View Full Version : HELP: Suddenly cant uninstall PPC program

lanwarrior
01-17-2005, 12:48 AM
I went to the "Add or Remove programs" applet in Control Panel and I tried to remove Microsoft Pocket Street, but the "Remove" button has disappeared! Furthermore, even the ActiveSync or ANY other PocketPC application is no longer listed in the "Add or Remove Programs".

So basically, I am unable to perform uninstallation of these programs. I am not sure what I did, but I have ran Spybot, Spyware Blaster, NAV, CWShredder to check for any virus or Spyware, and nothing came up.

Does anyone know why did this happened suddenly?

BTW, I am running Windows XP SP2.

Thanks.

Darius Wey
01-17-2005, 06:22 AM
Try this:

Start > Run, then type in gpedit.msc and hit OK.

Navigate to User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs.

Check to make sure Remove Add or Remove Programs, Remove Add or Remove Programs page, Hide Add New Programs, and Hide Add/Remove Windows Components page are all set to Disabled or Not Configured. If that still doesn't solve anything, let us know.

lanwarrior
01-17-2005, 07:03 AM
Hi Darius,

I tried that before, but still not solve the problem. The scary thing that I just foudn out is that this problem now affect my OTHER computer at home, a Windows 2000 Prof. laptop! So now I have both WinXP and Win2K system where I can't uninstall any program or even see the program that were previously instaleld.

I was thinking that this is PROBABLY caused by a spyware, antivirus or some malicious program that not even AdWare, Spybot, or NAV can catch it. I turned the registry upside and down and found that there is a program that is always started (not from Startup folder) called "a.exe". I removed that, delete the file, but no dice. However, I don't know if this is the root cause I am having this issue.

To Admin,

This thread may not apply to "HP iPAQ Pocket PCs" topic anymore, so feel free to move it to another thread if you wish.