View Full Version : help on Rom update for h5555...is reinstall of all software needed I lost original downloads

richiedd
01-19-2005, 10:32 PM
Hi,
this is posted in brightand too.
I have been plowing thru the rom update messages to try to sort this out. My h5555 is at rom 1.00.10. All seems to work fine, but I was thinking of updating as I have a bluetooth gps on order due in next week.
The rub is do I have to reinstall ALL of my software from scratch? I had a pc system crash last year and lost a lot of install files from online purchase/downloads...I rely on my ppc backups to save my applications from demise. Can I reinstall without the original downloads somehow? I think I read that you can't do a restore?

thanks

Rich

WyattEarp
01-19-2005, 10:54 PM
If you used Sprite Backup (http://www.spritesoftware.com/products/sprite_backup_premium.html) there is an option for restoring to an upgraded device. If you used something else then you should start from scratch. I would suggest starting from scratch anyway no matter what program I am using. Just to be on the safe side.

richiedd
01-21-2005, 05:29 PM
thanks, I'll look into that further..but from a quick glance it seems that has problems too...I wonder if the clone feature will solve my problems.

thanks again

rich

johnnydigit3l
01-27-2005, 08:12 PM
i assume by saying software, you meen the os? if this is what you are asking, then no... the pocketpc 2003 software will stay when you do a rom upgrade. however, anything above and beyond factory installed software will be erased. also, any configuration or settings you have made will also be lost, and will need to be reconfigured/reinstalled. you can use the built-in ipaqbackup software on the ipaq, in additiont to the activesynce complete backup (i forget the exact name of the menu item)under the tools menu to save everything to a local computer for files and such. it is reccommended, however, that you do not use files or programs installed prior to the rom upgrade. so reinstalling things like spb pocketplus, astraware bejeweled, or your cisco drivers, will be recommend after the rom upgrade. i very much reccomend this upgrade in additions to any other upgrades to firmware for bluetooth and wifi connectivity, as overall system stability will greatly improve. just make sure you write down you previous configuration and setup so you dont forget. i know im always taking things off and putting things on my 5555, so its helpfull to have a personal base software list ready to go when your reconfiguring the device.