View Full Version : Update: SanDisk 2 GB SD Card

Len M.
01-18-2005, 03:12 AM
SanDisk's press releases at some recent shows said that they would release their new 2 GB SD flash memory card in late November. We ordered a 2 GB SD card at the beginning of December and have been waiting ever since.

I wrote SanDisk's customer support asking when they expect to release the 2 GB SD card. They responded:

We will do a limited release in the next 4 weeks. We will post a list on our website with the devices that will be able to use the 2GB SD card. Many devices currently on the market will NOT be able to use it and we recomend checking the list before purchase

I wonder what "limited release" means? And I wonder whether the problems of using it with "many devices" lie with those devices or the SD card?

Len Moskowitz
Core Sound
www.core-sound.com
Home of PDAudio

Jonathon Watkins
01-18-2005, 04:00 AM
I wonder what "limited release" means? And I wonder whether the problems of using it with "many devices" lie with those devices or the SD card?

Good questions. Do let us know if you hear any answers. :)

yslee
01-18-2005, 05:28 AM
IIRC, SD cards just contain the memory (and a few other things), unlike CompactFlash, which also house the memory controller. Therefore there's a good chance that some devices won't have the necessary controller to recognise the 2 gb on the new card. CF's main problem is in whether the device supports the FAT32 file system to break the 2gb barrier.

Wiggster
01-18-2005, 07:56 AM
I'm wondering if the 2 GB card will be SDIO instead of SD, which might cause problems for some other cards. I'm not sure why a memory card would be SDIO, but I heard rumors about such a thing in the past...