View Full Version : SPB Pocket Plus -- Would it help me?? Why is it so popular I wonder?

MTHall47
01-20-2005, 12:55 AM
I've noticed a whole lot of people out there have pocket plus.

I am not exactly sure what all it does. Wondering if it would help me.

Here is what I have on my Dell Axim X5

Agenda Fusion
Pocket Breeze
MemMaid
Pocket Mechanic

Pat Logsdon
01-20-2005, 02:30 AM
Pocket Plus does several very useful things. First of all, it allows the usage of tabs on the today screen, which is great if you have a lot of stuff that you want to access easily. Second, it includes lots of neat meters for battery power, RAM, ROM, storage cards, etc. Thirdly, it can turn the "X" button into an ACTUAL close button, rather than just minimizing the application in question. It also lets you open multipe Pocket Internet explorer windows, and a bunch of other cool stuff that I can't remember right now.

OSUKid7
01-20-2005, 05:37 AM
It does all of this. (http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/products/pocketplus/tour.html?en) :D

Ecks
01-20-2005, 07:41 AM
well put...:-)

Menneisyys
01-20-2005, 08:16 AM
Compared to the competition (the latest PIEPlus and MultiIE versions), Spb Pocket Plus has the most efficient memory handling / screen eastate saving algorithm in PIE. MultiIE has 1 Mbytes of overhead with every opened PIE instance; Pocket Plus only a few kbytes.

Furthermore, a lot of other plug-ins poll the free memory size/battery absolutely unnecessarily - that is, when they aren't at all visible. PP is certainly better in this respect too. And, with USB hosted hard disks, it's prolly the only app that works together because it doesn't poll drives you don't excplicitly ask/configure. Some other Today plug-ins do this, therefore rendering USB hard disk usage impossible, because of the constant size polling.

Spb has always produced high-quality programs - PP is one of them.

Sven Johannsen
01-20-2005, 04:17 PM
I'd buy it for just the battery bar that is visible at the top of the screen. You can keep tabs on battery level regardless of which program you are in (assuming it is not taking over the whole screen). Great for browsing sessions with WiFi on.

shawnc
01-20-2005, 05:58 PM
I'd buy it for just the battery bar that is visible at the top of the screen. You can keep tabs on battery level regardless of which program you are in (assuming it is not taking over the whole screen). Great for browsing sessions with WiFi on.

When I first saw this I thought it was the single most useless feature ever. Now I can't imagine NOT having it. I have even removed the battery indicator from my home screen (too cluttered as it is). This is really a very innovative and useful feature.

applejosh
01-20-2005, 07:38 PM
When I first saw this I thought it was the single most useless feature ever. Now I can't imagine NOT having it.

Ditto. I just saw it as a nuisance. But then I started wifi-ing and such, and it's convenient as heck. That coupled with the repeating alarm feature makes it worth every penny to me so far.

terrypin
01-21-2005, 11:45 AM
It does all of this. (http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/products/pocketplus/tour.html?en) :D

I'm an enthusisatic long term user of it too. But it's interesting that those screenshots they've chosen all illustrate one of my gripes: the 'indicator' icons are all too large.

There's no way I would allow Spb PP to take up that much space on my valuable Today Screen. It's as if they've overlooked the reality that there are other items and plug-ins most users want too!

I display just the tabs followed by one row of launch shortcuts, all small. Unfortunately I cannot include any indicator programs in the list, because of their size. So far I've had no explanation from Spb as to why they were designed like that.

Favourite features: Repeating alarm, battery indicator, slash close.

BTW, I'm still considering removing the launch bar completely. I reckon I could live without it. Once I get to 2 or more rows of launch icons (which then display as a wasted blank row even for tabs with a single row), I start resenting the space taken. And how hard is it really (for those that aren't immediately available under Start) to click Programs and then scroll amongst a clear display of easily visible icons, with text labels, to launch your choice?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Using iPAQ 2210 with WM2003.

OSUKid7
01-21-2005, 12:03 PM
I'm an enthusisatic long term user of it too. But it's interesting that those screenshots they've chosen all illustrate one of my gripes: the 'indicator' icons are all too large.
Check out some other extended themes. (http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/products/pocketplus/themes.html?en) Many have smaller indicator icons.

Darius Wey
01-22-2005, 03:51 AM
Check out some other extended themes. (http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/products/pocketplus/themes.html?en) Many have smaller indicator icons.

In addition, if you're interested in creating your own, you can acquire Microsoft Theme Generator and use the Spb Extended Theme Generator add-on. Both are freeware.

ipaq1940
01-22-2005, 08:30 PM
I bought pocketplus, and am very pleased with it. It allows you to see all your contacts, appointments and tasks at a glance without opning any of those apps. Definatly get it!

OSUKid7
01-22-2005, 08:39 PM
I bought pocketplus, and am very pleased with it. It allows you to see all your contacts, appointments and tasks at a glance without opning any of those apps. Definatly get it!
What do you mean? Are you refering to those items on the today screen? Those aren't provided by Spb Pocket Plus.

Sven Johannsen
01-22-2005, 10:13 PM
What do you mean? Are you refering to those items on the today screen? Those aren't provided by Spb Pocket Plus.

That sounds more like Pocket Breeze...and get that too.