View Full Version : HP v. Dell on price

janovetz
01-19-2005, 12:26 AM
Hello-

I've been looking at a few models for my first PocketPC. It seems that the iPAQ and now the Axim are leading the pack. However, I also see that HP charges considerably more for a comparably equipped device at Dell.

Why the large disparity? I'm comparing street prices (Buy.com prices for the HP and avg recent prices for the Dell on their page with any common coupons/discounts in effect). Am I missing an obvious source for the HPs at more reasonable prices?

My choices are down to:

+ Axim x50v $380-$400
+ HP hx4700 $642 (although the stupid touchpad is a strong deterrent)
+ Axim x50 $340
+ HP hx2750 $512
+ HP hx2410 $428

I'll never game. Mostly PIM apps and MP3s. I'd like the CF for possible USB hosting.

Cheers,
Jake

kozak
01-19-2005, 12:35 AM
X50v is the best choice in my opinion. It's cheap, and offers the same features as the $250 more HP. Plus, dell has an attachment for the X50v for USB hosting. Oh, and if you need it for MP3, the HP Bluetooth Headphones and the soon to be released Toshiba ones will work wit it.

Also, X50v is the best PPC to watch movies from currently. With Betaplayer being optimized for it's graphics chip, I was watching a 1.5 gig divx movie without dropping a single frame. It was amazing.

ADBrown
01-19-2005, 01:24 AM
No, you're not missing a more reasonable source for the iPaqs. HP charges a large premium for the iPaq name, since they're considered to be the 'original' PocketPC. (Although they aren't, and they aren't even made by the same company any more.) I'd go with the Axim.

By the way, just a note to correct something kozak said, the attachment Dell sells is for VGA output to a monitor or projector, not USB Host.

joncampi
01-19-2005, 01:53 AM
jan,
i am in the same place right now with regards to the hp vs dell thing and more specifically between the hp hx4700 and axim x50v. the best cost difference i can find after i beat down the sellers is about $140 or so. initially i was heart-set on an hp because i thought it looked cool and was "hot". after a more thorough examination the only thing that i thought hp really had over dell was the battery strength and lifetime. subsequently, after looking at the two from every other conceivable angle, it seems that the axim is not just a better value, but a better device. let me know what you find. :D
jon

janovetz
01-19-2005, 02:40 AM
joncampi-

I'm finding the same, really. I'm not a big Dell fan. In my experience, their laptops are quite inferior to Compaq's and I somewhat expected the same in the PPC market. My Compaq x1000 has been bulletproof for over a year. But after some research, it seems that the Axim is designed by the same company that designed the original iPaqs, so perhaps Dell is doing something right on this one.

Afterall, each product will have a very different engineering team, so I shouldn't discard Dell from one product line.

I'll probably get the Axim. Question now is x50v or x50. VGA wouldn't be so bad, but the opinion now seems that the VGA slows it down more than the extra 100 MHz speeds it up.

MROX
01-19-2005, 04:12 AM
If $ is an issue for you (like many of us I hope :wink: )

Don't forget that you probably will be looking for some other stuff....

Maybe a nice case. (you certainly don't want your toy to be hurt...)
Plus a few more meg storage. (Of curse that 256mg card is nice and cheap, but the 512meg would be so great. OH MY GOD!!! The 1gb got a 5$ mail rebate! GET IT!!!!!!!! QUICK!)
And certainly a few applications that you can't get for free. (C'mon! What is the use of a PPC without 2 or 3 good software. It"s only a few buck more... Do it! YOU NEED IT!!!!)
It's wireless? Easy, get a GPS. (Do you really don't want your collegue to laugh at you because you got lost with a totaly useless PPC in your hand??? You really need that super Tomtom bluetooth GPS. I'm telling you!)
And so on...
And so on...

Think about it! :wink:

P.S. Did I told you the story of the guy who didn't bought the wire care kit...
:rotfl:

:microwave:

jimski
01-19-2005, 07:20 AM
Don't want to influence you but, dont forget the following differences in the hx4700:
-Magnesium Body - (really nice to hold)
-4" Screen - (Priceless)
-Pocket Informant included ($29.95 value)
-ClearVue Suite included ($29.95 value)
-1800 mAh Battery (nice to have more power)
-Built-In Flip Cover (finally!)
-Auto Adapter ($18.00 value-currently being included)

So while you may be paying something for the iPAQ name, its not $200. But ultimately, the choice is yours. I am sure you will enjoy whatever you wind up with.

joncampi
01-19-2005, 10:57 AM
i meant to ask the group, is there any difference between these two devices (hx4700 and hx4705)? why the different numbers? and in some cases, why the different prices?
thanks
jon

janovetz
01-19-2005, 10:44 PM
I didn't know about the magnesium body. That's a nice advantage. Although I really don't think I'd like that stupid touch pad.

The suffix (4705 v. 4700) is typically the distribution channel. 05 means "small business", 00 means "home". As far as I know, they are identical devices.

Jake

TMann
01-20-2005, 07:28 AM
I'm not a big Dell fan. In my experience, their laptops are quite inferior to Compaq's and I somewhat expected the same in the PPC market. My Compaq x1000 has been bulletproof for over a year. But after some research, it seems that the Axim is designed by the same company that designed the original iPaqs, so perhaps Dell is doing something right on this one.

Afterall, each product will have a very different engineering team, so I shouldn't discard Dell from one product line.

Janovetz,

I recently bought my first Dell product, an x50v and I don't think that you need to worry about the build quality of this PDA. It is easily the equal of any of the Palm or Sony PDA's that I've owned. I've had mine for about a month and it has been working great, (once I updated to the latest version of my software.)

The Dell is by far the least expensive of the current crop of VGA PDA's. It's fast, has dual-wirelesls capability, and is reasonably compact. I've been very happy with mine. :D

TMann

Lukas44
01-25-2005, 06:49 AM
Add a $200 RAM upgrade to bring the Dell closer to perfection!
http://www.pocketpctechs.com/Services.asp?type=DELX50V

:idea:

janovetz
01-25-2005, 03:45 PM
Thanks all for the input. I finally found an hx4700 locally so I stopped by to try it out. Since I don't play games, the touchpad didn't bother me nearly as much as I thought it would. I'll never use it as a mouse cursor, but as a directional pad, it isn't so bad.

I liked how the design doesn't have any protruding buttons. The shortcut buttons have a tactile feel. The larger screen was definitely nice, and the magnesium case is great.

I'm sure I would have been happy either way.

Jake

MROX
01-25-2005, 09:19 PM
... I finally found an hx4700 locally...

Just for fun. What the h*** is the name of that local store???
I wish I could have feel that HX4700 before I bought my X50v. (Even if I'm not disapointed by it.)

Hrun
01-25-2005, 11:31 PM
Any reason why you passed over the Ipaq rx3715?

I chose this over both you options as it seemed the most feature packed and it is awesome :)

Giles

janovetz
01-25-2005, 11:31 PM
Office Depot

janovetz
01-25-2005, 11:33 PM
Slower processor, smaller display, no CF, and a camera that I'll never use.

Hrun
01-25-2005, 11:42 PM
Slower processor, smaller display, no CF, and a camera that I'll never use.

Fair nuff :)

Your answer made me smile anyhow

acollet
01-27-2005, 10:44 PM
I was going to go for the "HP Name" as all my other ppc's have been HP.. I just couldn't justify the additional cost of the 4705 vs x50v. Not to mention Dell includes, for free, advance replacement for 1 year if there are any problems. My x50v started displaying vertical lines at power-on wihch would disappear immediately and didn't seem to cause any problems. I didn't like it and e-mailed dell on Monday. w/ NO questions asked, I had a replacement unit by Friday the same week. I gotta tell ya.. I am now sold on Dell. I really liek the x50v