View Full Version : rx3700 problem.......maybe?

94hoe
01-19-2005, 05:02 PM
I’ve had my rx3700 for a couple weeks now and have had no problem with it until this weekend. Friday when i left work it was completely charged (left work at 5pm), i didn’t turn it on once till Tuesday morning (10am). When i turned it on it came up with the HP initialization screen. All my stuff was gone!

This is my 4th ipaq and I’ve never had this problem. Is this something I should return it for?? Or is this easily/cheaply fixed?

Menneisyys
01-19-2005, 06:28 PM
This is my 4th ipaq and I’ve never had this problem. Is this something I should return it for?? Or is this easily/cheaply fixed?

Are you sure you didn't have any appointments and/or you didn't run any program that would have kept the PPC alive after the usual housekeeping task-powerup at every midnight?

I don't think it's a defective unit. It WOULD be defective, however, if powering your RAM would totally run down your battery in so little time. Some defective devices (very rarely!) indeed have this problem.

Speaking of RAM power consumption, by how many % does your battery charge decrease in a night when the unit is switched off?

EDIT: fixes to English

Sven Johannsen
01-19-2005, 06:38 PM
When i turned it on it came up with the HP initialization screen. All my stuff was gone!

Bit of clarification. I assume it wasn't in a cradle or connected to power that whole time. When you turned it on, did it just come on and all your stuff was gone? Or did you need to charge it before it would even turn on? If it did come on without having to charge it, did you happen to check the battery level.

I'm trying to determine if it actually ran down, or if something else caused the unexpected hard reset. Most iPAQs will actually retain their data for a significant period, after the battery gets low enough that it won't turn on without applying power and charging for a while.

94hoe
01-19-2005, 08:15 PM
Are you sure you didn't have any appointments and/or you didn't run any program that would have kept the PPC alive after the usual housekeeping task-powerup at every midnight?

Yeah i had about 6 reminders, doesnt the unit turn off after a couple minutes even if there are reminders?

[Speaking of RAM power consumption, by how many % does your battery charge decrease in a night when the unit is switched off?

Not sure on this one either. I doesnt go down very much though. I normally charge it every other day. This ipaq by far has had the best battery life compared to my other ones.

94hoe
01-19-2005, 08:20 PM
Bit of clarification. I assume it wasn't in a cradle or connected to power that whole time.

Nope just setting on my headboard, unplugged.

When you turned it on, did it just come on and all your stuff was gone? Or did you need to charge it before it would even turn on? If it did come on without having to charge it, did you happen to check the battery level.

It came up how it does when you first get it. Where you have to tap the screen in all for corners, then do that cut and paste appointment thing. I didnt have to charge it for it to turn on. I brought it into work an hour or so later and put it on the charger, the battery level was at 16% (after being on the charger for about 5 minutes).

Sven Johannsen
01-19-2005, 08:50 PM
Strange then. Normally if it is a power problem, because something has drained the battery, you would have had to plug it in to even get it to turn on. Yes, it should turn itself off after a few minutes if an alarm wakes it up, based on how you have it set, of course. There are some potential culprits that can prevent this, notably Media Player in some states. Wireless coming on and connecting to something can cause issues too. Turn the radios off if you are not going to be using them. The rx3715 being a Media Companion, I expect you do avail yourself of it's media capability. Make sure you close all that stuff down if you are going to let it sit for a long period. A soft reset can accomplish that quickly, or use iTask, or get a third party task switcher.

I would also take this as a hint to think about a backup/restore plan. It makes recovery much less painful. I don't think you have a serious issue. I have had PPCs do a spontaneous hard reset, though it is rare. I have heard of that happenning coincident with a drop, too. I would re-build it and see how it goes, being careful to close things down when you set it aside for a while.

94hoe
01-19-2005, 09:08 PM
Yeah i do a pretty good job of keeping my files backed up so it wasnt that big of a deal. Just had to reinstall some apps. I just dont want this to happen every weekend that i just let it set there.

Sven Johannsen
01-20-2005, 04:23 AM
Do you have any battery monitor on the today screen that would make it easy to just flp it on now and again over the weekend, just to make sure it is not losing charge rapidly for some reason? I love the top battery bar that SPB Plus provides, as it is there no matter what screen you are on. The other option is to plug it in when you are not going to use it for several days. Doesn't hurt a thing.

94hoe
02-07-2005, 04:54 PM
Well it happened again. Left it at work for the weekend came in this morning and its Completely dead. This sucks! Is this something a rom update would fix or do you guys just think i have a setting wrong somewhere.

yankeejeep
02-07-2005, 05:39 PM
Do you use a wireless network at work to connect to the internet or for syncing? Does it carry out email checks or sync tasks automatically throughout the day when you're at your office? If that is the case, you may have a setting in ActiveSync or an Inbox account that is turning on your wifi to carry out the automatic tasks. You need to remember that even when a PPC is off, it is still running at a low level in order to give alarms and reminders and carry out its assigned automated tasks. Even if it is only switching on wifi and screen for a few minutes every time, these are two of the big power consumers and doing this cycle enough times in two or three days could drain your battery.

94hoe
02-07-2005, 05:48 PM
Do you use a wireless network at work to connect to the internet or for syncing? Does it carry out email checks or sync tasks automatically throughout the day when you're at your office? If that is the case, you may have a setting in ActiveSync or an Inbox account that is turning on your wifi to carry out the automatic tasks. You need to remember that even when a PPC is off, it is still running at a low level in order to give alarms and reminders and carry out its assigned automated tasks. Even if it is only switching on wifi and screen for a few minutes every time, these are two of the big power consumers and doing this cycle enough times in two or three days could drain your battery.

Yeah i have a wireless conntection here at work but i dont have any email checks or synch tasks setup. I had four reminders set for this weekend, but that shouldnt drain the battery.