View Full Version : Question for Microsoft MVPs

ADBrown
01-20-2005, 02:35 AM
While I was investigating the Microsoft--what should I call it, the Microsoft wing? Well, while I was perusing the MS area at CES, I got briefly waylaid by the MS MVP people, who asked me if I'd heard of their program, and when I responded in the affirmative started their spiel about 'valuable enthusiasts like you who donate their time...' or something like that. I don't remember the entire speech, as I politely disengaged myself and walked away--I have no interest in contracts that need to be signed in blood. :wink: I did get a somewhat nifty light-up yoyo, though.

The rest of it didn't occur to me until later--would they butter up just anybody, or did they recognize my name or company off my badge? I'm not familiar with the process after they've hooked you, so I have no idea. What say you?

Sven Johannsen
01-20-2005, 04:16 AM
They recognized your name and contributions. It would not just be MVP notice, but MS mobile device employee notice as well. The important thing to remember is the MVP award is for past performance, not in expectation of future contributions. The award does carry with it some perks, and some restrictions/responsibilities. I don't recall any blood letting, but maybe they have softened the initiation over the years, just as they did in the Boy Scouts.

Personnaly I was enormously flattered to have been counted among names that I new, respected, and admired, such as Jason Dunn, Dale Coffing, Brad Adrian, Ed hansberry, to name a few. Still not sure how I measured up. I can see why they approached you.

ADBrown
01-20-2005, 05:11 AM
They recognized your name and contributions. It would not just be MVP notice, but MS mobile device employee notice as well.

Wow.

The important thing to remember is the MVP award is for past performance, not in expectation of future contributions. The award does carry with it some perks, and some restrictions/responsibilities.

That's the thing that gives me pause--what kind of restrictions are involved?

I don't recall any blood letting, but maybe they have softened the initiation over the years, just as they did in the Boy Scouts.

Personnaly I was enormously flattered to have been counted among names that I new, respected, and admired, such as Jason Dunn, Dale Coffing, Brad Adrian, Ed hansberry, to name a few. Still not sure how I measured up.

Put that way, and as long as I don't have to sign in blood, I'm almost a little regretful that I brushed them off. :?

I can see why they approached you.

8O I had no idea anybody knew who I was. Or, to put it another way, I had no idea that I was anybody. :lol:

Janak Parekh
01-20-2005, 05:56 AM
The important thing to remember is the MVP award is for past performance, not in expectation of future contributions. The award does carry with it some perks, and some restrictions/responsibilities.
That's the thing that gives me pause--what kind of restrictions are involved?
It's up to the "candidate". One can accept the award, which includes a certificate, and sign nothing and walk away with no strings. Or one can sign an NDA and get more involved in the "process" -- feedback, early looks, etc.

8O I had no idea anybody knew who I was. Or, to put it another way, I had no idea that I was anybody. :lol:
Do you know if they were asking you to join the MVP program, or was it something else? In general an MVP wouldn't ask you to "join" -- a Microsoft employee would contact you, so I'm not quite sure what happened before you walked away. ;)

--janak

ADBrown
01-20-2005, 07:45 AM
It's up to the "candidate". One can accept the award, which includes a certificate, and sign nothing and walk away with no strings. Or one can sign an NDA and get more involved in the "process" -- feedback, early looks, etc.

Do you know if they were asking you to join the MVP program, or was it something else? In general an MVP wouldn't ask you to "join" -- a Microsoft employee would contact you, so I'm not quite sure what happened before you walked away. ;)

Neither am I. I was walking past the spot where the MS MVP layout was, and one of the two Microsoft employees there waylaid me. She asked me if I was aware of the MS MVP program was, and I said that yes, I'm aware of it. That's when she started the bit about how 'It's a program to recognize the contributions of valuable [enthusiasts or professionals... can't clearly remember which] like yourself who donate their time... ' I'm a little hazy on the exact wording--I was, after all, a little distracted being in the middle of umpteen thousand square feet of lights, noise, and toys--but that was the gist. She asked me whether that was something I would be interested in, and I said something to the effect that I knew when I was being buttered up. I figured they were trying to recruit for one of those PR deals where for the privledge of being MS' friend they get a veto over your news coverage of them, like HP does... didn't really start thinking about it until a bit later on. Anyway, I politely waved her off, though she offered a light-up yoyo, which I accepted.

Don't Panic!
01-20-2005, 03:51 PM
How come I didn't get a Yo-Yo? I want my Yo-Yo! Did it say MS MVP Program on it? I love that kind of stuff :lol: Well I guess not being at CES may have had something to do with it but still, Yo-Yo's are so cool.

Janak Parekh
01-20-2005, 04:29 PM
Neither am I. I was walking past the spot where the MS MVP layout was, and one of the two Microsoft employees there waylaid me. She asked me if I was aware of the MS MVP program was, and I said that yes, I'm aware of it. That's when she started the bit about how 'It's a program to recognize the contributions of valuable [enthusiasts or professionals... can't clearly remember which] like yourself who donate their time... '
I'm still not sure if she was recruiting you or just doing a PR thing to increase MVP's visibility. I really don't think they'd be awarding new MVPs at CES, based on the process I've seen.

Interesting stuff nevertheless. I'm sure if the opportunity happens again you'll report back. :)

--janak