View Full Version : iPAQ 6300 Series Carrier Deployment Rumours

Jason Dunn
01-19-2005, 07:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.ipaqabilities.com/iaforums/viewtopic.php?t=502' target='_blank'>http://www.ipaqabilities.com/iaforu...topic.php?t=502</a><br /><br /></div><i>"We've heard some interesting rumours lately surrounding the H6300 series iPAQ Pocket PC from some reliable sources...Cingular is on the verge of releasing the H6300 series in the U.S. (H6320 - no camera, and H6325 with camera). Although we had heard that it was tentatively set for release in mid-January, it is appears that its launch could be delayed. Rogers Wireless is also in the process of certifying a model of the H6300 series on its network. Pending the success of the network certification, they would be releasing a yet to be named model of the H6300 series with and without the camera..."</i><br /><br />Marc over at iPAQabilities has posted rumours about Cingular (in the US) and Rogers AT&amp;T (in Canada) carrying the iPAQ 6300 series Pocket PCs. I've heard similar rumours about Rogers in Canada, so I suspect these are both true. Given the number of complaints I heard at CES from 6315 owners, I'm not sure how warmly to greet this news. :?

alabij
01-19-2005, 07:07 AM
I've got the H6315 and I'm shocked any other carrier apart from T-Mobile is willing to carry this device. With all the HTC phones out there why?

Vincent M Ferrari
01-19-2005, 01:25 PM
Wihtout naming the company I work for directly, I can truthfully say that the 6315 has proven, at least for us, to be quite a dud. Some of us in the office have taken to calling it the boomerang phone. We try to send them out to dealers, but they always come back.

HP really hurt their rep with the 6315.

dbrahms
01-19-2005, 02:32 PM
agreed - unless they know of a major fix that will solve all of the problems with this unit, these new carriers are just asking for unhappy customers. The 6315 was my first pocket pc phone and I'm quite upset about it. I've owned 5 other PPC's since the casio e-125 and my ipaq 6315 is a dud. My biggest gripe aside from constant lock ups ----- I miss calls - the ipaq struggles to complete the processing tasks necessary to make the phone ring. The caller feels as if the phone is ringing and ringing although to the receiver (me), the phone rings once and then hangs up.

Phillip Dyson
01-19-2005, 02:37 PM
I think that the other carriers are fooled by the reception that the 6300 originally got by T-Mobile.

They didn't take into account that at that time, there were not true alternatives for the general public.

I nearly had a palm/mac enthusiast converted to Windows Mobile. But without talking to me, he went out and purchased the 6300. Now its sitting on his shelf waiting to be sold. He went back to his T3 and v600 combo.

I look at it as a lost oppurtunity. :cry:

Vincent M Ferrari
01-19-2005, 03:33 PM
It amazes me that with this many unhappy customers T-Mobile is still pushing this phone, and HP hasn't pulled it to save their rep.

Don't these companies hear the complaints of their users? Well, maybe not, actually.

We have some Dell printers in the office. Whenever we call Dell to tell them something's wrong, we hear the same company line, "We haven't heard anything being wrong." To put that in perspective, we also have 30+ retail stores, half of them with Dell printers, and every one of them have been replaced at least once.

Back to HP. It's a tough balance. Do they hear the problem? Probably. Do they care? Probably not.

Paragon
01-19-2005, 03:42 PM
I've heard the rumors of Rogers releasing the 6300 Ipaq from 2-3 sources. I've also heard they are going to carry the SX66 and maybe even before the Ipaq. Now add to that the fact that Bell Mobility are very close to releasing the Harrier it may just be that the frozen, barren, waste land of Canada is thawing a bit. ;)

Dave

whydidnt
01-19-2005, 10:25 PM
I've got the H6315 and I'm shocked any other carrier apart from T-Mobile is willing to carry this device. With all the HTC phones out there why?

To quote the famous MEATLOAF - "You took the words right out of my mouth". :devilboy:

Why would Cingular, Rogers, etc even consider taking on the responsibilities of supporting this rotting, festering pile of dog dung?

The phone has been out for nearly 6 months now and still not a peep out of HP or TMobile about fixing it. Those of you excited about the Mpx should take note, since it too features a slow processor and even has less RAM.

bdegroodt
01-20-2005, 12:45 AM
Don't these companies hear the complaints of their users? Well, maybe not, actually.
Sadly, I can speak to this personally. After returning my 4th 6315, I became overly curious as to why the TM reps never really understood what was "wrong" with the phone. They'd just take it from me, go to the locker and grab a new one without making any notes about the issues the replaced unit had. So I asked how HP finds out what was wrong with the phone. Silly me, I thought there was some sort of DB that the problem was entered into. Wrong. Store rep tells me the just send them back as "defective" and that's that. How's that for filed feedback? For all we know HP thinks these things are the greatest thing ever to come out of their factory. Especially when they look at the number of units that are being deployed--just ignore the column on the right that shows how many come back. I sure hope the TM reps I dealt with were just unfamiliar with the return process, but I suspect not.

Paul P
01-20-2005, 02:38 AM
It's hard for me to believe that HP doesn't know about these problems. They clearly sunk a huge chunk of cash into the unit and are now simply willing to take a hit to their reputation rather than acknowledging fault (and potentially face an even bigger loss). I actually expected HP to quitely phase the unit out....sort of like pleading guilty and at the same time admitting no wrong doing. :roll:

Vincent M Ferrari
01-20-2005, 05:03 AM
I sure hope the TM reps I dealt with were just unfamiliar with the return process, but I suspect not.

Not to devastate you, but they're exactly right. The phones go back to the manufacturer who refurbishes them after a diagnosis, reboxes them, and then sells them as either A or B refurb stock.

There isn't a system to report glitches or bugs because it's not cost-effective to maintain one.

ctmagnus
01-20-2005, 07:11 AM
The phones go back to the manufacturer who refurbishes them after a diagnosis, reboxes them, and then sells them as either A or B refurb stock.

So, is A stock or B stock in better condition?

Vincent M Ferrari
01-20-2005, 01:23 PM
A generally means that the stock has the original packing materials and box and you basically can't tell it's a refurb except for a sticker by the IMEI / ESN label.

B generally means that the stock has no packing materials and that the original box is destroyed. They may or may not have manuals included with them. These are sometimes referred to as "white-box" stock.

Ainvar
01-22-2005, 05:37 AM
AFter going through 6 units of this horrible horrible horrible device I actually went with the Blackberry 7100t. I know it is not a ppc and I dearly miss my ppc but hey it is a solid performer and rarely no lockups, good rf and decent batterylife. Now if only HP would look at how BB does it and make a good ppc so I can have my faith restored.

If only buying a ppc that is unlocked held its worth and benefit for me I may look at something from over in europe to use here. But I am tired of smartphones and I want my touchscreen back!

fmcpherson
01-24-2005, 09:25 PM
Well, perhaps HP is working with the carriers to release an upgrade to the software that addresses some of the problems. Also, keep in mind that some of the software on the 6300 series is done by the carrier and not Microsoft or HP. I think the bulk of the problems with my T-Mobile 6300 has to do with the radio software, which I am pretty sure T-Mobile did and corresponding screwed up. So, there may be hope that Cingular has done a better job and you won't see the same type of problems.