View Full Version : Mobile Device Folder is Empty

J0HN1X
01-19-2005, 11:53 PM
Any suggestion on how I might get my Jornada 728 to show the content of the Mobile Device folder during activesyn? Activesyn works find via USB or serial. A communication services error message keep popping up and asks me to reset the unit. Of course, resetting does not work. Thanks for any ideas.

Darius Wey
01-22-2005, 03:09 AM
Have you tried this on another computer and seeing if the problem is reproduced?

J0HN1X
01-22-2005, 03:30 PM
I don't have another computer on which to try it. Thanks.

Menneisyys
01-22-2005, 03:48 PM
Any suggestion on how I might get my Jornada 728 to show the content of the Mobile Device folder during activesyn?

*grabbing his j680* What exactly do you mean by that? What are you trying to accomplish?

J0HN1X
01-22-2005, 10:56 PM
Menneisyys wrote:What exactly do you mean by that? What are you trying to accomplish?
Thanks for your response. I am trying to ActiveSync via Wi-Fi (faster). I want to have the flexibility to manipilate (cut, copy, paste, move, or transfer) files between the Jornada and the desktop PC; I would do these via the Mobile Device folder window.

Could you tell me how to post my detail configuration outline (from Word) so that it would be clear? When I post it, the nesting paragraphs are lost. How do I paste a bitmap image? Thanks.

Menneisyys
01-22-2005, 11:16 PM
Menneisyys wrote:What exactly do you mean by that? What are you trying to accomplish?
Thanks for your response. I am trying to ActiveSync via Wi-Fi (faster). I want to have the flexibility to manipilate (cut, copy, paste, move, or transfer) files between the Jornada and the desktop PC; I would do these via the Mobile Device folder window.

Could you tell me how to post my detail configuration outline (from Word) so that it would be clear? When I post it, the nesting paragraphs are lost. How do I paste a bitmap image? Thanks.

Using the Total Commander WinCE File System plug-in, can you see anything? Or, is there ActiveSync connection at all?

Prolly the best way to post formatted stuff here is putting it on your homepage exported into HTML and only posting the link here.

J0HN1X
01-23-2005, 12:47 AM
Menneisyys wrote:
Using the Total Commander WinCE File System plug-in, can you see anything?
I am not familiar with the Total Commander WinCE File System plug-in.
Or, is there ActiveSync connection at all?
I could ActiveSync via the USB and docking cradle.
..the best way to post formatted stuff here is putting it on your homepage exported into HTML and only posting the link here.
Unfortunately, I don't have a web site or homepage.

Here are the detail 12 steps of my configuration. Step #11 has nesting format which would probably be easier to see if you copy to Word and format it. My problem is with steps #5 and #11(B, II, 3, a, 1). On the PC Connections tab, there is no option for Wi-Fi. I hope that you can follow these steps.

1. Downloaded and Installed ActiveSync 3.7.1 (also tried 3.8 because of Mobile Device window issue – see step #5).
2. Connected to desktop via USB, using docking cradle.
3. Established a Partnership.
4. Synchronized the information between desktop and Jornada.
5. ActiveSync Explore opens Mobile Device windows but its contents are not listed and the following error message after 30 seconds: (Problem #1)
---------------------------
Failed to Start Remote Services
Critical communications services have failed to start. Try resetting the mobile device, and then connect again.
OK
6. Disconnected Jornada from desktop; soft reset a few times; still cannot ActiveSync; did not try factory reset.
7. Disconnected Jornada from desktop.
8. Downloaded WinXP Orinoco card driver from http://www.moonblinkwifi.com/pd_orinoco_wireless.cfm (card is picture there). Did not try driver from http://www.proxim.com/support/software/ORiNOCO/Drivers/W02updweb+USB.exe
9. Installed driver from WinCE300 folder onto desktop.
10. Established Partnership via USB and docking cradle.
11. Jornada 728
A. Network Configuration window
I. Adapters tab
1. Selected Orinoco Wireless
2. Properties | IP Address tab | Obtain an IP address via DHCP selected
3. Properties | Name Servers tab | (left blank)
II. Identification tab
1. User name (left blank)
2. Password (came with a sticky password, which cannot be deleted)
3. Domain (left blank) (Note: I am on a workgroup)
B. Communications Properties window
I. Device Name tab
1. Device name: Jornada
2. Device description: 728
II. PC Connection tab
1. Check in box next to: Allow connection with desktop … attached.
2. Below the check box it says, “Connect using ‘USB Connection’
3. <Change…> button
a. Change Connection window
1. Dropdown arrow only choices are: Infrared, Serial, and USB. USB is selected. (Problem #2; client manager problem?)
C. Wireless Network | Add/Edit Configuration Profile window
I. Select Profile: Default
II. <Edit> button
1. Settings window
a. Profile Name: Default
b. Network Type: Access Point
c. <Next> button
1. Network Name: S0Ig1e (note: this is same as the SSID)
a) <Next> button
1) Settings window
1. Check box: “Enable Data Security”
2. Selected: Hexadecimal
3. Key 3: 37BC9A0A23
4. <Next> button | Card Power Management has “off” selected.
12. Card inserted.
A. Internet accessed readily.
B. Can not ActiveSync. (?????)

Using Linksys WRK54G Wi-Fi router, ZoneAlarm Pro, and Norton Antivirus.

J0HN1X
01-24-2005, 02:36 PM
I did a hard reset and reinstalled the ActiveSync and the card driver; that solve the problem.

A careful re-reading of the manual suggested a hard reset. It also said I need to use WEP key #1 because I was not using one of the cards for which the unit has a built-in driver.