View Full Version : Where should I start?

Lindquist
01-15-2005, 05:52 AM
As some people can probably tell, I'm pretty new to the idea of having a Pocket PC application. I had no idea there was such a large network of PPC software to buy (or freeware) online until just a week ago (around the time I joined this board).

I'm taking Java classes in High School, but Computer Programming has never really interested me much. I know this doesn't make sense, but I'm really interested in developing for PPC, just not desktops. I generally just stick to web design (I plan to be a web designer after I finish high school and college).

I've been on macromedia.com just downloading trials for the many applications they make that I never knew existed (I just thought they made Dreamweaver, Flash, Fireworks, and a couple apps almost no one cared about anymore), and I ran across information on Flash for PPC.

Flash has never been my favorite thing for the Internet, but just the idea of running Flash applications or being able to run flash websites on my PPC drew me into it. I was very excited, I downloaded the Flash player for PPC and stuff, and the whole time I was just thinking "I wonder how much it costs". And then I got to the very end of there long article and it's $500 (more than my PPC cost). So, obviously (being a 16/17 year old without a job) I won't have money for that anytime soon.

My question is, what other "programming languages" (if they are called that) are available for PPC? How do they work? And where can I get more info?

Thanks.

paulzazzarino
01-28-2005, 12:15 PM
You should be able to develop apps with the eVB or eVC++ compilers Both of these toolkits are free. eVC++ and eVB work fine under NT or XP.

You can develop C# applications for free using the command line version.
see howto @ http://www.3zwireless.com/dotnet1.html

You can buy Visual Studio Standard IDE for around $100. Unfortunately Standard Edition does not support CE/Mobile.

Google ICSharp for leads on a free IDE (still no CE support)

VS.NET requires a more modern OS like XP as well as newer hardware

Since you are resource limited try ICSharp first you will be amazed how similar that Java and C# are.