View Full Version : Anyone know how and where to download manual for MS PPC Excel?

MTHall47
01-20-2005, 02:50 PM
Never learned the original Excel and now would like to quickly get
up to speed on the Pocket PC Excel.

Thanks for any advice.

Menneisyys
01-20-2005, 03:30 PM
Never learned the original Excel and now would like to quickly get
up to speed on the Pocket PC Excel.

Thanks for any advice.

Microsoft's own Pocket PC/Mobile Windows introduction only has some 4 pages on, for example, Excel functions (I've checked it in the MS WinCE 1.0 manual that came with my HP 320LX. Unfortunately, very few later machines have printed WinCE/PPC docs.). And, only 9 pages are devoted to Excel at all. So, you won't learn e.g. functions, only the basics of Excel.

Other (non-free) books (e.g., Derek Ball, Barry Shilmover: How to Do Everything with Your iPAQ Pocket PC; Frank McPherson: How To Do Everything with Your Pocket PC, 3rd Edition) don't spend more on Pocket Excel either.

That is, if you really want to learn all the available Excel functions, get a separate book on Excel. For the basics, however, Microsoft's own docs will suffice.

yankeejeep
01-20-2005, 04:07 PM
One big reason that there is so little on Pocket Excel is that it actually can do very little. It supports very few desktop Excel functions and format options. No VBA, macro, or chart support. It is just barely enough to be called a spreadsheet. In order to get real Excel support on a PPC, you will need to get a replacement app. I have found PlanMaker a very good device companion for my desktop Excel files, which it can handle in native format and has pretty complete functional equivalence.

Aside from the Help installed on your device, the brief coverage available in general PPC books is what you will find. Pocket Ecel has so little functionality, there is practically nothing to doument. And be aware that if any Excel file carries features unsupported by Pocket Excel, they will be stripped out when the file is converted for Pocket Excel use and they will not reappear when the file is sent back to your desktop machine.