View Full Version : SuperCalendar version 3.0 just release by ScaryBear Software

scarybear
01-16-2005, 06:05 AM
ScaryBear Software has just released SuperCalendar Version 3.0 . This release has numerous updates, some of which include:
Using an entirely new user-interface for editing appointments
Application is now optimized for the new hi-res VGA screen devices (e.g., iPAQ 4700, Dell Axim x50V, Toshiba E-800)
New setting screen for changing display item colors
Ability to define "pretext" labels for the appointment subject and location fields in the appointment edit screen
The colorpicker control now allows RGB values for defining colors
A Tap-n-Hold feature is now implemented for all edit controls, such that a popup menu appears allowing the user to cut/paste/delete text
No longer supporting the older Pocket PC 2000 OS devices with this release
Updated the installer to not show the standard warning message when installing on 2003 SE OS devices
Other misc updates and correctionsNote, that the biggest change is the optimization for the new VGA screen devices, so those users who have such a device will notice big improvements with the displayed graphics and icons.

http://www.scarybearsoftware.com/images/ppc_sc_anim.gif

To get more details, see screenshots, or download this update, please visit www.scarybearsoftware.com

Regards,

ScaryBear Software
www.scarybearsoftware.com

Kursplat
01-16-2005, 10:35 AM
What a crock. This site says nothing about PPC applications. Its a hosting company.

They want to sell you web space, not PPC apps.

Darius Wey
01-16-2005, 12:55 PM
No, ScaryBear is an actual software company and the page loads fine for me. Try it again. Perhaps the server was down for a second.

Steven Cedrone
01-16-2005, 02:44 PM
What a crock. This site says nothing about PPC applications. Its a hosting company.

The problem was that one of the links in the announcement had an extra period on the end. The links should work now!

Rob Alexander
01-16-2005, 06:11 PM
It's always irritating when a developer releases a new version and doesn't address the question of upgrades from the previous version. Is the upgrade free? Reduced price? What? Should you uninstall the old one or install over it?

As far as I can tell after looking all over their site, there's not a word about it. Of course, I can always assume it's free and upgrade, but if I'm wrong, then it's a big pain to remove it again. Those of you who are developers, don't forget about your existing customers when you release a new version.

scarybear
01-16-2005, 06:42 PM
Is the upgrade free?
The upgrade to version 3.0 for existing owners of SuperCalendar is free. Just download and install the trial version from our web site.

Should you uninstall the old one or install over it?
Just install over the old version.

Those of you who are developers, don't forget about your existing customers when you release a new version.
We try not to. That is why we send out an email to all existing customers that have signed up for our newsletter, notifying them of updates and upgrades.

Dave - Developer
ScaryBear Software

Kati Compton
01-16-2005, 07:22 PM
Is the upgrade free?
The upgrade to version 3.0 for existing owners of SuperCalendar is free. Just download and install the trial version from our web site.

Should you uninstall the old one or install over it?
Just install over the old version.

Those of you who are developers, don't forget about your existing customers when you release a new version.
We try not to. That is why we send out an email to all existing customers that have signed up for our newsletter, notifying them of updates and upgrades.

Dave - Developer
ScaryBear Software

Cool - we always like free upgrades!

I might suggest that you say that the upgrade is free explicitly in announcements and on the web site. Obviously if you've emailed current customers those most directly affected know, and that is great, but since free upgrades is such a selling point to *new* users, they might want to know as well. ;)

scarybear
01-16-2005, 07:41 PM
I might suggest that you say that the upgrade is free explicitly in announcements and on the web site. Obviously if you've emailed current customers those most directly affected know, and that is great, but since free upgrades is such a selling point to *new* users, they might want to know as well. ;)
I will certainly keep that in mind for the next public notice. For the most part, "point upgrades" are free for all of our software. We define a point upgrade as going from version 2.7 to version 2.8 or 2.9. When we make major changes to an application (such as when we totally overhaul it and redo the interface, input screens, etc.) we do a full version change (e.g., going from version 1.5 to 2.0) and then we will charge an upgrade price. With the version 3.0 SuperCalendar release, we decided that the changes were not enough to warrant an upgrade cost so that is why it is free to existing customers.

Regards,

Dave - Developer
ScaryBear Software

Kursplat
01-16-2005, 07:57 PM

The problem was that one of the links in the announcement had an extra period on the end. The links should work now!

Sure enough. It *DID* seem strange that a contributing member of the site would do that. Sorry I didn't pick up on the extra period. I guess we now know who their hosting company is. :)

scarybear
01-16-2005, 08:30 PM

Sure enough. It *DID* seem strange that a contributing member of the site would do that. Sorry I didn't pick up on the extra period. I guess we now know who their hosting company is. :)
Actually, we have nothing to do with www.scarybear.com. I believe we had the domain name "www.scarybearsoftware.com" long before their web pages appeared on the internet.

Regards,

Dave - Developer
ScaryBear Software

disconnected
01-16-2005, 08:34 PM
I'm still using this app, even though PI is pre-installed on my 4700, because it's uncomplicated and has a nice month-view with icons. I do wish it had more category icons; I think you can create your own, but I'm not that talented. I also wish it had a subset of icons for holidays, instead of all holidays being the same icon. There used to be a today plugin called Kitara Genesis that had nice holiday icons; it doesn't appear to have been updated lately though.

Kursplat
01-16-2005, 09:00 PM
Actually, we have nothing to do with www.scarybear.com. I believe we had the domain name "www.scarybearsoftware.com" long before their web pages appeared on the internet.

The extra period in your URL was not taking us to www.scarybear.com. It was taking us to www.your-site.com. If you type "www.scarybearsoftware.com" into your browser and then add an extra period at the end. That is what was happening. No big deal.

scarybear
01-17-2005, 03:28 AM

The extra period in your URL was not taking us to www.scarybear.com. It was taking us to www.your-site.com. If you type "www.scarybearsoftware.com" into your browser and then add an extra period at the end. That is what was happening. No big deal.
Oh, I see. Your-site.com is indeed the web host provider we use. I'll have to remember to never end our web site address with a period!

Regards,

Dave - Developer
ScaryBear Software