View Full Version : 512Mb DRAM - Coming To a PDA Near You!

Darius Wey
01-21-2005, 05:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=57702364' target='_blank'>http://informationweek.com/story/sh...icleID=57702364</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. has completed a working prototype of a 512 Mb dynamic random access memory for mobile products that operates at up to 333 megabits per second, transmitting 32 bits of data simultaneously."</i><br /><br />This will do me just fine! Samsung claims the chip, which operates at 1.8 volts, is fast enough to support 3D graphics and video streaming. However, the chip itself won't be produced until the second half of 2005, so while it's still a bit of a wait, you'll have ample opportunity to work out your salivatory glands as a pre-emptive response to this exciting release.

jimski
01-21-2005, 06:45 AM
Sure, bring it on :D . Then maybe the "memory unaware" folks at HP will allow me to load Voice Command after soft reset and still be able to activate the Bluetooth radio without getting a message telling me that I need to soft reset because there is not enough available memory (and of course the soft reset results in another soft reset message because Voice Command loaded up again :roll: ). And this is all with 65MB of the 85MB I have allocated to Program Memory (PPCT Upgrade) being available.

I feel like I am driving a Ferrarri :mrgreen: and I can't take it over 35 MPH :evil: . Sad, really sad.

Jon Westfall
01-21-2005, 07:35 AM
Now all we need to add is the ability to plug in any pocket pc to the USB port of a computer and have it be recognized as a USB Storage device if activesync isn't installed.

THAT would be nice.

freitasm
01-21-2005, 08:23 AM
Mind you, the title should be corrected... It's 512Mb not 512MB...

ADBrown
01-21-2005, 09:08 AM

Bingo. This translates as 64 MB of RAM. Fast RAM, but still 64 MB.

Darius Wey
01-21-2005, 10:23 AM

Oops, thanks Mauricio. ;) It's been a long day. :morning:

Kowalski
01-21-2005, 10:26 AM
Now all we need to add is the ability to plug in any pocket pc to the USB port of a computer and have it be recognized as a USB Storage device if activesync isn't installed.

THAT would be nice.

this would be great! there is only a palm, t5 can do that right now. but i am sure if microsoft would want to do that , they could do that

i dont understand why this feature hasnt implemented yet

gibson042
01-21-2005, 02:11 PM

Bingo. This translates as 64 MB of RAM. Fast RAM, but still 64 MB.
In other words, not much to salivate about after all. Interestingly, though, the chip can transfer its entire contents in 1.5 seconds. That's got to be a record!

Paragon
01-21-2005, 03:47 PM
be able to activate the Bluetooth radio without getting a message telling me that I need to soft reset because there is not enough available memory

That is actually a bug in the Bluetooth stack. Most OEMs using it have issued patches for it. I wold assume HP has as well, check and see. It is an annoying message isn't it!?

Dave

Darius Wey
01-22-2005, 03:41 AM
In other words, not much to salivate about after all. Interestingly, though, the chip can transfer its entire contents in 1.5 seconds. That's got to be a record!

Definitely. It wasn't the size I was craving. It was the speed. 8)