View Full Version : Compose email from Pocket PC

isomaniac
01-20-2005, 05:07 PM
Compose email from Pocket PC

I use Yahoo Mail and Hotmail mainly. I use both Pocket IE and Netfront too and have Regking as well.

But all these cannot help me to send email attachment while composing new email in Yahoo/Hotmail. Either I can browse for the attachment file but CANNOT attach it, OR I simply cannot browse for the attachment file. In other cases, I cannot use ADDRESS LIST from Yahoo/Hotmail.

Any good advice to fully utilize Yahoo Mail/Hotmail in pocket PC please?

Menneisyys
01-20-2005, 08:09 PM
Compose email from Pocket PC

I use Yahoo Mail and Hotmail mainly. I use both Pocket IE and Netfront too and have Regking as well.

But all these cannot help me to send email attachment while composing new email in Yahoo/Hotmail. Either I can browse for the attachment file but CANNOT attach it, OR I simply cannot browse for the attachment file. In other cases, I cannot use ADDRESS LIST from Yahoo/Hotmail.

Any good advice to fully utilize Yahoo Mail/Hotmail in pocket PC please?

Consider switching to Gmail. It's working 100% from Pocket Inbox / Messaging (it means it has both POP3 and SMTP access. THe latter means you don't even need to use your local SMTP server) and, because it's not HTTP-based, it's far faster / easier / more reliable. Also, attachments are sent over its own SMTP server without problems. In a word, it's the way to go.

As for the address book in Hotmail/Yahoo, you could synchronize them with your dekstop Outlook and, through that, your Pocket PC. After this, you can access them from your PDA too - again, locally, and not via the dog-slow/cluttered/unreliable HTTP.

I can send you a Gmail invite if interested.

Vincent M Ferrari
01-20-2005, 08:18 PM
Or you could just try something like Pocket Hotmail (http://www.frieger.com/photmail/).

If Yahoo! is your main address, consider upgrading to a pay service with them and you'll have POP3 access (check their plans to make sure they still offer this on certain plans).

And, as mentioned above, if you really don't mind changing email addresses, gmail probably is your best bet.

isomaniac
01-21-2005, 05:36 PM
Thanks. I have Gmail. But do I need to "turn on" the POP access of Gmail? And what are the POP and SMTP servers of Gmail?

Can I use address book in Gmail?

Menneisyys
01-21-2005, 05:55 PM
Thanks. I have Gmail. But do I need to "turn on" the POP access of Gmail? And what are the POP and SMTP servers of Gmail?

Settings / Forwarding and POP / check "Enable POP for all mail (even mail that's already been downloaded)". This unchecks the default "Disable POP".

Servers:

http://gmail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=13287

Can I use address book in Gmail?

Sure, your PDA's Contacts - Pocket Inbox / Messaging has access to it.

EDIT: the latter, of course, only refers to the PDA's own Contacts database, which should be synchronized to your online Contact address databases via desktop tools.

Vincent M Ferrari
01-21-2005, 05:55 PM
You do need to turn on POP access in gmail, and the server settings are in the help on that page.

As for the address book, you can't use it on your Pocket PC. Pocket Inbox will use whatever contacts you already have in your address book on your desktop (Outlook, Notes, or whatever else you sync to at home).

ipaq1940
01-22-2005, 03:14 AM
Can somebody give me a walkthrough on how to set up my gmail to sync with inbox on my ppc? I don;t get all the mumbo-jumbo words used in the account setup. Can someone please tell me what to do (exactly), because I am a n00b!

isomaniac
01-22-2005, 03:44 AM
Thanks for the advice. But do you mean I cannot, in Pocket PC, tap the first few alphabets of an email address in Gmail and then it auto pops out the whole email address? I can do that in desktop pc and I must say this is one of the BEST feature why I use Gmail (althouh Yahoo Mail has the same featuer, LATER than Gmail...).

Vincent M Ferrari
01-22-2005, 03:47 PM
You can't do that because you're not actually using gmail on a website. You're using your Pocket Inbox application to access gmail.

Ipaq1940:

If you want to do it, just go to Inbox, tap Accounts, then New Account, and follow the screens. When it asks you for server data, plug in the info from this site here:

That's everything you need to know.

Menneisyys
01-22-2005, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the advice. But do you mean I cannot, in Pocket PC, tap the first few alphabets of an email address in Gmail and then it auto pops out the whole email address? I can do that in desktop pc and I must say this is one of the BEST feature why I use Gmail (althouh Yahoo Mail has the same featuer, LATER than Gmail...).

You couldn't do that in PIE either (e.g., on Yahoo) -it just has too limited scripting capabilities. Stick with Inbox - it's a far "cleaner" and less bandwidth-hungry solution than any HTTP-based web mailer system.

ipaq1940
01-22-2005, 05:22 PM
You can't do that because you're not actually using gmail on a website. You're using your Pocket Inbox application to access gmail.

Ipaq1940:

If you want to do it, just go to Inbox, tap Accounts, then New Account, and follow the screens. When it asks you for server data, plug in the info from this site here:

Thanks, but it doesnt really work? Will this work if i dont have a wrelesss internet connection?

Here's what I enetered during the setup:
"enter email address": [email protected]
"your name": Tor Robinson
"password": *********
save password=yes
"account type": POP3
"name": POP
"incoming mail": pop.gmail.com
"outgoing mail": smtp.gmail.com
"domain": gmail.com
-OPTIONS:
"Connection": Work
"Outgoing email server requires authntication"= CHECKED
"Requires SSL connection"= CHECKED

What have I done wrong here?

Menneisyys
01-22-2005, 10:45 PM

Ipaq1940:

Thanks, but it doesnt really work? Will this work if i dont have a wrelesss internet connection?

Here's what I enetered during the setup:
"enter email address": [email protected]
"your name": Tor Robinson
"password": *********
save password=yes
"account type": POP3
"name": POP
"incoming mail": pop.gmail.com
"outgoing mail": smtp.gmail.com
"domain": gmail.com
-OPTIONS:
"Connection": Work
"Outgoing email server requires authntication"= CHECKED
"Requires SSL connection"= CHECKED

What have I done wrong here?

Your settings are OK. (you don't need to supply 'gmail.com' as the domain). What does happen? What is the error message?

Are you absolutely sure you've enabled POP3 download in gmail?

If yes, did you try to change 'WOrk' to 'The Internet' in the Connection drop-down menu in Options ? If your Wi-Fi card connects to 'The Internet' and not 'Work', it'll help.

ipaq1940
01-23-2005, 01:51 AM
wowowowowoowwwooo, Wi Fi card? I thought it could do it with activesync!

I want it to sync gmail with my inbox while syncing (while plugged in)

Menneisyys
01-23-2005, 11:53 AM
wowowowowoowwwooo, Wi Fi card? I thought it could do it with activesync!

I want it to sync gmail with my inbox while syncing (while plugged in)

Then, you have to create a gmail account in your desktop Outloook, and not on your PDA. Creating the account is pretty straightforward: you need to use the data you've used in setting up your PDA Inbox account. (Except for "Domain" and "Connection")

Menneisyys
01-25-2005, 01:12 PM
You can also check out http://pocketpcmag.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13382 on Gmail.