View Full Version : internet without data contract

tuuf
01-18-2005, 12:18 AM
I have an ipaq 1945 and a motorola v600 phone both with bluetooth. I have a 800 phone# that I use to access the internet with my laptop when I travel. Is it possible to call this number with my cellphone and access the internet with my PDA?? The T-mobile rep said NO --- I need to buy the data service contract and only use there call in number.

Please assist me with this problem

thanks,

mike

Shaun Stuart
01-18-2005, 12:32 AM
Yes this should be possible.

You need to set up your PPC to connect to the internet (Go to start, settings, connections and add your ISP and the correct phone number to dial - you will need to choose how to connect and there should be an option to use a bluetooth modem as connection method).

If you havent done so already you will then need to pair the devices using the bluetooth setup software on the PPC (put the phone in discovery mode and do a search for new devices on the PPC to connect)

Once you have done this make sure the devices are connected - when you start up Pocket Internet Explorer it should dial the number over bluetooth on your phone.

sorry I cant be more specific but its difficult to know the exact menus to access without both devices in front of me. I used to use this method on my ipaq 3700 series and a sony ericcson phone.

gapfilmvideo
01-19-2005, 04:55 PM
shaun
i used to do this with my ipaq2215 and moto v600.....having problems now that I switched to moto mpx220.....shouldn't this still be possible?...have you heard anything along the lines of either Moto(design/flaw) or Cingular(service) blocking this feature...I also would prefer to dial up Earthlink and use minutes instead of kb charge....

Cybrid
01-19-2005, 07:10 PM
see if your provider gives you CDPD access on a "per minute" rate?
Basically with Telus' in Canada I can get data access added onto my phone for five buck plus "per minute " charge on the CDPD networks which is 14.4 Kbps. I know it's slow but works if you need thin client access.

Deemo
01-25-2005, 06:02 AM
I have an ipaq 1945 and a motorola v600 phone both with bluetooth. I have a 800 phone# that I use to access the internet with my laptop when I travel. Is it possible to call this number with my cellphone and access the internet with my PDA?? The T-mobile rep said NO --- I need to buy the data service contract and only use there call in number.

Please assist me with this problem
thanks,

mike
Darn right you should be able to!
There are three methods:
1. Dial up your own ISP.
2. Use a high speed data account (GPRS or CDMA 1X)
3. Use the connection Cybrid refers to commonly called QNC as that is usually the Login and password on 1X.

Just set up the DUN as you would on your PC and give it a shot.

Good luck

Wildchild121007
01-25-2005, 01:03 PM
Are there any isps thats are local rate number?

So i could dial the ip and use my free exclusive minutes with my monthy contract.