View Full Version : Proxy setting in Connection

isomaniac
01-20-2005, 04:07 PM
Proxy setting in Connection

I have a question about proxy setting.

I need to set proxy while in office but need to disable proxy while at home. So is there any NOT-SO-DUMB way to toggle the ON/OFF of proxy WITHOUT going all the trouble to tap "EDIT MY PROXY", tap "This connection use proxy" and key in the lengthy proxy URL/port everytime I need to use proxy; and tap "EDIT MY PROXY", tap "This connection use proxy" again to turn OFF the proxy?

Come on, there must be a smarter way to do this! Please please teach me!!

Thanks.

Menneisyys
01-20-2005, 04:12 PM

I need to set proxy while in office but need to disable proxy while at home. So is there any NOT-SO-DUMB way to toggle the ON/OFF of proxy WITHOUT going all the trouble to tap "EDIT MY PROXY", tap "This connection use proxy" and key in the lengthy proxy URL/port everytime I need to use proxy; and tap "EDIT MY PROXY", tap "This connection use proxy" again to turn OFF the proxy?

Thanks.

Unfortunately, the in-browser proxy setting (still present in PPC2k and all previous WinCE versions) was removed from PIE in PPC2k2 and was made generic so that not only PIE can take advantage of it. This is why you can't, for example, set it in PIE locally.

If, however, you use NetFront 3.1 (which is a considerably better browser overall than PIE in almost every respect), you can dynamically switch on and off its local HTTP proxy settings with some taps only, in the Tools / Browser options / Network / Proxy group. Much easier than going to Connections all the time.

isomaniac
01-20-2005, 05:04 PM

Thanks.

Unfortunately, the in-browser proxy setting (still present in PPC2k and all previous WinCE versions) was removed from PIE in PPC2k2 and was made generic so that not only PIE can take advantage of it. This is why you can't, for example, set it in PIE locally.

If, however, you use NetFront 3.1 (which is a considerably better browser overall than PIE in almost every respect), you can dynamically switch on and off its local HTTP proxy settings with some taps only, in the Tools / Browser options / Network / Proxy group. Much easier than going to Connections all the time.

Yes Netfront, in many areas, is better than PIE. But Netfront has problem to compose new email in Yahoo and Hotmail :( I use these frequently...