View Full Version : No PPC 2003 Emulator in VS .NET

Amelia
01-17-2005, 04:45 PM
I tried to install Active Sync, VS .NET 2003, and also PPC 2003 SDK.
When I go to "Tools|Connect To Device..." in VS .NET, there is no any choice for me to choose PPC2003

emulator. The only emulator I have is PPC 2002 Emulator.

I tried to uninstall and reinstall many times alr, but no use.

OS that I use is Windows XP.
Anyone got idea that what's my computer prob?
Or is there any other ways for me to test my application which is developed in VB .NET???

I did try to check the way to use "Folder Sharing", but seems I can't find it. :(

Anyone please help me?
Thanks

GSmith
01-17-2005, 06:02 PM
The emulator images and SDKs are separate downloads. See:

There are separate downloads for all variations of:
2002, 2003, Pocket PC, Smartphone, Pocket PC WM2003 SE.

SDK for Windows Mobile 2003-based Pocket PCs
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/downloads/list/pocket2003.asp

A lot more information:

Windows Mobile Developer Center
http://msdn.microsoft.com/mobility/windowsmobile/default.aspx

Amelia
01-18-2005, 07:46 AM
Thanks your help, GSmith. I already can run the PPC2003 emulator from VS .NET :)

Actually I did try to install the emulator images before, but was unsucessful (cannot load PPC2003 emulator)

After trying many times, I suspect that it's Windows SP2 problem. After uninstall a SP2 hotfix, it can be run!
Not sure whether is it cause the problem.

NOW, I have an .exe file, I would like to run it in the emulator. May I know how to do?
Heard that there is something called FOLDER SHARING, but I couldn't find where is it.

Anyone can help me?
Thanks.

Wiggster
01-18-2005, 07:51 AM
Thanks your help, GSmith. I already can run the PPC2003 emulator from VS .NET :)

Actually I did try to install the emulator images before, but was unsucessful (cannot load PPC2003 emulator)

After trying many times, I suspect that it's Windows SP2 problem. After uninstall a SP2 hotfix, it can be run!
Not sure whether is it cause the problem.

NOW, I have an .exe file, I would like to run it in the emulator. May I know how to do?
Heard that there is something called FOLDER SHARING, but I couldn't find where is it.

Anyone can help me?
Thanks.

I believe that the emulator in Visual Studio can only run the code that's compiled and built from within Visual Studio; it's not a standalone emulator that you can load regular software on. It's a development tool you use to test your own code, not run other people's software. But I might be wrong.

GSmith
01-18-2005, 10:13 AM
You would need to establish an ActiveSync session with the emulator. This does not happen by default. I use the first method listed below. This first method requires Visual Studio and is a little flakey, requiring some reconnects and fails every once in a while, etc.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=74473fd6-1dcc-47aa-ab28-6a2b006edfe9&displaylang=en

I've never tried the following (which appears to not require Visual Studio):

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/devguidesp/html/sp_ppc_using_virtual_switch_with_activesync__zzrb.asp

This last article references the SmartPhone and a program run on the host/desktop called emuascfg. It may work with Pocket PC emulator, but I'm not sure. You'd have to hunt around or just try it. I would *suspect* that it does work.

Once you have an ActiveSync connection with the emulator, you can transfer CAB files. You want to pick CAB files or .exe files that are compiled for the x86. Generally there are two versions of CAB files generated by Visual Studio that are x86: *_PPC.WCE420X86.CAB, and *_PPC.X86.CAB. I don't recall off the top of my head which one you use. I'd guess the WCE420 version for the newer emulators. The directories on my development machine suggest that WCE420 is for PPC 2003, SP2003.

I've never tried installation to the emulator over ActiveSync using .MSI files. I don't see why it *wouldn't* work, but I just don't have experience there. I'd be afraid (probably falsely) of polluting my desktop with various installations of programs that I experiment with on various emulators. I generally use Guest Partnerships.

Hope this helps!