properties for the USB Root Hub which will be under the Universal Serial Bus Controllers group in Device Manager. You should see a tab in its Properties box called Power Management. Uncheck the box next to 'Allow the computer to turn off this device' and see if that stops the USB disconnect issue.

tvos
01-24-2005, 12:25 AM
YankeeJeep,

Thanx for the info. I've tried that and will see if it makes a difference. Now, the one thing that I've noticed under device manager for the usb controllers is each device listed twice.

SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller - appears two times
USB Root Hub - appears two times

The only usb connection is on my motherboard. Any ideas why this would list twice? I un-installed both and it still keeps coming back.

Please advise if this is correct.

Thank You,

Tvos

yankeejeep
01-24-2005, 01:11 AM
In general, a system would have a single built-in USB controller, so I am a little mystified by the duplication. The only thing I can think of doing as a check would be to delete both entries of both duplicates and then reboot. As the system comes up, it should scan for hardware changes and load the needed drivers. If you still have duplicates, then it is possible that you have two USB controllers.

tvos
01-24-2005, 03:53 AM
I did that already and still both came up with two controllers for both usb devices.. Maybe the motherboard comes like that?

In the meantime, I will disable both and see what happens.

What are your thoughts?

Tvos

DaViD_BRaNDoN
01-28-2005, 07:12 PM
Each physical USB port will have a dedicated Host Controller and also Root Hub each in Device Manager. My notebook has 3 USB ports and my Device Manager has 3 Host Controllers and 3 Root Hub