View Full Version : Pocket PC locks up

ToddJ
01-20-2005, 04:47 PM
I have the Pocket PC 4155 and occasionally my Pocket PC locks up after charging overnight. When I take it off the charger, the charging LED stays on steady (doesn't blink) and won't soft reset. The only way to get it back to normal is to take out the battery, but the hard resets the device and I lose all my info. Any ideas on what is causing this?

Jason Dunn
01-20-2005, 06:53 PM
I haven't heard of this particular issue, but are you running the latest ROM from HP? Quite often they fix issues like this with ROM updates...

applejosh
01-20-2005, 07:31 PM
Do you have any programs running at night (eg. Sprite backup or iPAQ Backup (if it was on the 4155))? I've never had it cause a hard reset, but I have had my device locked up as a result. (There was an issue with Sprite Backup (maybe iPAQ Backup as well) and Wisbar Advance 2 at some point. Not sure if it's fixed now or not (although I don't currently have a problem with it).

ToddJ
04-26-2005, 03:13 PM
Unfortunately, I am still having this problem....The two programs I run when it is in the cradle is Dockware pro and Spb Time. I do have Spb plus running too ...does anyone else have this problem?

Jason Dunn
04-26-2005, 04:43 PM
By default, both Dockware Pro and Spb Time run programs while docked, so you may have a conflict there. In Spb time you can disable the dock clock I believe.

ToddJ
04-26-2005, 08:06 PM
I know you can disable Spb time, but I don't want to...that is the whole reason why I got it. But I just don't understand why this locks up....it is frustrating...I believe I have the latest ROM update, but I am not certain. Does anyone else know what might be going on? I thought I read somewhere that anything that shows the amount of battery life left on the Today screen is usually the culrpit, but I am not sure if that is true (and if so, I would hate to lose that function.) any one else having this problem too?

Jason Dunn
04-26-2005, 09:24 PM
I know you can disable Spb time, but I don't want to...that is the whole reason why I got it.

Ok, dumb question from me then: why did you install Dockware as well? Don't they both do things in the cradle? In general having two applications that are trying to do the same thing is asking for trouble...hence my suggestion. :-) Try uninstalling Dockware then and see if that helps.

ToddJ
04-29-2005, 06:05 PM
I just like both as screensavers. Maybe there is a screensaver changer out there for Pocket PCs. I will try disabling Spb Time...(since I like to have my pictures being displayed.)

Jason Dunn
04-29-2005, 09:28 PM
I just like both as screensavers. Maybe there is a screensaver changer out there for Pocket PCs. I will try disabling Spb Time...(since I like to have my pictures being displayed.)

The problem is that the Pocket PC doesn't have a "screen saver selector" like Windows XP does. So what you have are two programs warring with each other.

Granted, this might have absolutey nothing to do with the hard reset problem...

ToddJ
05-04-2005, 01:52 PM
so i only have the one screensaver program running now (Dockware) and it is still locking up....argh! .this morning it was locked up and had vertical lines going on it....i had to take out the battery to restart it (the soft reset wouldn't work) and when I put it back it in it did a hard reset. This is so frustrating....

Jason Dunn
05-04-2005, 06:02 PM
Can you try running it for a day or two without ANY third party software installed? I have a feeling you may have a hardware problem, but the only way to be sure is to install nothing and see if it still locks up.

Patrick Y.
05-05-2005, 06:04 AM
My Acer n10 have the same problem too once in a while. It's not a big surprise for me since i loaded it with bunch of softwares. The screen just turns blank and sometimes with lines run across it. However, a soft-reset usually fixed the problem.

Maybe you should ask HP for support. I know very little about computers, but is it possible that some hardwares are damaged or else?